Popular Tags: [View All]
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
1) INITIATIVE: Campaign specific rule 3.b says that the Strategic Initiative goes to the Carthaginian side if all cities on Sicily are controlled by Carthage.

Does Carthage KEEP initiative for the remainder of the game or does this condition only last so long as they control all cities, or does Rome get it back by taking a single Sicilian city?

2)SYRACUSE SWITCHES SIDES: Campaign specific rule 14.a says that Rome takes control of any city with an ancient coin next to them. However, the card itself says "All Syracusan Fortresses without Carthaginian-side land units inside switch sides also."

With most games, the text on the cards over rides the rulebook, and I am guessing this is the case here.

3) Syracuse units destroyed in battle: If Rome eliminates a Syracuse unit in battle (not by green or red card), do they still count as Roman victory points? I think they do, as per campaign specific rule 15.b, but since I am programming the Vassal module, I wanted to make sure that I got this right.

4) Sudden Death: Rome Gives up: The card requires 30 eliminated Roman units. Do units removed by the following count toward this card?

a) Withdrawn units from the Consular Armies card.
b) Units eliminated from Event or Operational cards (Epedimic)
c) Units eliminated from Tactics cards (It's up to the triarii, Naval victory)

My guess is NO on A (they were "withdrawn" and not "eliminated"), and YES on B & C, but again, I want to get this right for the Vassal module.

5) Engaging units.
Example: Rome has 2 infantry units in combat. One is engaged with 1 Carthage infantry unit and the other is engaged with 2 Carthage units. Rome has no more unengaged units. Carthage has 2 more.
If Carthage draws a frontal assault BC, can he add an unengaged infantry to the one that has two or does he have to put it with the unit that has one?
If he has to put it with the unit with one, then if he draws a flank attack BC, can he put 3 with a single unit?

6) Rule 12.b (+3 modifier) confirmation. If you can have 3 units engaged with 1 unit, 12.b says that the +3 modifier only applies to the 2nd cohesion check. So the 3rd cohesion check has no modifier? The rules seem to say so, but I want to check because it seemed odd.

7) Rule 12.e Confirmation. Rule 12.e says "The BCs that engage units and apply their effect as they are played and every time another BC is played."
If I understand 12.b and 12.e, then I performed this example battle correctly:
Example: (in this example, assume every unit passes his cohesion checks):
Rome attacks with 2 infantry against Carthage has 1 infantry.
Rome plays Wedge BC and engages a Carthaginian infantry. Each make a cohesion check with Carthage at +2 (Wedge chit).
Carthage plays a confusion BC and passes the cohesion check.
Rome plays a flank attack chit and has the 2nd unit engage the lone Carthage unit.
Carthage passes a cohesion check with 0 modifier (flank attack chit)
Carthage passes a 2nd cohesion check with +3 modifier (as per 12.b)
THEN you move on to the previously played Wedge Chit (as per 12.e listed above).
Carthage must pass a cohesion check with a +2 modifier (Wedge Chit)
Carthage must then pass and then 2nd cohesion roll with +5 (+2 for the chit and +3 for being his 2nd cohesion check due to having 2 units)
Each Roman unit also checks cohesion with a +0 modifier (for the wedge chit)

Did I get it?

Thanks so much. I love the series. If I did not, I would not have created Vassal modules for all 3 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Ronco Poce
Spain
Sevilla
Sevilla
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
1) INITIATIVE: Campaign specific rule 3.b says that the Strategic Initiative goes to the Carthaginian side if all cities on Sicily are controlled by Carthage.

Does Carthage KEEP initiative for the remainder of the game or does this condition only last so long as they control all cities, or does Rome get it back by taking a single Sicilian city?

Carthage has the Initiative as long as they control all cities in Sicily. If Romans retake just a single city they will regain the Stratetic Iniciative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Ronco Poce
Spain
Sevilla
Sevilla
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:

2)SYRACUSE SWITCHES SIDES: Campaign specific rule 14.a says that Rome takes control of any city with an ancient coin next to them. However, the card itself says "All Syracusan Fortresses without Carthaginian-side land units inside switch sides also."

With most games, the text on the cards over rides the rulebook, and I am guessing this is the case here.

Yes, card text overrides rulebook in this case also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Ronco Poce
Spain
Sevilla
Sevilla
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
3) Syracuse units destroyed in battle: If Rome eliminates a Syracuse unit in battle (not by green or red card), do they still count as Roman victory points? I think they do, as per campaign specific rule 15.b, but since I am programming the Vassal module, I wanted to make sure that I got this right.

Yes, if they are destroyed in battle -with a blue card, for example- they DO count as Roman victory points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Ronco Poce
Spain
Sevilla
Sevilla
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
4) Sudden Death: Rome Gives up: The card requires 30 eliminated Roman units. Do units removed by the following count toward this card?

a) Withdrawn units from the Consular Armies card.
b) Units eliminated from Event or Operational cards (Epedimic)
c) Units eliminated from Tactics cards (It's up to the triarii, Naval victory)

My guess is NO on A (they were "withdrawn" and not "eliminated"), and YES on B & C, but again, I want to get this right for the Vassal module.

You are totally right: A case units don´t count and B & C do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Ronco Poce
Spain
Sevilla
Sevilla
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
5) Engaging units.
Example: Rome has 2 infantry units in combat. One is engaged with 1 Carthage infantry unit and the other is engaged with 2 Carthage units. Rome has no more unengaged units. Carthage has 2 more.
If Carthage draws a frontal assault BC, can he add an unengaged infantry to the one that has two or does he have to put it with the unit that has one?
If he has to put it with the unit with one, then if he draws a flank attack BC, can he put 3 with a single unit?

Carthaginian player can engage anyone of the Roman units. Whichever he chooses. You can go for 3 to 1 or 2 to 1 as you sees fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Ronco Poce
Spain
Sevilla
Sevilla
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
6) Rule 12.b (+3 modifier) confirmation. If you can have 3 units engaged with 1 unit, 12.b says that the +3 modifier only applies to the 2nd cohesion check. So the 3rd cohesion check has no modifier? The rules seem to say so, but I want to check because it seemed odd.

No, properly the rules must refer to "any check above the first" as modified by +3. The second and third would be modified that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Ronco Poce
Spain
Sevilla
Sevilla
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
7) Rule 12.e Confirmation. Rule 12.e says "The BCs that engage units and apply their effect as they are played and every time another BC is played."
If I understand 12.b and 12.e, then I performed this example battle correctly:
Example: (in this example, assume every unit passes his cohesion checks):
Rome attacks with 2 infantry against Carthage has 1 infantry.
Rome plays Wedge BC and engages a Carthaginian infantry. Each make a cohesion check with Carthage at +2 (Wedge chit).
Carthage plays a confusion BC and passes the cohesion check.
Rome plays a flank attack chit and has the 2nd unit engage the lone Carthage unit.
Carthage passes a cohesion check with 0 modifier (flank attack chit)
Carthage passes a 2nd cohesion check with +3 modifier (as per 12.b)
THEN you move on to the previously played Wedge Chit (as per 12.e listed above).
Carthage must pass a cohesion check with a +2 modifier (Wedge Chit)
Carthage must then pass and then 2nd cohesion roll with +5 (+2 for the chit and +3 for being his 2nd cohesion check due to having 2 units)
Each Roman unit also checks cohesion with a +0 modifier (for the wedge chit)

Did I get it?

Some minor mistakes:

a) when Carthage plays confusion you have to roll again for the WEDGE effect.

b) when the Roman plays the FLANK ATTACK chit Carthaginian rolls against that chit with the adverse modifier of +3 for being already engaged as per 12.c. No two check for the same chit.

c) when you move again to the WEDGE you just check once with the +2 for the Wedge effect, only.

d) only the Roman unit that used the WEDGE must check the flank attack Roman unit must not take any cohesion check.

Better than worse you understan the system pretty well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Ronco Poce
Spain
Sevilla
Sevilla
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:

Did I get it?

Thanks so much. I love the series. If I did not, I would not have created Vassal modules for all 3 games.

Thanks to you. Thanks for your effort with the VASSAL modules and your support. It is unvaluable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.