Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Brown
United States
Gorham
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last weekend, I was able to play in two Plugged In events here in New England: Manchester, NH and Camridge, MA. My fellow Netrunomicon podcaster, Phil (aka Quarashi) and I placed 1st and 2nd in Manchester. I did not fair so well in Cambridge (losing 8th to a tie breaker), but had a great time nonetheless. I was thoroughly impressed with the atmosphere of the tournaments as being tough competition but very friendly.

Phil and I recorded two shows over the course of the weekend. The second of these two shows includes interviews with Stuart Wilson and Damon Stone. Many thanks go to these two as well as the folks that ran the events in Manchester and Cambridge.

As for my decks: I need to give major props to my friend Rob (aka tehflash) for his Yogosaurus/Atman/Datasucker breaker suite build for Kit. Below, you can read my thoughts on the Kit and Weyland decks that I played and any tips or tricks I have discovered and used in the tournaments.

Identity:
Rielle "Kit" Peddler: Transhuman (Creation and Control)

Total Cards: (46)

Event: (12)
Escher (Creation and Control) x2
Infiltration (Core) x2
Quality Time (Humanity's Shadow) x1
Scavenge (Creation and Control) x1
Sure Gamble (Core) x3
Tinkering (Core) x3

Hardware: (11)
Clone Chip (Creation and Control) x3
Dinosaurus (Cyber Exodus) x3
Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead) x2
R&D Interface (Future Proof) x3

Program: (13)
Atman (Creation and Control) x1
Datasucker (Core) x3 ■
Deus X (A Study in Static) x1
Parasite (Core) x2 ■■
Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control) x3
Yog.0 (Core) x3 ■

Resource: (10)
Kati Jones (Humanity's Shadow) x3
Personal Workshop (Cyber Exodus) x3
Professional Contacts (Creation and Control) x2
Armitage Codebusting (Core) x2

When Creation & Control first came out, I was most drawn toward Exile and the heap recursion shenanigans. The above deck emerged out of my interest in taking this recursion and tutoring with Self-modifying Code and making it stronger. Rob had an early version built that other than the aforementioned suite, looked a lot like my Exile deck, which I loved but didn't have enough power. This Kit deck also fits well with my tendency as a runner, which is not overly aggressive. This deck favors a single run each turn for the early and mid game. If the game lasts into the late game when the rig is in full swing, things very often go badly for the Corp with more devastating runs.

Here are some tricks that I capitalize on with this deck:
• When I have access to bad publicity funds and my Datasuckers are in play, I will make runs on un(der)protected servers just so that I can spend money from the bad publicity to pay off programs and hardware on my personal workshop while also adding counters to my Datasuckers.
• Credit goes to Rob for point this one out to me: Once I have a couple Datasuckers with a healthy dose of virus counters, a Clone Chip, and Self-modifying Code, I will run on R&D trash Self-modifying Code to install a parasite, which will trash a piece of ICE and then use Clone Chip to get that same parasite back and do it again on another piece of ICE. Generally, this works and is so unexpected that it can be quite devastating for the Corp.
• Having the ability to tutor for Deus X to deal with Snares or bioroid ICE is great and will wipe the smile right off that Corp scum.
• Something I don’t see folks paying attention to when they get hit with a Scorched Earth is only using some of the counters on Plascrete Carapace instead of treating it like a one-time use. You should be able to get at least two uses out of a single copy, which makes it much harder for the Corp to kill you with Scorched Earth.

My biggest issue with this deck is that it can take a bit of time to set up, particularly if my only economy from the outset is Professional Contacts, which is best to put into play after a few turns or mid game. I like to have a solid economy card and either Yog or Dinosaurus in my opening hand. It’s certainly not a slow deck per se, but there are fast Corp decks that can gain speed faster than this Kit build and I have lost games as a result.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Identity:
Weyland Consortium: Building a Better World (Core)

Total Cards: (49)

Agenda: (13)
False Lead (A Study in Static) x2
Geothermal Fracking (Opening Moves) x2
Gila Hands Arcology (Creation and Control) x1
Hostile Takeover (Core) x3
Private Security Force (Core) x2
Project Atlas (What Lies Ahead) x3

Asset: (10)
Cerebral Overwriter (Creation and Control) x1 ■■
Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) x3 ■
Melange Mining Corp (Core) x3
Snare! (Core) x3 ■■

ICE: (16)
Archer (Core) x2
Bastion (Creation and Control) x3
Caduceus (What Lies Ahead) x2
Enigma (Core) x3
Ice Wall (Core) x3
Wall of Static (Core) x1
Shadow (Core) x2

Operation: (10)
Beanstalk Royalties (Core) x3
Hedge Fund (Core) x2
Scorched Earth (Core) x3
SEA Source (Core) x2 ■■

I think of this Weyland deck as pretty standard Weyland at this point; it is an evolutionary product of my first Weyland deck from the core set. I think I do so well with this deck partly because I have just played it so much. If you have listened to me talk on the Netrunomicon podcast, then you probably already know that I LOVE Snare – she (that’s right, feminine) is one of my favorites. I realize at this point that including Snare in Weyland decks is very common, but at one point this wasn’t the case and this deck capitalized on that to the fullest. Now that we have access to Jackson Howard, the ease of capitalizing on Snare has increased by a magnitude. Jackson Howard and Snare are beautiful together – it’s not uncommon now to see Snare four times in a game.

Here are some tricks to how I play as the Corp with this deck:
• If the Runner tries to use Indexing, I use Jackson Howard or even a counter from Project Atlas to mess things up.
• I really like using Jackson Howard mid to late game (if it goes to the late game) to bring back my Snares to R&D because, at this point, my deck is quite a bit thinner and the density with 3 Snares should stop Runners from screwing with my knowledge.
• As noted above, I almost always see Runners use Plascrete Carapaces as one-shot deals, so I will sometimes (depending on the game state) use a Scorched Earth just to encourage them to wipe it out. In the end, I have ways of ultimately getting my Scorched Earths back and it often only takes two at most to kill anyhow, so I have one to spare. My impression has been that once their precious Plascrete Carapace is gone, they will spend clicks going to look for another, which buys me time to do what I need.
• If it looks like I can’t get the Runner with Scorched Earths, then I will use Cerebral Overwriter to scare them from running on everything that I advance. Sometimes I will use my Project Atlas counter to get a Cerebral Overwriter (or even Snare if they keep running my HQ) just to give them pause – you know, scare ‘em a bit.

This deck has only one a few times by scoring agenda points because it often just invites the Runner’s death by meat damage for the win. I did not lose a single match with this build in Manchester.

So, here they are. I hope my notes are useful – I welcome feedback, but I have also already taken these decks apart. I've already moved on to other, more interesting, ideas to test out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.