Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
So I played this game for the first time last Tuesday with the expansion and overall I thought it was really neat. I really liked how we had people focusing on different areas and it wasn't very clear who was the winner till the end. We had:

The Game Owner aiming for the Village Chronicle Strategy. He aged his workers quickly and even got a few Inn cards that would help him get people into the book and get him more points from the book.

Player 2 who went with a Council Chamber strategy and went for the many bonuses you can get from there.

Player 3 who went with a Market Strategy who managed gain about twice as many customer tiles as the rest of us.

and Me who decided to go out in the world and discover new lands.

Ultimately I eeked out a win over the market guy by 3 points making it a pretty close game.

Now overall I liked the game but there was just one thing about it I didn't like. The introduction to the game says:
Quote:

Life in this village is tough! But at least it offers its residents a lot of room
for development. Some make their career in the council chamber, some in
the church, while others journey into the world....
Each player controls the fate of a family and wants to rise to prominence.
But never forget the most important thing: Time cannot be stopped, and
eventually family members pass away. Those that worked hard during
their lifetime may find themselves immortalized in the village chronicle
and thus increase their families‘ fame.

Now I'm usually not one to argue theme when talking about game rules but our Village Chronicles was full of stories about villagers who took 1 step outside the village and immediately fell into the river, and drowned. Or other villagers who took a single step into the council chamber, tripped and broke their neck.

Meanwhile the villagers who actually tried to accomplish things like discover several distance lands or work their way up to being Mayer of the Council Chamber... No room for them.

Let me translate. When I first heard that Those that worked hard during their lifetime may find themselves immortalized in the village chronicle and thus increase their families‘ fame. I was expecting there to be a mechanic where you had to "level up" your worker and if you "leveled them up" enough they get written into the chronicle. Rather what the game offers is "Pa is about to die. Even though he spent his whole life making wagons better off him in the Church." This is basically what happened in our game. Farm and Craft filled up early so when it came time to off someone 2 players in a row did their only travel for the whole game so they could get workers in the travel section. Meanwhile the workers who actually did a lot of traveling are forgotten.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't really like the mechanic where being written into the Chronicles is based solely on 1 room and 2 where where the person dies and I would have liked it if they had based it on 3 how much the worker accomplished as well. As is the rules promote sniping spots rather than working to get a spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see where you are coming from but I think doing that would defeat the intended dillemma of which meeples to kill and which to make keep working. If keep working would mean that they level up and produce stuff, it seems that there would be no downside to it.

I realise that you could make this different by completely changing the mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I view the first generation more like "founders" of the village. They lay the groundwork for progress. Any improvements or higher success is just the next generation following in their inspirational footsteps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kennedy

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But if you were the family whose grandfather was the first guy to fall and break his neck, you'd be remembered in a small village like that....whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stev4uth wrote:
But if you were the family whose grandfather was the first guy to fall and break his neck, you'd be remembered in a small village like that....whistle

Here lies Abner the Clumsy. If he wasn't drunk he should have been.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
stev4uth wrote:

Yeah but only if he falls and breaks his neck in the Council Chamber. If he falls and breaks his neck at home than he should be completely forgotten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And this is what I really love about the Village--the personal narratives make as much sense as you're willing to let them. Your view of things is perfectly valid, but so is the (perhaps more cynical) view that pioneers and founders are remembered out of proportion to their worth.

I won't toss any of history's "greats" under the proverbial bus, I'll let wonderful books like Zinn's A People's History of the United States or Lowen's Lies My Teacher Told Me do that, but suffice to say I've found no small amount of amusement in how the game portrays this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.