1 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Stamping beveled coins on foamcore rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael kei
Israel
flag msg tools
Since foamcore boards are so easy to deform I tried a small experiment. Take a low power press (simple vise is great for it, if you have a few heavy books it will work too) and attach a coin to it (magnets work). Use press with attached coin to apply pressure on the foam board. The area affected by coin will become much thinner and you will see the negative 3D image of the coin on foamcore. You can control the thickness of the resulting coin by changing the pressure strength and duration.

This process is time consuming and error-prone when done naively, the image is not very crisp either. I'm now thinking of ways to optimize the process for the game I'm designing. I'll probably try to make a wooden stamp or something like this.

Update: The image on local coins is apporoximately 0.1mm thick and such small deformation of foam core is lost after a few hours at rest. I tried stamping lines and circles using 0.7mm wire, the shapes remain on the material and are clearly visible, but if you push too had the wire can damage paper "wafers". I'll experiment with different wire sizes to get something that leaves long lasting visible emboss effect without damaging the material.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.