Popular Tags: [View All]
A S
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm considering mucking together some fantasy units for Commands & Colors (and yeah, I know Richard Borg has a fantasy game just waiting to be published). What's a good, economic source for wood blocks in various sizes, including (ideally) something close to the infantry, cavalry, chariot, elephant and leader blocks in C&C: Ancients?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you can buy another entire set of 350+ blocks from GMT for $20 at www.gmtgames.com . Alternatively, you can buy individual blocks in various colors but only in two sizes from Columbia games for 20 cents (20mm blocks)/40 cents (24 mm blocks) at www.columbiagames.com

I don't know of any other places to get comparable blocks domestically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
Home Depot and a table saw

Seriously, I recently bought a 8' x 4' sheet of nice finished plywood (1/2" thick) to make a cantilever shelf around the top of my son's bedroom for an HO train set for $25. They kindly cut the sheet into 4" wide x 4' long strips for me (a manageable size for a small table saw) at no charge (although I think they normally charge something like 25 cents per cut).

You should be able to get a 2' x 4' sheet of 3/4" plywood for $10-$12 and can cut the blocks to size on your table saw. If the blocks are not that thick (I don't know, since I don't own the game), you can get a 1/2" thick sheet even cheaper ($8-$10). A little bit of sanding and staining/painting can give nice results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Darden
United States
Lake Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What size are the blocks in Hammer of the Scots? 20mm or 24mm?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the blocks in Hammer of the Scots are 24mm what size blocks are in c&c ancients?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Infantry - 16 x 16
Cavalry - 21 x 21
Elephants - 26 x 26
Leaders - 21 x 26
Chariots - 26 x 21

The last two are the same block size just different orientations - leaders standing tall - chariots - same "height" as cavalry - just "longer"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks! do you know how many of each?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lehr
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
What size blocks does Europe Engulfed use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Day
Wales
Llandrindod Wells
Powys
flag msg tools
mb
How about scrabble tiles? - 1 sided but lay 'em flat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
The very easy way would be to get a Wizard Kings Chaos expansion. Comes with blocks and stickers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Chris, thanks for the manifest. Sorry I didn't respond sooner and made you get the info the hard (but unfortunately incorrect) way.

The correct (ie sums to 245) manifest:

Infantry - 16 x 16
qty = 232 (includes 4 war machines and 20 spares)

Cavalry - 21 x 21
qty = 75

Elephants - 26 x 26
qty = 10

Leaders - 21 x 26
qty = 6

Chariots - 26 x 21
qty = 6

Flags
qty = 16

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks richard!

i was particularly interested because i wanted blocks for my copy of "clash of empires". the c&c replacement package seems a good deal, but because of the size mix, the 20mm blocks from columbia better fit my needs.

(i've deleted my post with the incorrect manifest so as to avoid confusion.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.