Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Pritchard
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
Hi,
I have the game and just started going through the rules and first play.
Can anyone tell me (other than just chase the Airship which I think I read somewhere in the rules) are there rules/AI for behaviour of Enemy Aircraft?

How do they attack? Do they use Guns and bombs (if so equipped) If so how?

If several aircraft are stored in the hangar of a ship, do they all come out at once? One at a time or not at all?
Apologies if I'm missing something, I just assumed the game was primarily a Solitaire game and so should have rules for dealing with enemy aircraft which are a main factor in the game.

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Fiett
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also would like to get answer to John's questions. The only rule I found in rulebook is:
Quote:
H3. MOVEMENT OF AEROPLANE COUNTER
"Autopilot" moves. In the solitaire game, each interceptor automatically moves to chase and attack Zeppelin, until it is forced to disengage per H12. If the aeroplane counter is off the map by the end of the turn, it is removed from play.
(page 11)

It's really not enough to play this (primarily) solitaire game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each enemy aircraft moves according to a set of rules depending on whether it's facing toward or away from the airship, altitude relative to the airship, etc. The movement path simulates the aircraft making strafing runs along the ship. They use guns when facing the ship and in range and bombs when above the ship. The rules for movement and firing are somewhere in the rulebook.

Frankly, I find these rules very fiddly because player has to track position, altitude, and speed for every aircraft, but then the aircraft does wacky things like make sudden changes of direction. The player tracks all this data at fine granularity but the detail isn't necessary. If I were to redesign the game, I would split airspace into various zones: in front of, behind, above, below the airship, and at various ranges. Enemy aircraft would move from zone to zone, acting and firing appropriately for each zone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Fiett
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fusag wrote:
Each enemy aircraft moves according to a set of rules depending on whether it's facing toward or away from the airship, altitude relative to the airship, etc. The movement path simulates the aircraft making strafing runs along the ship. They use guns when facing the ship and in range and bombs when above the ship. The rules for movement and firing are somewhere in the rulebook.

James, thank you for the quick response. I'll try to re-read rules from this point of view, but it seems like your ideas on enemy aircraft behavior are much better than original rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.