Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so here's the situation. During the stock phase of the game, enough shares of a company were purchased to ensure that the company would come out during the next operating phase. The problem is, all of the yellow tiles with a city on them have been used and the space the new company needs to start in doesn't have one.

What happens with the company in this case? Does it just sit around until a tile becmoes available? Does the stock lose value because it isn't operating? Do you just use a placeholder until a yellow tile becomes available? The rules didn't seem to take this into account, and I'm wondering if anyone else ran into this problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Skulley
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Does it just sit around until a tile becmoes available?

Effectively, yes. Put its home station in the appropriate place and pray (or loot it, even better).

Quote:
Does it just sit around until a tile becmoes available?

Yes. Hellllooo yellow stock.
Quote:

Do you just use a placeholder until a yellow tile becomes available?

Nope, no tile means no tile.

Most likely, to avoid the looting mentioned above, some kind soul will be sure and connect up for you, just so you'll have to buy a train...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Skulley
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The rules didn't seem to take this into account, and I'm wondering if anyone else ran into this problem.

Oh, and I've never seen this happen in 1870. Usually the yellow cities get quickly upgraded to green so there's usually a healthy number available (at least of the straights, the bendy ones are always in short supply), but I could see it happening late game when a lot of route optimization is going on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, that's kind of what I thought, but it seemed a bit harsh. I guess they should have noticed that it wouldn't have been possible to start a new company that turn. This happened during our last game because we had basically three separate lines being built, but we hadn't gotten to the point where we could upgrade to green track. Nobody had bought enough trains, since they didn't have a large network to take advantage of. This was the first game for three of the players and the third for the other two. So I think we know better now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Skulley
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Understandable. I'm guessing you were all relatively new to 18xx in general as well, and if so congratulations on taking the plunge (on 1870 no less)!

We usually see 4 companies open at the start: Mopac, MKT, GM&O, and Frisco. That usually rips through the seven 2 trains in short order, 1 or 2 operating rounds tops - Mopac and GM&O can use 5 or 6 of 'em together, and MKT and Frisco make up the difference. It is percieved as in everyone's interest to get greens out as quickly as possible (maximizes both the Mopac's and GM&O's income, and allows one of MKT or Frisco to run like the Mopac - lots of dividends for everyone but the loser of the MKT/Frisco St Louis race). Certainly other strategies are possible; if 18xx has a weakness IMO it is that it is very susceptable to groupthink, where a given strategy is deemed to be correct and so becomes canon for that group, until someone plays with another group or new blood is added (or a misinterpreted rule is found) and thus something is discovered that was hitherto unthinkable.

Still, lots of fun to be had!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
BillSkulley wrote:
Certainly other strategies are possible; if 18xx has a weakness IMO it is that it is very susceptable to groupthink, where a given strategy is deemed to be correct and so becomes canon for that group, until someone plays with another group or new blood is added (or a misinterpreted rule is found) and thus something is discovered that was hitherto unthinkable.

For example in last night's game of 1856 the Welland opened for $100/share and the whole table drew breath, stepped back and went "huhn'. It was an interesting game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Soo
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Harsh? You ain't seen nothing. In 1856, the THB starts on a double city (green) tile. There are only 2 such tiles which are in high demand. Start up THB when those 2 tiles are used, and you sit there watching your gold rusts away until the brown tiles come into play gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
sooke wrote:
Harsh? You ain't seen nothing. In 1856, the THB starts on a double city (green) tile. There are only 2 such tiles which are in high demand. Start up THB when those 2 tiles are used, and you sit there watching your gold rusts away until the brown tiles come into play :gulp:

Hehn. In our last 1856 game one player went bankrupt right after the 4 trains came out. BOOM! Via player negotiation he got two companies dumped on him with no treasuries and only 2 trains, and his 3rd company was in little better shape. Then the 4 train was bought. BOOM!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... in most of the games I play, the companies that start in the first round are always the MKT, Frisco, and Santa Fe. The fourth one varies a bit, depending primarily on who has the bridge company. The Cotton Belt and GMO are the most common; occasionally, the MoPac will be the fourth company.

I've also seen games with three-company starts (the fourth player and the Frisco director sell out MKT and/or Santa Fe).

We usually don't see any 3 trains in the first operating round except in four-company starts when the Frisco buys more than two 2 trains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike MacMartin
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BillSkulley wrote:
if 18xx has a weakness IMO it is that it is very susceptable to groupthink, where a given strategy is deemed to be correct and so becomes canon for that group, until someone plays with another group or new blood is added (or a misinterpreted rule is found) and thus something is discovered that was hitherto unthinkable.

I remember my first game of 1830. I bought B&O off the top, and won. The group didn't think that was possible. The "B&O strategy" that was believed to be the only one to work was to go down south for a route in 2 turns. I went up to New York, and into the double-loop. Everyone went "huh" after that.

... it never worked again

Laz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.