Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom O'Neill
United States
Pacific
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im done with KS. Its a risk. And Im a bad gambler. I will wait until the game is in production and I can see reviews and sessions. KS is a chance I wont take anymore.

I always was a bad gambler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a kickstarter page? Where?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John F.
United States
Shelton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarc wrote:
Im done with KS. Its a risk. And Im a bad gambler. I will wait until the game is in production and I can see reviews and sessions. KS is a chance I wont take anymore.

I had a burst of pledges a few months ago, and I have decided to wait and see what comes to fruition before backing anything else. Got one so far, and most of the others have all been delayed (shocker).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarc wrote:

Well, I am a risk taker, and have no problem backing KS, so if you ever want to play...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McGee
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Click to view this user's profile.
badge
Uncertainty and Innovation
mbmbmbmbmb
bholmes4 wrote:
There is a kickstarter page? Where?

Crowdfunding: Kickstarter

That's the kickstarter family. Everything related to kickstarter on BGG is there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TOSHIRO MIFUNE
Japan
Iwakuni
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tarc wrote:

There is a story here, right? I'm withholding my vote till I hear me a tale of woe. Bad stories make the best stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never started with Kickstarter. It seems like a good concept, but it's just not for me. I'd rather wait until the game is out, I can play it, read reviews on it, handle it, know that when I buy it I'll get it, etc. Not really concerned about getting extras and all that.

Good for some who like it, not my thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg r
United States
TROY
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MilesF wrote:
I've never started with Kickstarter. It seems like a good concept, but it's just not for me. I'd rather wait until the game is out, I can play it, read reviews on it, handle it, know that when I buy it I'll get it, etc. Not really concerned about getting extras and all that.

Pretty much the same here. I peruse the pages and see what is coming out.

Some of my friends have coughed up some $$$ to get all the little goodies though. None have ever said "That's the best thing I ever did".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan B.
United States
Shelby Township
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am just subscribed to the KS 2013 Projects thread to check out new games that come out and see how certain projects are doing. I have never actually backed a ks game yet and a game would truly have to impress me to do so. It's more of a curiosity thing for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bonet
United States
Larchmont
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am curious what the tale of woe is here. I've backed a number of projects and received one, but some projects are supposedly close to coming to fruition according to latest updates--I'm looking at you Ogre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with KS is often the cost of shipping outside of the US.

It often proves cheaper to wait for the game to hit retail than to back the KS and pay shipping charges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rullman
Sweden
Solberga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarc wrote:

Thanks for the info I guess. I came here expecting something interesting that I could learn from. I agree with previous posters; give us the story, if it is at all relevant, or no thumb from me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarc wrote:

There's more. The problem with KS is not only that it's a gamble, it's that the gamble caters to not only "maybe the jackpot!" instincts, but also stuff like "getting in first" and "getting extra goodies", which essentially has little to do with the game's quality.

The fact that the game doesn't actually exist yet, except from prototypes and knowledge from beta testers is actually less different from existing games than one might think. (Except sheer data size and the fact that beta testers might be more excited about a game than is really true, due to the "getting it first" effect).

But the "get it first" and "extra goodies" charm is from where I see it, detrimental as it shoos away the attention from the real issue.

I would only KS something that I know from beforehand that I am buying regardless of whether it being Kickstarted or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarc wrote:

I'd also love to hear the story.

I have backed quite a few projects and don't feel that I've got anything poor as yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've backed a reprint of Haggis. I'm fairly certain Indie Boards & Cards aren't taking me for a ride. The game exists, and loved by many. I will be among the first to get a copy, and my copy will be cheaper than if I bought it from a store.

Now, I'll be sure to eat my words if something horrible happens with my pledge, but I'm confident that I'll be happy with the KS process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
jonatanrullman wrote:
Tarc wrote:

Thanks for the info I guess. I came here expecting something interesting that I could learn from. I agree with previous posters; give us the story, if it is at all relevant, or no thumb from me.

Why, so folks can then reply with all the "OMG, we've so heard this complaint sooo many times."?

And I don't think anyone's going to lose any sleep over not getting post thumbs. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I've thought about Kickstarting some video games, but haven't pulled the trigger.

Shadowrun Returns
Broken Age
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pepperhead wrote:
MilesF wrote:

Pretty much the same here. I peruse the pages and see what is coming out.

Some of my friends have coughed up some $$$ to get all the little goodies though. None have ever said "That's the best thing I ever did".

Backing Zombicide Season 1 was the best thing I've ever done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Korey Jackson
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a backer for the infamous Glory to Rome Black Box Edition kickstarter, billed as the WORST. KICKSTARTER. EVAR.

I paid $35, checked in once or twice during the kerfuffle, and got the game many many months later. I now have a very nice version of a very good game. These things are only high stress affairs if you become an actor in the drama. I just don't care that much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
I KS'd the very first released KS videogame: Faster Than Light.

Kickstarter works well for certain things. IMO, it works quite well for videogames because in the world of videogames, more $ = more content in most cases. And many of the KSers available are by industry legends like Brian Fargo (Interplay), Inafune (CAPCOM), and Tim Schafer (Double Fine Games).

But in the boardgame world, the "legendary" boardgame developers are already funded and already making new games and already getting them published. Who does this leave? This leaves nothing but aspiring developers. Maybe these aspirants have a great idea. Maybe they don't. But why weren't they able to get their boardgame published by traditional means? A lot of KS projects don't answer why they didn't go the traditional developer -> publisher -> retail route.

And unlike videogames, more money does not equal more content or better mechanics. Maybe - if we're lucky - more money means better component quality, but typically those bonuses are reserved for the higher pledges.

With a videogame, you slap down - for instance - $50 to get the game plus a digital art book, access to the beta, and an exclusive robot. Yet as the KS progresses, your game starts getting more levels, more music, more whatever, all for the same $50 you pledged.

I can't think of a single boardgame KSer that said something along the lines of "If we reach $150,000, then everyone who has pledged high enough to get the game will get 3 extra maps". Typically the stretch goals expand what the $100+ pledgers get but those who pledge just for the basic game get nothing extra.

And of course there are the issues of extended delays and using "exclusive" promos to nab higher-tier pledges...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Rody
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAGIC HATE BALL wrote:

There is a story here, right? I'm withholding my vote till I hear me a tale of woe. Bad stories make the best stories.

I, too, would like to hear the details. Seems like each case on Kick Starter has to be taken individually. There have been some nice Kick Starter successes and patience did pay off for some "investors".

There are plenty of horror stories about Kick Starter as well. Some of these train wrecks can be found here:

Controversial or Fraudulent Kick Starters

Kick Starter Flops and Fails

One KS project that I was hoping for did not fair so well. Details can be found here:

KATALYKA

I find myself agreeing with comments that compare Kick Starter to gambling. Sometimes it pays off well... sometimes not so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Windsor
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
petercox wrote:
What is a kickstarter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rupert Mayer
Austria
Bad Gastein
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have been backing some kickstarters. But before I do so I research first what kind of conditions that Kickstarter is in. For example I backed Divinity Original Sin (PC game) which was made by a Studio I already had games from, they had a sound business plan and timetable.

Also I go into every Kickstarter with the expectation, that timetables will be late by some month's. If it gets there as stated first, great but I do not get grey hair over some dealy because its expected. Hardly anyone on Kickstarter factors alot of unforseen stuff. (Some could argue that this is a really bad habit, but also playing many games in beta, I simply am used to stuff being delayed for some reason or other)

The third is "do I really want to play this game, are there extensive reviews for it from multiple sources or has this company already done games before (I backed Euphoria because Viticulture went well and the guy doing Euphoria has one of the best boardgame Kickstarters already done and had a really well presentation of the next)

And lastly. I write off the money, for me Kickstarter is to support someone else to get their dream product out. I could spend some money on charity (where its a big change the money never really gets where it should go) or I could help someone passionate to get his product funded, and probably get a great game out of it.

I will not back anything that looks sketchy, is only vague on the timetable and has not gotten multiple reviews from different sources. Also nothing that will ask as much for shipping as for the game itself. I live in Europe and I do not want to pay 50$ for a game and another 40$ in shipping and another 20$ in taxes and then probably some more.

There are options for shipping inside the EU for American manufacturers (look at Euphoria) and if those Kickstarters do not want to offer that service they dont get my money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Macias
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aurendrosl wrote:

I can't think of a single boardgame KSer that said something along the lines of "If we reach $150,000, then everyone who has pledged high enough to get the game will get 3 extra maps". Typically the stretch goals expand what the $100+ pledgers get but those who pledge just for the basic game get nothing extra.

And of course there are the issues of extended delays and using "exclusive" promos to nab higher-tier pledges...

Really?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/level99games/battlecon-d...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1425721404/pack-of-heroe...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/773763411/incredible-exp...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/suntzugames/burning-suns...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fowers/paperback-a-novel...

I backed all these kickstarters just for the basic game (yes, I'm that cheap and I already pay quite a bit for shipping, being european and all) and I got lots of nice, pretty, shiny, extra things. For one of them I was an early bird backer, so I paid even less than normal for the basic game. No "exclusives" promos that affect gameplay on any of them. Some nicer materials or foil cards on one of two of them for higher pledges but that's about it, I think.

I'm sure almost all of the games will be delayed but I was aware of that when I decided to pledge. For me it's not biggie. If that's a big issue for somebody, then by all means that person should not back a kickstarter ever. They are bound to be hurt. Badly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TOSHIRO MIFUNE
Japan
Iwakuni
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
jonatanrullman wrote:
Tarc wrote:

Why, so folks can then reply with all the "OMG, we've so heard this complaint sooo many times."?

And I don't think anyone's going to lose any sleep over not getting post thumbs. shake

Because this thread has less than 0 content. Essentially, the OP created a thread to "whine" about Kickstarter and run away. Well, how about providing any facts to his tale of woe? I don't think we should encourage people to make empty threads just to whine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.