Caduceus 3
Scorched Earth 2
Beanstalk Royalties 3
Commercialization 3
Hedge Fund 3
Trick of Light ••• 3
Thomas Haas • 3
Jackson Howard • 3

As promised elsewhere, here is my corp deck that went undefeated at Plugged-In Manchester. I did not do as well Sunday, as by then I was pretty fried.

For those curious about the serial number, it's a little easier to read if I write it like this: (1.2).(2.1).(5). (1.2) is the current version of the FAQ, (2.1) is the most recent expansion and (5) is how many revisions it's been through since either of the other two numbers upticked. Previously, my Influence was spent on 3xTrick of Light and 3xTollbooth, but I knew that Jackson Howard could do amazing things for this deck recycling Trick of Light and Commercialization, plus I needed cards I could play in my Agenda Server to trick the Runner into wasting time and money running it, so there was a lot of time trying out Thomas Haas and Project Junebug and completely redoing my ICE package.

Opening Moves
The ideal first turn is Ice HQ-Ice R&D-Advance. Hopefully you're advancing an Ice Wall on R&D, but a Hadrian's Wall or a Shadow will work too. It can be tricky if you get stuck with Enigma/Shadow as your opening ICE, but I can usually guess which Server they're likely to run first. The game plan each turn is pretty straightforward: 1. Score an Agenda if possible. 2. Advance ICE if possible. 3. Make 1 or 2 possible next turn.

Because both Weyland Identities have economic special abilities, they both affect the shift between the three phases of the game. Building A Better World will give you more cash on hand, which usually means that deck leaves Phase 1 (Free Running) and enters Phase 2 (The Corp can keep the Runner out) earlier. Because We Built It makes your ICE stronger and gives you more money later in the game, so it prolongs Phase 2 and can usually beat Criminals and Anarchs long before Phase 3 (The Runner laughs at your ICE) even begins.

Second Thoughts
Building a Better World - When Weyland: Because We Built It first came out, most people panned it but I decided to give it a shot. At that time, I was already playing Trick of Light/Commercialization, so it was no surprise to me that I was getting enough free Credits off Commercialization that the switch was worth it. What did surprise me was that I was getting more free credits off my Identity alone than I had been with BABW. That those free credits came in the form of Advancement Counters didn't bother me because of Trick of Light/Commercialization, so I stuck.

SEA Source - One copy will probably go into the deck as soon as Elizabeth Mills replaces Thomas Haas. Tagging is not a priority with this deck, but there have been occasions where I could have flatlined the runner if it had been in the deck at all.

Scorched Earth - On the flipside, I could take the Scorches out, but the look of Resignation on the Runner's face when I've confirmed that I'm packing the heat is always worth it, even if they both get discarded.

Private Security Force - I was just thinking about this one today, and I should totally try replacing 1xGovernment Contracts and 1xGeothermal Fracking with 2xPrivate Security Force.

Swarm - I didn't really give this card much thought since it's already packing a ton of Bad Publicity, but it might make a good replacement for Archer.

Shipment from Kaguya - This was one of the last cards I held onto before Opening Moves, but it just doesn't do enough here.

Hedge Fund - Believe it or not, this card barely makes the cut. The net 4 Credits is good, but I usually don't want to shuffle it back in. More Ambush Assets or interesting ICE would be more fun.

Hostile Takeover - 3 copies just works, even if it means the deck is a little Agenda-heavy. It just makes scoring Agenda Points out of hand easier as well as using them as cannon fodder rezzing Archers.

Mala Tempora
This deck is pretty combotastic, so its worst match-up is still Noise. Jackson Howard helps, but I'd much rather be using him to put Operations back into R&D than Agendas.

If you can only ICE one Central, ICE up R&D. R&D Dig is King (for good reason), and HQ is usually safe because your hand is usually full and you're Fast Advancing Agendas. Unless Blackguard becomes a thing, throw Archers onto R&D and never be afraid of having too much ICE there. You may need it in the end game.

If they Femme your Advanced ICE, stop Advancing it and Advance something else. Commercialization will be sad, but those counters will still be good for Trick of Light. Similarly, Advancing Shadow stops adding value around STR 4. They'll just ignore the first subroutine and break the trace/clear the tag. If they Parasite your Advanced ICE, you're in for a wild ride. If you have a good enough lead, you can usually keep the Strength race going long enough to Archer their Parasite or Datasuckers, but if it only has one or two counters, you may be better off just letting it go.

True Colors
This is a Fast Advance deck that totally false flags as Tag'n'Bag, and you should exploit that at every opportunity. Scorch any Runner that dares float tags. If they don't immediately play Plascrete Carapace, shuffle the Scorches into R&D and that should put the fear back into them. Play the Trace game unless they have Link. Keep tons of cash on hand, then use it to rez Hadrian's Walls like there's no tomorrow.

If you have a Server the runner can break into once but not twice, throw down Thomas Haas and Advance him twice. That should let you score in 2 turns with Government Contracts or Project Atlas with 2 tokens. Project Atlas with 2 tokens is almost an auto-win.

Fear and Loathing
If Enigma causes them to play Yog.0, great. Stop playing Enigmas. Otherwise, they're great against Atman, Darwin, and deep R&D Digs. Laugh at Atman.

Jackson Howard and Project Atlas are great for getting Agendas out of R&D and then shuffling Operations back in, which can seriously lower your Agenda Density.

Commercialization lets you bounce back pretty quickly from Account Siphon. I have yet to Commercialization-Scorched Earth-Scorched Earth from 0 Credits, but it's only a matter of time.

Double Time
Government Contracts is the only Agenda that can't be scored out of hand (though needing 2 Trick of Light in hand for Geothermal Fracking is tough). Don't be afraid to rez Archer on R&D even if they can break it and don't be afraid to play an Agenda behind a weak Remote. Early Agendas in this deck are way more powerful than late ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: [Deck] The Great Wall of Weyland 1.2.2.1.5
b a n j o wrote:
I like everything except for Thomas Haas.

Have you give any thought to Matrix Analyzer in the deck? It lets you advance the walls (or agendas) and at the same time provides another tag source to set up Scorched Earth.

Matrix Analyzer doesn't let you advance for free and doesn't solve the problem that Thomas Haas does - bankrupt the Runner so you can score behind a Remote. Project Atlas tokens don't come free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
b a n j o wrote:
No, it doesn't let you advance for free, but it does let you advance on the runner's turn. Obviously, because of the disparity in influence, I wasn't talking about replacing Thomas Haas with Matrix Analyzer. I just think the card works well for what you're trying to do in the deck.

Ah, I hadn't looked at the Influence cost. I would have to cut 2xThomas Haas to put it in, and at that point, they both become Prayer Cards. I've tried the deck with only 2xTrick of Light, hoping Jackson Howard would save the day, and drawing them just wasn't reliable enough that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TL Gorski
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a similar deck myself, it works pretty well. Using ICE that changes strength just always seemed like the logical choice for shutting down Atman and this ID plays to that strength. One of my faves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bestia immonda
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about a FASTER FASTEST FASTESTEST ADVANCE version keeping the 3 Trick of light, adding 2 SanSan grid ( no Haas, no Howard )?
Im gonna try it this night!
Thumbs up for the deck ideas and the dissertation on it!
I second the idea of PSF in this deck.
My 2 cents
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sutcliffe
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
I like this a lot. I think the people trying to focus on the Fast Advance are missing the elegance of presenting multiple avenues to victory for the runner to worry about.

From your comments I think I would be in favour of the PSF attempt. If you score that the runner HAS to respect it and it changes how they play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bestia immonda
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magicdave wrote:
I like this a lot. I think the people trying to focus on the Fast Advance are missing the elegance of presenting multiple avenues to victory for the runner to worry about.

From your comments I think I would be in favour of the PSF attempt. If you score that the runner HAS to respect it and it changes how they play.

I'm always trying to build Corps decks with multiple avenues of victory, so I was planning to keep the threat of flatine ( increasing the SE to 3 copies and adding PSF ), but also improving the Fast Advance option. Not focusing on it, just giving more "oompht" towards this goal.
BTW, the flatline avenue is expected from a Weyland deck, a Fast advance not so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
Looks like you're giving your opponent enough BP do do whatever they want... :/

But, based on the comments you made it seems like you're hoping to catch them off guards without breakers at the very beginning. Enigma and ice wall certainly fit that...

And single huge pieces of ice can be a pain to break through... at the same time... femme can just ruin your day; or a parasite with enough datasucker tokens.

I see this being very competitive in the mid game, but in the end game, against an fixed breaker suite suite, for instance, I imagine this gets rough, especially if you're giving them money. 3 Bp is going to put corroder in range of most barriers, or allow mimic to just chew though your sentries.

It looks good though. If you can get them to go broke, it should work. I played a game online against a very similar deck yesterday and they didn't focus on advancing their ice. I really just chewed through the deck with an R&D lock. I think that if anyone wants to play this they have to take advancing ice to heart. I don't think you can hope to win with a deck like this unless you really commit to advancing ice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Villareal
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I like haas as much as the next guy (in fact, my main deck runs x3) but I feel like ghost branch has what you need.

Consider

Same Influence cost

Fits with scorchie

Win/win if they run/don't it (tags/trick of light)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gumOnShoe wrote:
Looks like you're giving your opponent enough BP do do whatever they want... :/

The most BP I've ever had was 4, which did make things kind of ridiculous, but I still won. Yes, you have to advance like a pro. I really meant when I said that if you aren't scoring an Agenda that turn, you should be Advancing ICE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Junkie
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mb
How long do your games take?

I had a nice BWBI deck that leveraged all that money with Rototurrets and Corporate Troublshooters a few datapacks ago. However, I never took it to a tourney as I feared I would run out ot time to complete both games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Canales wrote:
How long do your games take?

I had a nice BWBI deck that leveraged all that money with Rototurrets and Corporate Troublshooters a few datapacks ago. However, I never took it to a tourney as I feared I would run out ot time to complete both games.

I can't say for sure, but I don't remember ever ending a match with less than five minutes on the clock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before Jackson I had an HB version of this (Archives Memories/Vitruvirus+Commericialsion=profit) and used Draco, troubleshooter and Ash to score agendas with my excess cash. It looks like you could easily have a ton of spare credits with nothing to do with them? Draco is quite nice to be able to buy your way to victory if you are richer than the runner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Kandiru wrote:
Before Jackson I had an HB version of this (Archives Memories/Vitruvirus+Commericialsion=profit) and used Draco, troubleshooter and Ash to score agendas with my excess cash. It looks like you could easily have a ton of spare credits with nothing to do with them? Draco is quite nice to be able to buy your way to victory if you are richer than the runner.

Draco has never worked for me. I've kept more Runners out with Pop-Up Window.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wabi Sabi Will

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Curious if you've made any changes to this deck since you posted it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
photogasm wrote:
Curious if you've made any changes to this deck since you posted it.

Due to the Plugged-In Tour, various online tournaments, vacations, and plays, I had to put Weyland and Criminal down because I just plain hadn't played the other factions since June. So no, I haven't made any changes since posting, though I'm thinking about which Second Thoughts cards go in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuczadosław Kuczalek
msg tools
Have you thought of something to remove some part of Bad Publicity? Elizabeth Mills maybe? Takes one click and 2 credits. I'm asking because I play this deck and I wonder about it too 3-4 free credits for runner every run will be painful...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
radzio78 wrote:
Have you thought of something to remove some part of Bad Publicity? Elizabeth Mills maybe? Takes one click and 2 credits. I'm asking because I play this deck and I wonder about it too 3-4 free credits for runner every run will be painful...

I've mostly been playing NBN lately, but Elizabeth Mills might make a good replacement for Thomas Haas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wabi Sabi Will

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
etherial wrote:
radzio78 wrote:

I've mostly been playing NBN lately, but Elizabeth Mills might make a good replacement for Thomas Haas.

What about Veterans Program?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
photogasm wrote:
etherial wrote:
radzio78 wrote:

Elizabeth Mills and Veterans program definitely sound like the start of a Weyland Never Advance deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
etherial wrote:
photogasm wrote:

Elizabeth Mills and Veterans program definitely sound like the start of a Weyland Never Advance deck.

Well, that turned out to be a very good question! Here's the current decklist:

The Great Wall of Weyland 1.5.2.7.1
Weyland Consortium - Because We Built It
Geothermal Fracking 2
Project Atlas 3
Hostile Takeover 3
NAPD Contract 2
Veteran's Program 3
Hadrian's Wall 3
Ice Wall 3
Archer 3
Enigma 3
Shadow 2
Caduceus 2
Commercialization 3
Hedge Fund 3
Oversight AI 2
Power Shutdown 3
Trick of Light ••• 3
Corp. Troubleshooter • 3
Jackson Howard • 3

You may think me mad for cutting Beanstalk and Scorched Earth, but Commercialization for 6 is so much more effective than Beanstalk for 3, and cutting Scorched Earth made room for the Power Shutdowns. Hadrian's Wall is the only ICE that costs more than 4 to Rez, and I can always Rez it with Oversight AI if I have to. Ironically, Plascrete Carapace is still useful against this deck as it guards Desperado against Power Shutdown.

I cut the Government Contracts because they were rapidly becoming unscorable. I noticed I was spending several cards on BP removal, so I turned them into Agendas, which freed up deckspace for Oversight AI. Thus the deck became solidly Weyland Never Advance.

Advance your ICE, Score your Agendas, Build your Servers. When the Runner gets too greedy, run then into Archer/Corporate Troubleshooter. Sacrifice a Veteran's Program if you have to to keep them poor. If you draw your Jacksons and Tricks of Light early, feel free to use them overscoring Project Atlas. Project Atlas counters are worth their weight in gold. Many a game is won waiting to draw either an Agenda or a Trick of Light so I can grab the other with PA.

Cards I'm looking forward to:
Lycan
Lycan's hypothetical code gate/barrier buddy
Will-o'-the-Wisp (OMG)

Cards I am not looking forward to:
D4v1d
Incubator

Cards I'm rethinking:
Shadow - not getting a lot of mileage here, thinking about giving Swarm another try
Enigma - I still think it's better than Quandary, and hopefully Lotus Field will tone Yog.0 down a bit further, but we'll see.
Geothermal Fracking - possibly better off as NAPD Contract, but in my experience usually better than Corporate War. I'm hoping Lunar Cycle has a good 4/2 for Weyland to give me more options.
Influence - If I cut a bunch for SanSan City Grids, I can go for Superior Cyberwalls, but that will probably shift the deck back to BABW or maybe Blue Sun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip (pj) Fry
msg tools
mbmb
Ok, this plays a lot like the deck above, in fact it is based off that deck. I have been playing this for months and off and on for about a year. I am posting this for others who were asking about a space version of because we built it, and looking at it now, I'm not sure there is enough space in here. Oh well...

Because we built it

Hostile takeover x3
Veterans Program x3
Project atlas x3
Napd contact x1
Government takeover x1

Jackson Howard x2

Ice wall x3
Fire wall x2
Hadrian wall x2
Enigma x2
Wormhole x2
Archer x3
Orion x1

Reclamation order x1
Trick of light x3
Power Shutdown x3
Commercialization x3
Hedge fund x3

Cyberdex virus suite x2
Crisium grid x2
While o' the wisp x2
Corporate troubleshooter x2

There you go guys, this deck has alot of answers, which allows you to get on your feet quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.