Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Sekela
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played one two-player game, and now I am trying the solo mission. A couple questions right off the bat:

1) Special set-up instructions say to choose 4 Crew from any deck worth up to $1,000. Does that mean the Crew have to come from a single deck? (Maybe I am reading it too literally and it just means you can pick the crew from any of the decks.)

2) Do you discard a game timer token only if I take a Fly action? For example, on my first Action for a turn, I attempt a Job that involves Misbehaving. If I botch the attempt and decide to end my turn (since I want to try it again next turn), do I still discard a timer token even though I didn't choose a Fly action? (I'm thinking no based on how the scenario is written but just looking for clarification.)

Thanks,
Andy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Is Jon
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
mb
The way I've interpreted the rules is to only discard a timer token every time you fly. You go through actions very quickly in solo play, so it'd be much more difficult if you burned a token for other actions.

If you used crew from only one deck, it'd eat up most of the crew from that deck, meaning there would be mostly items and gear left in the deck. I think that'd kind of unbalance the game a bit, but that's just my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Evans
United States
Lakeland
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
My interpretation of the setup is that you may select your crew from any deck (or decks) you wish.

As for the game turn, the solo card does not say to turn a game timer token "only if I take a Fly action." It indicates that a turn consists of doing each of the 4 actions "no more than once", as well as "whenever you take a Fly action". This means that whenever you Fly, your turn is over and you turn in a disgruntled token. This also means that once you have taken all of the 4 actions once, your turn is over. The Fly action only serves to end your turn immediately, so if you skip it, you can not perform any of the other actions twice as that would constitute the end of one turn and the beginning of another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Durst
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now for clarification, does that mean that I can choose to end my turn and expend a token without taking a flying action? A couple times in solo I've not passed a misbehave check on a mission planet so I don't want to move so I can try it again next turn. However, with the rules as written it seems like I have to move to start my next turn otherwise I run into the "don't do a single action more than once a turn".

Anybody clarify?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you don't have to Fly to end the turn, it's just that the current turn ends if you do. It's "no more than once," not "do each once." Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Durst
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with that is that theoretically you could spend your whole game on one planet doing "odd jobs" for the $200. This will allow you to win the solo scenario where you need to get $15,000 by farming planet jobs. Admittedly this is cheesy but the rules allow it if you can end a turn without spending a fly action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nachtrab
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wario83 wrote:
The problem with that is that theoretically you could spend your whole game on one planet doing "odd jobs" for the $200. This will allow you to win the solo scenario where you need to get $15,000 by farming planet jobs. Admittedly this is cheesy but the rules allow it if you can end a turn without spending a fly action.

It sounds like you're confusing the "Fly" action as the only way to discard the turn tokens. It's not. It's just that taking the "Fly" action immediately ends your turn, regardless of whether you've taken any of the other actions.

You can't ever do more than one of each action on a turn, so there's no way to farm the "Make Work" action like you describe. In a 20-turn solo game, you could only take that action at most 20 times. 20 x $200 = $4000.

Here's an example of how turns could go:

Deal, Buy, Fly - TURN ENDS
Fly - TURN ENDS
Work, Fly - TURN ENDS
Deal, Work, Buy, (choose not to Fly) - TURN ENDS
Buy, Deal, Fly - TURN ENDS
Fly - TURN ENDS
Buy, Work, (choose not to Fly) - TURN ENDS

etc.

The point is that you can't do the same action twice in a single turn. If you are in a location and you want to attempt a job (Work) and you fail, so you want to stay there and try again, you have to end that turn. If you're in a location and you want to Buy, then you want to stay there and Buy again, you have to end that turn. Choosing to do an action for a second time means you first have to end your turn. In addition, any time you take a Fly action, you end that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
boudreaux00 wrote:
Wario83 wrote:

It sounds like you're confusing the "Fly" action as the only way to discard the turn tokens. It's not. It's just that taking the "Fly" action immediately ends your turn, regardless of whether you've taken any of the other actions.

You can't ever do more than one of each action on a turn, so there's no way to farm the "Make Work" action like you describe. In a 20-turn solo game, you could only take that action at most 20 times. 20 x $200 = $4000.

Fly - TURN ENDS
Work, Fly - TURN ENDS
Fly - TURN ENDS

etc.

The point is that you can't do the same action twice in a single turn. If you are in a location and you want to attempt a job (Work) and you fail, so you want to stay there and try again, you have to end that turn. If you're in a location and you want to Buy, then you want to stay there and Buy again, you have to end that turn. Choosing to do an action for a second time means you first have to end your turn. In addition, any time you take a Fly action, you end that turn.

On your turn, you may take "2" Actions, in whichever order you'd like. You may not take the same Action twice. Taking a Fly Action as your first Action does NOT end your turn (unless you want it to).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Campos
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashitaka wrote:
boudreaux00 wrote:
Wario83 wrote:

Fly - TURN ENDS
Work, Fly - TURN ENDS
Fly - TURN ENDS

etc.

On your turn, you may take "2" Actions, in whichever order you'd like. You may not take the same Action twice. Taking a Fly Action as your first Action does NOT end your turn (unless you want it to).

Thats the rules for the multiplayer. The solo rules would seem to indicate that you could take up to 4 actions per turn, as long as the last one was fly and you didn't repeat an action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sekela
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to those who weighed in. However, it's still not clear to me. The tokens are "Game Length Tokens". They are not necessarily turn tokens (at least they're not explicitly defined as such). The scenario says to return a Game Length Token to the bank when you take a Fly Action. It does not say to discard a Game Length Token at the end of a turn (regardless of whether you Fly). One could certainly argue that was the intent, but it is not explicitly stated.

I played two solo scenarios - "The Good" (which I completed with 4 GLTs left), and "The Bad" (which I completed with a single GLT remaining). I would have lost both miserably if I had discarded a GLT after each turn. (Not that that necessarily proves anything; I may just be a bad space pilot! )

Would be great to get some official clarification...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
kashre wrote:
Thats the rules for the multiplayer. The solo rules would seem to indicate that you could take up to 4 actions per turn, as long as the last one was fly and you didn't repeat an action.

My mistake, I forgot we're dealing with a solo story in this thread. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the card does just say to remove one when you Fly, but the intent is that you have 20 turns. And before there's an "intent vs rules" debate, the Firefly game site has a description of each story card that says as much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Hey, you're touching my face...
mbmbmbmbmb
This is hurting my brain now.

From that site: "This solo Story Card is another good way to learn how to play Firefly: The Game. You start the game with a small crew, and you must race against the clock to try to accomplish one of the three goals listed on the card under "Winning the Game" within 20 turns."

That seems pretty clear cut, but the card is worded in such a way as to make it seem like the card was intentional. Oversight maybe?

I do know that last night on my first play, I followed the "20 turn" interpretation and the game came down to my last token and a last roll on a "cover your tracks" job so it was pretty tense.

Eyefink wrote:
Well, the card does just say to remove one when you Fly, but the intent is that you have 20 turns. And before there's an "intent vs rules" debate, the Firefly game site has a [url= of each story card[/url] that says as much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troels Rohde Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm i am surprised that it could be read in Any other Way than: you Got 20 turns.

Solo play is a Challenge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heidi Stewart
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sekelaa wrote:
Thanks to those who weighed in. However, it's still not clear to me. The tokens are "Game Length Tokens". They are not necessarily turn tokens (at least they're not explicitly defined as such). The scenario says to return a Game Length Token to the bank when you take a Fly Action. It does not say to discard a Game Length Token at the end of a turn (regardless of whether you Fly). One could certainly argue that was the intent, but it is not explicitly stated.

I'm extremely confused on this as well. The card says "Whenever you take a fly action your turn is over and new turn begins." It's the fly action that ends your turn, so what if I don't want to fly? Do I have to in order to end my turn? Or do I just not do to that action and turn in a token anyway?

You're absolutely right that it doesn't say turn in a token at the end of your turn, only when you take a fly action. But it also says "a turn consists of doing each of the 4 actions," which make it sounds like I'm supposed to take all 4 actions and therefore have to fly at the end. Very confusing!

Did they mean: "A turn consists of doing ANY of 4 actions no more than once. Every time you take a Fly Action you must return a token to the bank."? (meaning you only turn in a token when you fly)

Did they mean: "A turn consists of doing EACH of the 4 actions once. Every time you take a Fly Action you must return a token to the bank"? (meaning or you have to fly at the end of the turn and turn in a token)

Did they mean: "A turn consists of doing ANY of 4 actions no more than once. Turn in a token at the end of your turn or whenever you take a Fly Action, whichever comes first."? (meaning you have up to 4 actions and you turn in a token whether you fly or not)

There's three different ways that card can be read!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim C.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure why this is so hard to understand. People are over thinking it.

In the solo game you are allowed for your turn to:

Take each of the four actions once.

IF you fly your turn ends and you turn in a token. (carry out your fly action to completion though).

if you choose not to fly or any combination of other actions, ( basically you PASS on playing the other actions available to you for some reason) then you turn in a token.

So a series of solo turns would look like this:

Deal, Buy, Work, Fly (turn in token)
Fly (turn in token)
Buy, Work, ( pass on the other actions so turn in a token)
Buy, Work (shore leave to remove disgruntled from crew), Fly (turn in token)
Deal, fly (turn in token)

Etc...

Tokens are turned in when you've done all the actions you can/allowed to do for your turn OR when you do your fly action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pixel pusher wrote:
Buy, Work (shore leave to remove disgruntled from crew), Fly (turn in token)

Shore Leave is an alternate Buy action rather than a Work action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.