Popular Tags: [View All]
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was in the grocery store this morning and headed over to the dairy section to buy some yogurt. I noticed they had done a complete redesign of the planogram for the yogurt section to accommodate the latest fad in yogurt technology, "Greek yogurt".

As I don't watch TV or read Cosmopolitan magazine I was woefully uninformed of all the health benefits of this amazing new product, so I had to resort to looking at the nutrition information on the packaging. According to a quick scan of a few of the different products, my take on it was that Greek Yogurt appeared to have a bit more protein, 50% more calories, and 2x as much sugar as the yogurt I usually buy. So I searched around a bit and finally located my standard (only moderately unhealthy) light Yoplait yogurt which has been pushed out of the way to the less valuable shelf space.

Yes real Greek yogurt (I read about it this morning after returning home) is actually pretty healthy, but that isn't what is being sold in the grocery store. Political parties and consumer package goods companies basically work the same way. They take an idea and steal the title but they completely ignore what actually made the idea a good one in the first place.

Whether it is small government, gluten free, organic, or whatever... once the marketing machine takes over what comes out the other end is just different packaging on the same old shit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
get a yogurt maker and make your own yogurt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
dennisthebadger wrote:
get a yogurt maker and make your own yogurt.

If I wanted healthy yogurt it is already available, it is called plain unsweetened yogurt and it is very cheap and can be bought pretty much anywhere. I don't want that kind of yogurt.

My point has nothing at all to do with yogurt, it was about how marketing is used to distort the meaning of various phrases and that the average consumer is too stupid or lazy to see through it. Greek yogurt, low fat, low sugar, organic, etc are just symptoms of the problem. Whether we are talking about consumer products or political parties it is the same thing. People in the US latch on to slogans or terms rather than the bothering to understand the complete package.

This is what has really caused our political problems... gerrymandering, the tea party, etc is just a symptom. If people are too lazy to bother actually looking beyond the headlines to inform themselves and make rational decisions what hope does democracy have?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
but why is that they're so stupid and lazy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
dennisthebadger wrote:
but why is that they're so stupid and lazy?

I have no idea or explanation for that, maybe you can contribute something of value in this area?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.notalwaysright.com there is all you need to know abut customers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
well, for one thing, food labeling (nutrition facts) in the US is a mess.
In the US the label begins with a standard serving measurement, calories are listed second, and then following is a breakdown of the constituent elements.
In Europe It will always give values for a set quantity — usually 100 g (3.5 oz) or 100 ml (3.5 imp fl oz; 3.4 US fl oz) of the product — and often also for a defined "serving". (just copy/pasted that from wikipedia).

i think the european attempt makes it so much easier to compare nutritional values.
but thats just relevant for people who are actually interested to start with.

Why some people don't care? they probably don't know s*** about nutrition.
How much do you learn about it in high school here? not too much i imagine…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
dennisthebadger wrote:
well, for one thing, food labeling (nutrition facts) in the US is a mess.
In the US the label begins with a standard serving measurement, calories are listed second, and then following is a breakdown of the constituent elements.
In Europe It will always give values for a set quantity — usually 100 g (3.5 oz) or 100 ml (3.5 imp fl oz; 3.4 US fl oz) of the product — and often also for a defined "serving". (just copy/pasted that from wikipedia).

i think the european attempt makes it so much easier to compare nutritional values.
but thats just relevant for people who are actually interested to start with.

Why some people don't care? they probably don't know s*** about nutrition.
How much do you learn about it in high school here? not too much i imagine…

I can't really say much about European labeling standards, but clearly Europeans suffer from the same types of problems as US consumers do. Obesity in Europe is only 5 to 10 years behind the US. The UK is right there with us already, probably somewhat due to speaking the same language as we do here so they have been easier targets for US style marketing.

The European hate for "GMO" foods is also very well known, even though in reality it all based off marketing by European farmers to protect their products from foreign competition.

I'm sure there are many other examples of this type of behavior, but European politics don't usually make it into the US news. The US marketing machine is so good that our fake news tends to be better known outside of the US than the real news from foreign countries is known in the US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:

The European hate for "GMO" foods is also very well known, even though in reality it all based off marketing by European farmers to protect their products from foreign competition.

The US marketing machine is so good that our fake news tends to be better known outside of the US than the real news from foreign countries is known in the US.

Did you get your idea of the "reality" of european farmers protecting their products against "GMO" from these "real news" sources you speak of?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do you prefer per 100 g rather than per serving? I like the per serving as long as they also state how many servings in the container. I can do the math, but I am not good at estimating the difference between 90 and 100g.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
My attitude is that sugar should only be added to yogurt in the form of actual fresh fruit. Greek yogurt, as I understand from general familiarity with Greek culture, is just that it uses sheep's or goat's milk rather than cow's milk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
Why do you prefer per 100 g rather than per serving? I like the per serving as long as they also state how many servings in the container. I can do the math, but I am not good at estimating the difference between 90 and 100g.

i'm not sure what you mean by "difference between 90 and 100" or why that should be more difficult to calculate than say, one product with 14 servings of 1 ounce with 4g of fat, compared to a produtc with 18 servings of 1/2 ounce with 2,5g of fat each…

a : serving sizes are quite arbitrary and give the false impression of how much you will most likely be eating. They are rarely even close to the actual amount that is eaten per serving.

b : it's easier to compare 100g of one product to 100g of a similar product than some arbitrary serving size to another, possibly different serving size.

c : it's deceptive in that it creates the false impression of certain, potentially harmful ingredients not being present. from the wikipedia-article: Products containing less than 5 g of fat show amounts rounded to the nearest 0.5 g. Amounts less than 0.5 g are rounded to 0 g. For example, if a product contains 0.45 g of trans fat per serving, and the package contains 18 servings, the label would show 0 g of trans fat, even though the product actually contains a total of 8.1 g of trans fat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutrition_facts_label

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Greek yoghurt was my favourite yoghurt when I was still vegetarian. The imported brand "Total" was the best but also most expensive one. Original Greek yoghurt is a cream yoghurt with minimum 10% of fat. (But can be from any animal.) If you eat it with honey as is traditional, that means you are definitely not consuming something healthy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
Because it makes it easier to compare between products and categories of products. 5% (=5 gram = milliliter) of sugar is 5% whether it is in cookies, yogurt or pasta sauce. The info per serving is useless. Who serves exactly the amount indicated anyway?

As to consumers, they are thicker than bricks. NEW: LOW FAT WATER!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think whether your Greek yogurt is "real" Greek yogurt or not depends on where you buy it. The major dairy product manufacturers have, of course, latched on to the Greek yogurt concept, but had to sugar up their product for American consumers; but there is real Greek yogurt out there. And it is a lot more sour than the usual yogurt (which, in its own time, was also sugared up for American consumers), but it blends well with honey or fruit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Venga2 wrote:

As to consumers, they are thicker than bricks. NEW: LOW FAT WATER!!!

i'll have to skip that as i'm currently on a low-carb diet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't think your conclusion is always true or even most often true.

Certainly "fads" come and go which marketers capitalize on... but often the fads have nothing to do with marketing per sae.

For example "Greek Yogurt"... I switched because it tastes better to me in addition to having twice the protein. I like the consistency of custard vs pudding. And they are starting to come out with low fat/lower calorie (less sugar) versions of Greek Yogurt now that keep that thicker consistency.

Plus there are new interesting flavors under the Chobani yogurt label like "pear". Which are Yummy.

Honestly it is the marketers who drive the fads to extremes in many ways... I think Chobani became popular because it offered something very different. But then all the other yogurt makers had to jump on board because holy cow they couldn't just let something "different" have its market share without trying to get in on it too. And there is only so much shelf space. So the old gets pushed out for while until the fad runs its course. That is the real silliness. *sigh*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:

Whether it is small government, gluten free, organic, or whatever... once the marketing machine takes over what comes out the other end is just different packaging on the same old shit.

The average consumer was well stupid long before that.

Let's go back in time...

Ug do you have any mammoth tusk polish?

Ug, it is right in front of you.

Ug, if it was a sabretooth tiger it would have bit me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meerkat wrote:

Plus there are new interesting flavors under the Chobani yogurt label like "pear". Which are Yummy.

That is just a flavour though, right? they wouldn't actually put REAL PEAR in it, right? I mean, that is why you put "pear" in quotation marks, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To all the respondents who claim consumers are stupid - you do realize we are all consumers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Aren't you glad I'm not the pied piper?
badge
I should be able to get a good grip on my Elephant when it arrives!
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
My attitude is that sugar should only be added to yogurt in the form of actual fresh fruit. Greek yogurt, as I understand from general familiarity with Greek culture, is just that it uses sheep's or goat's milk rather than cow's milk.

That's what I like about Cascade Fresh yogurt. It's made with no refined sugar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fribian wrote:

That's what I like about Cascade Fresh yogurt. It's made with no refined sugar.

how is sweetening something with fruit juice concentrate any better???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
To all the respondents who claim consumers are stupid - you do realize we are all consumers.

but the origial post is about how AVERAGE consumers are stupid!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:

Not a claim.

I've been doing retail for almost 30 years and know consumers are stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Altair IV wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:

Not a claim.

I've been doing retail for almost 30 years and know consumers are stupid.

But they're smart enough to provide a 30 year paycheck for you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.