Dungeon Roll» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dragon Bait Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brenden
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We were playing Dungeon Roll earlier today and this question came up: "Can you use dragon bait on someone else's turn?" We said no, but couldn't find a definitive answer in the rulebook. Does anyone know the answer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Breclaw
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what I see in the rules:

Game Setup section, page 2 if I count page 1 as the first right-hand page behind the cover:
"3) The player who was most recently underground will start as the Adventurer."

Plus

Treasure section, page 11 by the same method:
"Each Treasure token provides the Adventurer with a one-time ability that may be used at any time during a delve."

Using these together, my logic goes like this: Treasure provides an ability to the Adventurer, who is the actively Delving player. It does not provide the ability to the player unless that player is the Adventurer.

However, I think you may have stumbled upon a great variant rule. angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Darden
United States
Lake Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which was once upon a time, the actual rule. We found it too powerful in completely hosing someone in their turn. Maybe with the rule that you can keep the xp if the last level you completed or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Seabrook
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbdarden wrote:
Which was once upon a time, the actual rule. We found it too powerful in completely hosing someone in their turn. Maybe with the rule that you can keep the xp if the last level you completed or something.

I'll drop that to the FAQ too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenden
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Thanks for the quick responses everyone .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navajas
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, I kind of like that idea really. It makes Dragon Bait sort both an "I Win" button and a "You Lose" button. If we ever play again maybe we'll try that out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of us who feel that the game is missing something, I wonder how it would be if all of the treasures could be tweaked to affect other players.

Was Dragon Bait the only one originally designed that way, Chris?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Darden
United States
Lake Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The treasures that are in the final game, no.. they're pretty much working as designed. I did have other treasures made up that let you steal or even swap treasures unseen with another player. So you could trade something useless and hope to get another Dragon Scale or similiar.

In general, adding in a gotcha mechanic for the DM to use meant adding in something extra for the player to use that would counteract that in some way, as the screwage factor was too high. I like simple. I'm typically not a big fan of "take that" in games, but I can see why people would want it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the insights. I love when designers explain some of those kinds of things - things that almost made the final version, rules that were different then tweaked after play-testing, etc. It really gives a nice view of the process. Thanks for posting stuff like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Williams
United States
Stockton
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can dragon bait be used even if there are already 3 dragon heads in the lair?

I had 4 companions going into level 7. I rolled 7 dungeon Dice and got
1 dragon head and put it into the lair making it 3 in lair
2 oozes.killed with wizard
3 skelltons used bait to make into 3 dragon heads now 6 in lair
1 potion left alone

Dragon phase used my
Fighter thief and cleric to defeat the dragon?

Was this a good turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alphaborn wrote:
Can dragon bait be used even if there are already 3 dragon heads in the lair?

I had 4 companions going into level 7. I rolled 7 dungeon Dice and got
1 dragon head and put it into the lair making it 3 in lair
2 oozes.killed with wizard
3 skelltons used bait to make into 3 dragon heads now 6 in lair
1 potion left alone

Dragon phase used my
Fighter thief and cleric to defeat the dragon?

Was this a good turn?

Legal? Yes. Good? No

You should have just used the Dragon Bait to put all the beasties in the Dragon's Lair - then you had one companion left over
(the mage you used to kill the oozes) after defeating the dragon...which, depending on your treasure (both already in hand and the one you are about to earn) - might have meant pressing on to 8!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Williams
United States
Stockton
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
OMG! Your right, I thought bait only changed 3. Where did I read that? Question to my self. thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.