Adam Hoffman
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
Yes, shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber. My name is Roger the Shrubber. I arrange, design, and sell shrubberies.
badge
Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land; nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange & design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Diplomacy strategic power prevent players from taking undefended, owned planets?

I couldn't find this in the FAQ, so I'm guessing that the answer is no because the Diplomacy card specifically refers to units. It seems contrary to the intent of the card from a thematic standpoint, but that's hardly relevant I suppose.

(I think this cost me the game, and to top it off it could have been prevented by leaving a fighter behind at a space dock. It's pretty lousy to have a 6 hour game tanked by this kind of thing.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
It does specifically refer to units; if there are no units, then Diplomacy has no effect on protecting that system - controlling a planet itself is not enough. Even having a single Ground Force in the system is enough, or even just a Space Dock - any plastic piece.

Thematics can always be spun to match a mechanical application of a rule. For instance, in this case, one could say that a system with no units represents a world or system that is not part of the "core" of the empire; the lack of visible military presence could represent some sort of pseudo-autonomy, with less diplomatic influence.

Diplomacy I is already an insanely powerful card, so I don't think it really needs to add more power by applying itself to undefended systems
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hoffman
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
Yes, shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber. My name is Roger the Shrubber. I arrange, design, and sell shrubberies.
badge
Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land; nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange & design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Thematics can always be spun to match a mechanical application of a rule. For instance, in this case, one could say that a system with no units represents a world or system that is not part of the "core" of the empire; the lack of visible military presence could represent some sort of pseudo-autonomy, with less diplomatic influence.

Incidentally, the system in question was a home system, so it's pretty difficult to say that's not part of the "core". (That's also why it was particularly devastating.) In this case it was undefended because I was not aware there is an Action card that allows players to move through systems that are occupied by ships. (I was aware of the tech that allows this, but he couldn't get it.)

Of course, it sounds like this should not have been allowed because there was a space dock present. We were under the impression that space docks were explicitly not units, and that would have stopped the maneuver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True, that particular thematic explanation wouldn't work as a home system, but I'm sure some thematic could be found.

However, I have a hard time seeing a situation where the home system is completely empty. Usually the home system will at least have a Space Dock in it, and since Space Docks are considered "units", they would protect your system with Diplomacy. Granted, I supposed someone could decide to put all their docks elsewhere, but other than the Saar, I don't see that being done very often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kay Schuemann
Germany
flag msg tools
sigmazero13 wrote:

However, I have a hard time seeing a situation where the home system is completely empty. Usually the home system will at least have a Space Dock in it, and since Space Docks are considered "units", they would protect your system with Diplomacy. Granted, I supposed someone could decide to put all their docks elsewhere, but other than the Saar, I don't see that being done very often.

It could happen with home systems that have more than one planet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Duskwalker wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:

It could happen with home systems that have more than one planet.

If Diplomacy has been activated, affecting you and an opponent, all it takes is one unit in the entire system to prevent the opponent from even activating the system. Multiple planets doesn't affect that; if any of the planets has a single GF or Space Dock, the entire system is protected from the chosen opponent.

Leaving your entire home system completely empty of all units is not a very good strategy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.