Mark Rollings
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Cambs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on 2 plays.

I want to like it more, but I liked the simplicity of the original and didn't care much for Europe or Switzerland either.

What I don't like:
1 Set up time is now an issue. Sorting out all of those little cardboard discs (which are sure to go missing eventually) is a real pain.
2 The colours on the cards are hard to tell apart. There should have been a different (limited edition) set for the Markin trainspotters.
3 There are no pictures on the board. It looks like one of those homemade boards. Either they were trying to cut costs or they had to rush it out.
4 The board is now portrait. It's not the right was up whichever side of the table you are sitting.
5 A couple of countries give the impression that routes can continue through them and it's hard to remember that this is not the case.
6 The discs are too small and fiddly to pick up resulting in trains being knocked over.

That may all seem very picky. I'm not out to slate the game - the original is my all time favourite game, played nearly every day of the week. This maybe part of the problem since I know the board and tickets inside out and it just feels comfortable and natural to play.

I'm hoping it will grow on me as I learn the tickets and weird place names.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, after seeing that video review I though they took a step forward with the stackable scoring counters, but also took a step back with the fiddly little passenger counter tokens. Looks like you'd destroy the board trying to pick them up. I'm thinking stackable cones with the different values would have made a better interface for those.

Of course, I've never played the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindsay Scholle
Australia
St Ives, 2075
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Total setup time was two minutes. Thirty seconds spent on sorting the counters. I have them in three zip-lock bags (black and white together). The yellows and reds should be stacked before placing them on the board - I just pick the three up, 1-2-3 (or 2-3-4), and then place them on the board. Next, next, next. Two people doing this cannot take any longer than 30 seconds. Maybe for a 200 cm man with hands built like bricks it'd be a problem, but I just don't get why people are complaining about this - it's not like they're the cardboard bits from Clippers (now there was a problem...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fiddly stuff turns me off. But sometimes it is endurable. At first glance it seems this concept may be better for a computer game. I just want to try the game first before buying to see if the it annoys me or not with _this_ game.

And what's with that f'ugly game board? Where went the board ornamented with the little illustrations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rollings
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Cambs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quixotequest wrote:

And what's with that f'ugly game board? Where went the board ornamented with the little illustrations?

Exactly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCall
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I appreciate the critque. My wife and I love the online game, so we decided to buy one of the TTR editions. We like the idea of passengers in Marklin, but we aren't willing to sacrifice the familiarity of the map (being that we are from the US) and the look. So we're going to buy the orginal.

Maybe someday it will be possible to buy the parts that you want, in order to customize the game. You know, the map you want, the cards, the color of the trains. I've seen an advert to purchase more train cards.

Or maybe a more expensive version will come that has all the pieces and all the maps. It would still be cheaper than buying all of the version. Who wants to spend so much on each edition just because they like a change of scenery?

Or I could just invent passengers in the USA version and print off custom maps made by fans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.