Canada
bon accord
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hey!
badge
What're you looking at!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all the expansions for Zombies!!! (if for no other reason than I am a big zombie movie fan), but had only had the chance to use Zombies!!!5 expansion once, and that was in combination with Mallwalkers and the core game. That time the campus gate came up after the mall entrance and we didn't explore much of it.

This time we played with just the core game and Zombies!!!5 and it was a fast and furious game. This was a three player game with my wife, Penny, and my son, Cole.

Reading other reviews of Zombies!!! I have read complaints about game speed, but I haven't found this to be a problem, with very little tinkering. This session was faster than some, and clocked in at 45 minutes.

I shuffled the campus entrance into the top third of the core deck of tiles (I have found this to make games with expansion packs more interesting than shuffling the entrance into the top half). We used two separate piles of cards: one for the core game and one for the expansion. Players are free to draw from both.

In round 1 two stores popped up from the core set, and in round two the entrance to the university came up. The great thing about Zombies!!!5 is that it has lots of goodies, and named buildings were coming up fast. By round four, the whole campus was milling with zombies.

One very important modification to make when playing with an expansion pack is not to fill the entrance and the four way intersection that comes after it with zombies. We only put one zombie in the middle of the four-way and none at the entrance. Otherwise you have to run a wicked gauntlet to the expansion area and players wisely stay in the town.

By the fifth round, Cole was on campus killing zombies at a furious rate, and had bagged 11 of them. After all, you have to be going for the 25 zombie win at all times. You never know when the helipad will show up, and the 25 zombie kills wins about 50% of our games. (This is one rule you should not dispense with unless you enjoy long drawn out games).

By round six, I had bagged 11 zombies, Cole 12, and Penny 7. Then Cole was killed by a zombie who just wouldn't die, and went back to town square.

In round seven, the helipad was drawn and place by Cole so that he had to cover the minimum distance possible from town square. While Cole was back at town square, I was ready to make my run for the helipad. I had been raiding buildings, and had one life and one bullet left, and I got a little closer. Penny was still back in town surrounded by zombies, due to a zombie master card, but was bagging them at every opportunity.

By round eight, Cole was back on campus, and I was within sight of the helipad. I got a good roll, but was sent in the opposite direction by a card played by Penny.

By round nine, Cole was within five of the helipad, and that was exactly what he rolled. I played the "Where's the Admin Bldg." card, which would have sent him in the opposite direction, but he countered with "Raise you hand" which negated my card. (We try to make use of the discard virtually every turn to ensure a good supply of cards--unless you are to certain to be going to the building on a building specific card, discard it). He killed four zombies and made it to the helipad, winning the game.

Penny had accumulated 17 zombies, while I had 15.

This was a very good session. Penny wins the majority of our games. She claims that it is because she is less aggressive and quietly goes about killing zombies while the rest of us go in for the big kills and the helipad.

The Zombies!!! series is a blast!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Potter
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Are the expansion packs really worth buying?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris carleton
Canada
bon accord
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hey!
badge
What're you looking at!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you liked the original game, yes. Z5 has some very good cards, and the campus is loaded with goodies. Mall Walkers' tiles are also loaded with goodies, the air ducts help you move quickly, and the cards are good. Z2 is a little disapponting, although the uberzombies are a cool idea you can work into variants. Z4 is a good standalone.

I use the expansions with the base game, and I like how they add a new and somewhat unpredictable element to the game. I usually only play Zombies!!! of any kind with 3-4 players, and find with this number that the game is not slow, with or without an expansion pack.

I hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Potter
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
yeah it helps. If I could only buy one, which would you recommend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris carleton
Canada
bon accord
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hey!
badge
What're you looking at!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a tough choice. I would say this:

School's Out (First choice if you are looking to add on to the basic package IMHO): the best cards, and lots of bullets and hearts, so that is a good point. I don't like or use the Guts tokens. I don't find this mechanic adds anything interesting to the game.

Mall Walkers: the air duct mechanic is cool, but I haven't found I have used it as much as I thought I would. The cards are good, but not as good as School's Out and there are as many goodies.

Zombie Corpse: good, but if you're only buying one, just by a bag of glow in the dark zombies if you really feel the need.

Zombies 4!!!: (First choice as a standalone). Haven't used it as an expansion for the basic game, and I don't think doing so would do it justice, but if you are looking for a stand alone, this is it.

I will also post this as a general forum discussion to see what other people think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Markham
United States
Saint Petersburg
Florida
flag msg tools
If only buying one expansion, the School would be my pick. Adds on well to the basic game. The Mall is a very close second.

Quote:
I shuffled the campus entrance into the top third of the core deck of tiles (I have found this to make games with expansion packs more interesting than shuffling the entrance into the top half).

Excellent suggestion! We'll have to do this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.