Subject: (sorta OT) - Spoken Games for the Car rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt S
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I thought "Oral Car Games" as a subject might have given people the wrong idea...

While not about board games, I figured this was still a good place to ask...

I'm not asking for travel-edition board game recommendations; I'm asking for games that can be played in the car simply by speaking (as in, not requiring any equipment) --- 20 questions is an example.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Chess.

Note: this is not a joke.

Maybe start with something like tictactoe to get used to playing without a board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
When I heard the learn’d astronomer; When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me; When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them; When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with
badge
much applause in the lecture-room, How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick; Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself, In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time, Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars. W.W.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is more of an activity than a game. Here is a shortened session report:

Person 1: "I'm going to [destination], and I'm bringing an Angry Alligator."

Person 2: "I'm going to [destination], and I'm bringing an Angry Alligator, and a Bumble Bee."

Person 3: "I'm going to [destination], and I'm bringing an Angry Alligator, a Bumble Bee, and a Cayenne Chile."

Person X: "I'm going to [destination], and I'm bringing an Angry Alligator, a Bumble Bee, a Cayenne Chile, ..., and a Moldy Mushroom."

Person Y: "I'm going to [destination], and I'm bringing an Angry Alligator, a Bumble Bee, a Cayenne Chile, ..., a Moldy Mushroom, ..., and a Zealous Zebra."

You can score points by giving each person a penalty point whenever they cannot remember what comes next fast enough. Lowest score wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. the best one I know is perculiarly British...
In "Pub Cricket", one person starts off in bat and watches out of the window for a pub. They score one run for every leg in the pub name, e.g. "The Spotted Cow" earns you 4 runs, "The Swan" gets you two, or you might be really lucky and get "The Crab & Lobster" (20 runs) or the splendidly named "Twenty Churchwardens" (40 runs!).
If you see a pub name with no legs (e.g. "The King's Head", you're out and the other person is in bat. Each player gets two turns being in bat.
However, I realise this may not be of much use in America, where neither pubs nor cricket are well known.
I'm sure you could probably come up with an equivalent US-based game ("Diner Baseball", maybe? )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Steerpike wrote:
I'm sure you could probably come up with an equivalent US-based game ("Diner Baseball", maybe? )

Actually, the problem is the names here tend not to be leggy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Steerpike wrote:

Actually in my experience, most car trips are taken on the Interstates, where you don't see any thing but bilboards... so you have to do something with bilboards rather than actual buildings.

But you are right about most of resturaunt names not really having legs in them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any of the collaborative storytelling games would work, I think:

nanofiction/once upon a time/Munchausen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Melsana wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

Actually in my experience, most car trips are taken on the Interstates, where you don't see any thing but bilboards... so you have to do something with bilboards rather than actual buildings.

Actually, to be honest it doesn't even really work in this country any more due to the increase in bypasses and motorways. I tried to teach it to my children recently on a long journey and there was about half-an-hour gap between each pub - they were not impressed

Here's an idea for "Billboard Baseball". You get the Scrabble score for each letter in the name of the Restaurant/Mall/etc. until you get to a letter that scores 1 (e.g. 4 for Wendy's, 8 for McDonald's). If it starts with a letter that scores 1, you're out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Glover
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
GHOST!
A good game I remember from my teenage years is "Ghost." It is a spelling and vocabulary game. The idea is players take turns in order saying a letter that A)does not complete a word, and B)can extend the current run of letters to form a real word.

If you complete a word, everyone points and laughs at you and you get a letter in "G-H-O-S-T". When you spell out ghost, you're out of the game. Last person left wins.

Words with 1, 2, or 3 letters are not penalized. Similarly, words with 1, 2, or 3 letters can not satisfy a challenge. Basically, words fewer than 4 letters do not count as words for the purpose of this game. In addition, no proper nouns or abbreviations are allowed.

Challenges: If you think someone has added a letter that can't result in the creation of a real word, you can challenge him. If he can't provide a real word longer than 3 letters, he takes a Ghost letter. If he can, the challenger takes a Ghost letter.

The next round is started by the winner of a challenge, or the person next in turn after the player who completed a word.

Example of play:
Anna: "A"
Bill: "N"
Carl: "T"
Anna: "I"
Bill: "Q"
Carl: "U"

Now, Anna is in a tough position. If she says E, of course she'll take a Ghost letter. If she's clever, she'll say "I". She does.

Bill is taken aback by this gambit. "ANTIQUI? There's no word that starts with that. I challenge."

Anna tells him that she was thinking of ANTIQUITY, and everyone commmences pointing and laughing at Bill. Bill takes a hit, and Anna starts the next round.

A second example with no challenges:

Anna: Q
Bill: U
Carl: A
Anna: R
Bill: T

Everyone: Ha ha, you spelled QUART!
Bill: NO! I was going for QUARTER! Ugh!
Everyone (point and laugh at Bill)

I suppose you could play without the pointing and laughing, if you really felt the need to be civil to each other. This is a really simple and entertaining game that you can while away many hours with.

Edits: Clearified the rules for number of letters allowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie McQuinn
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this, and will try it with my family... however, I'm not sure I understand the rules...

HBGlover wrote:
Example of play:
Anna: "I"
Bill: "Q"
Carl: "U"

Now, Anna is in a tough position. If she says E, of course she'll take a Ghost letter. If she's clever, she'll say "I". She does.

In this example, wouldn't the game have ended with Carl's first letter, when he created "ANT" or is there a minimum number of letters rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost sounds cool.

One I have often played, we call 'Guess what I am thinking of".

Its similar to 20 questions.

The player who begins thinks of a word which is a person, place, or thing. THey say what letter it starts with. If the thing has multiple words, they say the first letter of each word.

Players ask questions, which do not have to be yes or no questions, about it, until they are able to guess it.

However, there are some qualifications:

1) A player may not ask 'what is its purpose' or an equivalent question. Becaue its almost always a broken question. They my ask yes or no questions about its purpose.

2) If the answer to the question would be a word or derivative of a word in the answer, the player says 'the answer to that is the word in the answer that begins with (letter)'. For example, if the thing was "Steel Pipe" and the question was 'what is it made out of', the answer could be 'its made out of the word in the answer that starts with S'

In answer to "animal, vegetable, or mineral", a place tends to be all three. Something that can be made out of wood or metal would be 'vegetable or mineral'. Something made from a combination of these would be both.

Some good starting questions are:

Person, place or thing?
Animal, vegetable or mineral?
Manmade or natural?
Real or imaginary?
Size? Shape? Color?
What is it made out of?

This is often followed by yes or no questions about its purpose, or things such as 'do you have one?', 'when was the last time you saw/used one'?, 'where would you be likely to find of of these', etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Chiriatti
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another game you might consider is the "name game" or "famous names"

Everyone in turn says a name, you must use the first letter of the last name from the player before you as the first letter of the name you use.
(I know that sounds complicated, I have provided an example below)

If someone uses a name with the same letter in their first name and last name it reverses the direction of the game.

If you use a name that has already been used you are out of the game. (Or in a more friendly game, you must come up with another name...)

If you can't come up with a name on your turn in a reasonable amount of time, you are out of the game. (Use the jeopardy theme song to move the game along...)

Here's an example: (three player game)

player 1: Jackie Chan
player 2: Charlize Theron
player 3: Tiny Tim
(reverses direction of game so it's player 2's turn not player 1)
player 2: Timothy Dalton

Some notes to this game:

When teaching other people how to play the game you will be using some names in your examples of play. Those names are also "out of play" because they have now been used.

When playing this game a second or third time it can get hard, as the names from the previous games are "out of play".

When playing with younger players, you might allow them to use names of their friends, neighbors, teachers, etc to give them more names to draw from...

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Romano
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamie wrote:
I like this, and will try it with my family... however, I'm not sure I understand the rules...

HBGlover wrote:
Example of play:

In this example, wouldn't the game have ended with Carl's first letter, when he created "ANT" or is there a minimum number of letters rule?

If I remember correctly, I've always played with the rule that a word must have at least three letters before it qualify as a "whole word."

So, according to that rule, Carl would have indeed been out when he called out "T".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carlton
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I read this on Spielfrieks discussion group once, although I have never tried it.

Two people think of a word. Once they have one in mind, one of them counts aloud to three. Then both players speak their word. Keep repeating this until each player says the exact same word. You cannot repeat words already said.

Example:
Round One
Player A: "Baseball"
Player B: "Golden Retriever"

Round Two
Player A: "Tennis Ball"
Player B: "Frisbee"

Round Three
Player A: "Fetch"
Player B: "Fetch"

Like I said, it's not my game, so if anyone has better details, please correct me or add to the description. I always thought it sounded like a fun game to pass the time on long road trips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Melsana wrote:

But you are right about most of resturaunt names not really having legs in them.

Burger King (2)
Dairy Queen (2)
(anything mentioning Chicken) (2)
Big Boy (2)
Starbucks (4)
Red Lobster (8?)
Applebee's (6)
Long John Silver's (1)
etc

Anyhow, you could pick something else on the billboards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stven Carlberg
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost: In college we also played a version where you could insert a letter anywhere into the string of letters given by the previous player, not just at the end. e.g.:

Ralph: R.
Stven: RS.
Ralph: BRS.
Stven: BRSS.
Ralph: BRSLS.
Stven: BRSOLS.
Ralph: (counting) Oh no, that's going to end on me! Wait a minute....
Stven: Give up?
Ralph: No. I'm thinking.
Stven: Give up?
Ralph: Shush. RBRSOLS.
Stven: RBRSOLS?
Ralph: RBRSOLS.
Stven: Rubber soles is two words, you know.
Ralph: Well, are you going to challenge?

And so on.

We also extensively played a game called Botticelli, a question and answer game where you must stump the player on an indirect question in order to win the right to ask a direct question. It's complicated and takes a nice long attention span, but if you're interested I can tell you the rules.

Lately, though, the car game I enjoy playing is a simple one of yes-and-no questions where the players agree on a category and then take turns thinking up an answer to be guessed. We've used categories such as movies, which work fine if everybody has a reasonable knowledge of movies, and of course you try not to pick something the other players have never heard of. The game itself isn't horribly challenging since you can ask as many questions as you need to get to the answer, but it leads to entertaining conversation about the chosen category.

Possibly the category that works best for the randomest collection of players is places.

Sample round:

Stven: Okay, I've got one.
Suzan: Okay, is it a real place this time?
Stven: Yes.
Suzan: I don't want to wind up in Never-Never Land again.
Stven: No, it's a real place.
Suzan: Is it on the planet Earth?
Suzan: Is it in the northern hemisphere?
Suzan: Is it in North America?
Stven: No.
Suzan: Is it in Europe?
Suzan: On the continent?
Suzan: In England?
Suzan: Is it Liverpool?
Suzan: Is it London?
Suzan: Is it a city?
Suzan: Is it a building?
Stven: Mmm.... no.
Suzan: Is it a piece of land?
Stven: Mmm.... sort of.
Suzan: Is it outside?
Suzan: Have I ever heard of it?
Suzan: Is it someplace a tourist would visit?
Suzan: I know -- it's Stonehenge, isn't it?
Stven: You got it!

And so on.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
What ages will be riding with you? If you don't have kids, then these probably won't work.

Here are games we play, some are better than others, my kids are 6, 9 and 12:

I have a box of trivial pursuit cards in the car and we take turns reading the questions to each other. We've gotten into some great discussions with these. Stop at any goodwill and you can find some for cheap.

Mad Gab was very amusing to my children (not me so much) for a while, that's another one that I got at goodwill and just put the cards in the car.

My six year old likes to play guess the animal. It's like twenty questions only it's always an animal.

We tried playing Scattergories last time we travel and it worked pretty well. All of my kids have a clipboard that opens to store papers, etc, so we used that for Scattergories.

We do Mad Libs which my kids find uproariously funny. Their laughter sends me into fits as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Glover
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
Re: Ghost -- # of letters
Well, I said that 2 and 3 letter words "don't count" but that is sort of vague, I guess. I'll go ahead and edit that. To clarify, I've always played that words with 1, 2, or 3 letters are not penalized, and that words with 1, 2, or 3 letters can not satisfy a challenge. Basically, words fewer than 4 letters do not count as words for the purpose of this game.

For example, AGO would not cause a penalty, nor could it satisfy a challenge by itself. AGONY would satisfy the challenge, because it is more than three letters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Peters
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Powers:Coleridge:Milton: Faith...must be, if anything, a clear-eyed recognition of the patterns and tendencies, to be found in every piece of the world's fabric, which are the lineaments of God.
badge
That's Tim Powers' fictional Samuel Coleridge "quoting" John Milton in _The Anubis Gates_.
mbmbmbmbmb
My family plays two sorts of games on the highway:
1) Letters

Players try to find each letter of the alphabet in sequence, beginning with A and ending in Z.
Acceptable candidates are the first letter of any word printed on an immovable object. (If you're feeling generous, an X may be the second letter of the word.) Players claim a letter by bellowing the containing word and pointing.
No two players may use the same instance of the same letter.

Variants:
a) One may block an opponent from using a letter by bellowing & pointing a letter that you don't need.
(Example: Art has his F, and is looking for a G; Bill has his K, and is looking for L. The car passes a sign that says "Car Pool Lane Ahead": Art bellows "Lane!" and points to the sign. Bill grumbles, and waits for the next such sign.)
b) (Advanced) Rather than only restricting one physical instance of a given letter, the use of a word blocks all other players from selecting that word. (Back to our example: if Art bellowed "Lane!" - and points at an instance of the word - neither Bill nor Art would be able to use the word "Lane" to achieve their L in future.)
c) Go from Z to A instead.
d) Instead of using words on immovable objects, use lettering on other vehicles instead. (Art bellows "Loomis!" as a Loomis Enterprises dumptruck passes in the other direction.)
e) Use the make & model of vehicles that pass as the source of words instead of signs that are passed. ("Lincoln Zephyr!" bellows Art.)
f) Use the first (or last) letter in license plates on vehicles that pass.

2) Animals
(Basically Stven's category game: but my children prefer Animals.)
Scott: "I'm thinking of an Animal."
Nate: "Is it a Pony?"
Kemma: "Nate! That's not a good question! Is it a mammal?"
Scott: "Yes."
Nate: "It's a Pony!"
Scott: "I was answering Kemma."
Kemma: "Is it a herbivore?"
Nate: "Ponies are herbivores."
Scott: "No."
Nate: "Ponies _are_ herbivores!"
Scott: "Yes, Nate."
Kemma: "Is it bigger than Nate?"
Kemma: "Is it in the Cat family?"
Nate: "Is it a Leopard?"
Kemma: "Ooh! Leopards are _so_ cute."
Scott: "Yes. Now it's Nate's turn."
Kemma: "Hey! _I_ want to go next."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Deagan
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It doesn't fit your reqest exactly, but Ghoulash http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2402
is a great car game. All interaction is spoken, players mark pages with results (it's a free print and play game.)

This knocks the driver out of play, but works okay for the front seat/back seat passengers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
JOHN: I'm going on holidays and I'm taking a jumper.
ROBYN: I'm going on holidays and I'm taking a coat.
JOHN: You can't come.
HARLEY: I'm going on holidays and I'm taking a jumper.
JOHN: You can't come either.
JOHN: I'm going on holidays and I'm taking Jenny.
ROBYN: I'm going on holidays and I'm taking rum.
JOHN: OK, you can come.
HARLEY: Aww! I'm going on holidays and I'm taking a cat.
JOHN: Nope, you're staying home.
JOHN: I'm going on holidays and I'm taking a jet ski.
ROBYN: I'm going on holidays and I'm taking relatives.
JOHN: Yep, you're still coming.
HARLEY: I'm going on holidays and I'm taking a horse.
JOHN: Cool, you're coming at last!
ROBYN: OK, my turn to make one up.

For those who aren't following, the starter of the game makes up a rule about what you're allowed to take on holidays / have for dinner / buy at the shop, and the other players need to infer the rule from the examples. Just like Zendo with no chance of being caltropped! In this case, the rule is that the thing you're taking must start with the same letter as your first name. There are usually a limited number of examples that people can figure out, but this works well at least once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"Today is the yesterday you won't be able to remember tomorrow" -Pinkwater
mbmbmbmbmb
I once wrote an RPG just for those types of occasions. There is an incomplete, free, teaser version online at http://www.panix.com/~sos/rpg/sherpa.html - the complete version is only available in hardcopy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Miller
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Twilight Dipper
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I remember a James Thurber column in which he describes Ghost at length. He scoffed at regular Ghost, in favor of "Superghost", which is essentially the insert-a-letter-anywhere variant described above. It might be in "Thurber Carnival."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Newman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There's the game Malarkey. One person reads an Imponderable from the card (like "Why do dogs have wet noses?") and everyone takes a turn describing their answer. If they describe the right answer, they get more points and are out for the round, but otherwise, each player then secretly votes for another person's answer, and each vote is a point for that player. You could have the other players in the car make their votes in secret and then have the driver announce their vote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erika Kern
United States
Snellville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if this game has a name, or where/when we started playing it, but it goes like this: There are 2 teams. Whatever side of the car you are on determines your team. Those on the right look out of their window, and those on the left look out of theirs. When you come across a field with cows in it, you quickly count up how many are there. This is your score. Each side gets to add cows onto their score until they pass a cemetery on their side of the car. When that happens, they lose their cows. Unfortunately, this is a never-ending game, so you just play until you get tired of counting cows....or you can play to a pre-determined number of points. We played it that way once, and my husband was driving....he was one cow away from winning and there was a cemetery on his side of the road. The passenger side was just a few points away from winning and we could see another field up ahead. Victory was OURS...so my husband made a U-turn and killed all of our cows!soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.