Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played several 2p games of CO2 and it always seems like after five decades the game has overstayed its welcome. Both players are at the top of every expertise track, and if I recall correctly there are not a lot of productive actions left, the UN goal cards pretty much having all been claimed.

I noticed in an image comment of all places that Vital suggested playing only four decades with two players. I'm just wondering if anyone has tried this and can let me know if it works better or not.

Also, do you modify the 350 endgame rule in this case to allow the game to end in the third decade?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
I shall direct you to this thread where you will learn more: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/882709/2-player-variant-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Richard indicates, I have played just 4 decades with two players many times. I greatly prefer it to five.

I played the game just last night after a long time away (many months) and mistakenly ended up letting the game end on the third round when the pollution returned under 350 (I just forgot the rule). That seemed a little too quick for my tastes, personally. It wasn't terrible or anything, but the final scores were low and quite close (100 to 98), and we hadn't had much of an opportunity to grab UN goal cards or wrest control of the regions away from one another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys. I should have checked the Variants forum (I only searched General).

Ben, I take it you modified the game end rule to allow the game to end in the third decade if ppm returned to below 350? Maybe the game would work better without that rule altogether with 2p. At least it's one less thing to teach, and if the premature end is a little too premature, I'll scrap it entirely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
QBert80 wrote:
Ben, I take it you modified the game end rule to allow the game to end in the third decade if ppm returned to below 350? Maybe the game would work better without that rule altogether with 2p. At least it's one less thing to teach, and if the premature end is a little too premature, I'll scrap it entirely.

More accurately, I just forgot the "only after the 4th decade" requirement (and my copy is direct from last Essen, so the rulebook doesn't say anything to the contrary). Once we tallied the scores, it dawned on me that this was too early.

So, yes, if you're playing two player I would suggest just playing 4 rounds (or until pollution hits 500) and leave out the other rule entirely. A 3-decade game isn't long enough.

It's a very two-player game, though I personally prefer it with three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have actually written the missing rule in ink in my rulebook since I keep forgetting about it! I believe the last 2p game I played ended after the third decade (again, by mistake) and I do remember it seeming a bit early.

Quote:
It's a very two-player game, though I personally prefer it with three.

Unfortunately opportunities to play games with more than two are few and far between for me these days. I have yet to play CO2 with more than two, but I imagine the game will increase in depth exponentially with more players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan McNeely
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I tried it for the first time last night. We played to six decades by accident. Came close to burning the planet to a crisp in decade four, but we backed it off well enough to survive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.