Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BGG Admin
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
Another great session with 4. Nick, Craig, Charlie and I took on some games.

On the table: Nascar Daytona, Keytown, Hell Rail

Daytona Don't ask me why. I don't even like race games (although I have become fond of Um Reifenbreite and Formula De) In the mall they had 25% off at the Nascar store...I went into buy the knock off of the Macgartlin card game but after one year they were sold out. So, with the urge to buy something, I got the Nascar Daytona Game. They apparently make 4 versions each with a different track. It promised to be the best Nascar racing simulation board game around.

Basically it is a pretty board of Daytona something akin in quality to Formula De or Detroit Cleveland. The cars are excellent. They are very small scale replicas something like 1:144 or something, but they look great and it comes with 5. I would actually like 5 more. They look like mini matchbox cars.

Now comes the bad part....I am not overly fond of Nascar but, after a play....it is somewhat true to Nascar.....dull. (please I do not mean to offend if you like Nascar as I have been know to stare at the tube consuming alcohol for many hours watching the cars go around). To start the race you spin on a time trial spinner. Low time takes the pole position and the race is off. The base mechanic is a 10 sided die with the numbers 7,8,9 and chance. True to Nascar, you roll a die and move. If you are bumber to bumber in front or in back of a car you may add two to your die roll....if one space away you add one.....this is the main drafting mechanic. It forces the pack to stay together as in a Nascar race. Also, the movement rules allow for a sideways move not just forward diagnal like most racing games to allow you to stay in the pack. And, truthfully, if you fall out of the pack by a bad roll, you are in deep doo doo. If you roll a chance card, you have other problems.....think random event. Glare on the windshield move only 6, that sort of thing. There is also a bonus deck....to draw from the Chance card....ie, you have great skill in the turn, move 9 and draw a bonus card....I saw ones and twos.

The other piece of interest is the pitting. A nascar can only go 4 laps in the game without gas and tires. We only ran 4 laps by the way and entered the pit to see what happened. In the pit you have 3 choices some of the time. A complete pit which gives you everything, a 4 tire which gives you 2 laps and a 2 tire which gives you 1 lap. I assume these are choices made in caution laps. The pit is handle by times from three different spinners depending on the type of pit you make......I did not get into a lot of detail on this as we quit here and Douglas was playing with us....he won by the way. There looks like there may be some strategy here but I really need to read the rules in more detail.

The game calls for 10 laps or 20 for full realism. So, how was it?.....just ok. I would try it again. You must stay in the pack and the game looks good. But, it is roll and move. Beside staying in the pack there is not a whole lot of thought involved (again,,,,maybe the pitting after I finish all the rules). It appears that a key roll on the last lap will cause the winner and make it a crap shoot of rolling dice for 40 minutes and having no control. Again, like Nascar....drink some beer, roll some dice.....you know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Fat Tony
United States
Fairfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a description of a different game, not NASCAR Champions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.