Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Haverty
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I realize this is only the second BGG.CON but it is also my first gaming convention of any kind. I'm wondering how everyone decides what games to bring with them? Do you bring the ones you like the most and want to play, or the ones you want to try, or the ones you think others might want to play? Do most people just play games out of the game library? etc.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tex tex
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few similar replies in other threads,so I will be brief to the amazement of many.
You do not have to bring any, especially if you are flying. Driving makes it easier to bring some. There will be plenty of games there to play.
However, if there is one game (or more) that you really, really, need to play (for me Power Grid) then brining a copy can be a good idea. Of course, it willrequire other willing players in either case.
The Library at bgg.con 1 was AMAZING.
I noticed I did get more sleep at FallCon 18 than at bgg.con 1. I suspect that trend will continue with bgg.con 2 and FallCon 19. Sleep lots on the plane flying in; you will need a reserve bank of sleep.

And check out the responses in the other threads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
What day is the door prize drawing held on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Huston
United States
London
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is quite a different experience than other game cons, even if you have attended some or many others. I myself have been at over 70 game cons in the past 20 years, and found bggcon last year to be a unique experience.

a) Biggest difference is the famous game library. Essentially every game anyone would want to play, up to games released within the previous 2 weeks, are on hand for free borrowal.

b) almost everyone is there to play the full 16 hours a day

c) pickup games are the rule, not the exception. Although, as time gets closer, a lot of games will get scheduled, you can choose not to sign up for anything, and will have no problem finding games to play. The longest I went without a game was roughly 20 minutes - in the 4 days

- Jon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Lutz
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
renvhoek wrote:

a) Biggest difference is the famous game library. Essentially every game anyone would want to play, up to games released within the previous 2 weeks, are on hand for free borrowal.
- Jon

Jon - this sounds great. It also sounds a lot like the Columbus Area Boardgamers (CABS - www.buckeyeboardgamers.org) supported Origins Board and War rooms. While there are scheduled events, I played mainly pick up games. Origins also has thier own, rather impressive, games library but I am not sure it is larger than the CABS library (over 400 games) or not (I'll ask Joe Miller next time I see him). The CABS rooms had all the big names stop by as well: Reiner Knizia, the folks from Rio Grande Games, etc...

While it is one of the larger conventions and some may feel intimidated by the crowds; the board game area is friendly and welcoming.

Maybe we will catch a game of PG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.