JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, goodness, I am so ashamed to admit that I've watched American Inventor, it's really a bad show. I mean, I'm curious to see what ideas people have thought of, but the sappy music, fake drama--ug!

Yet, I tape it and watch it.

The last two weeks they've had people who have created games. I was curious if anyone else saw this.

The guy last week was rejected for his table hockey-esque game and this week they said yes to a guy who came up with a spelling game.

I'm amazed at how little research people do before they pour a ton of money into their "inventions".

How many word games are out there? This guy's game reminded me of Boggle, you race to see who can come up with a correctly spelled word first. His game did have a cool-looking timer and buzzer. He said he spent $80,000 on creating it.

Did anyone else see this? I don't blame you if you don't want to admit it!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
That was the ONLY bit from the show I saw, because I had to work late last night. I believe my question was, "How can that one doo-hickey cost $80,000?" Does he count the money he would have made if he hadn't quit his day job, or something?

I wonder what these guys would say if a young Knizia walked in, demo-ing Taj Mahal? I'll bet Doug would have said something like, "Oh, I know ALL ABOUT Egypt, and this won't sell. It has no appeal."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Wolfe
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I admit it, I saw it.

The guy last night seemed to have a really high-quality prototype. I have no clue what that kind of thing might cost, or how many tries it took him to get that one made.

What struck me about his game is that the product he was holding seemed completely independent of the goal of the game. It appeared to be little more than a buzzer system -- something you could apply to any other "must answer first" game, like Jeopardy. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but I'm not sure how mandatory the buzzer would be if trying to play that game. You could do it by raising your hand when you have a word, if nothing else -- because you're just coming up with words out of your head. I think he should find a way to integrate it (or something like it) further into the game mechanics.

The guy last week was just sad. There was really nothing more than table hockey to his game -- again, something where you could use any old ball and table to play -- and he had put everything into the idea. I'm sorry to say he came across to me as nothing short of deluded.

[Edited to add: Doug is a chump! "Have you ever fallen through the ice? I fell through the ice in the Arctic Ocean!" What a jerk.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rachel42 wrote:
Doug is a chump! "Have you ever fallen through the ice? I fell through the ice in the Arctic Ocean!" What a jerk.

yes, this cracked me up! didn't he at one point even say that he had fallen through the ice several times?? and I thought, "so, if you're so smart.........."

Rachel42 wrote:

What struck me about his game is that the product he was holding seemed completely independent of the goal of the game. It appeared to be little more than a buzzer system -- something you could apply to any other "must answer first" game, like Jeopardy.

Yes! The judges seemed to think, "great educational value", but how do you know your word is spelled correctly and does it really help your english skills to think of words that you already know...

I did have to agree with Doug on this one that it shouldn't be pursued.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for something family-friendly that's far more interesting, try Antiques Roadshow on PBS - same day and time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, goodness, I would never let my kids watch American Inventor!! I love Antiques Roadshow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:
Oh, goodness, I would never let my kids watch American Inventor!! I love Antiques Roadshow.

Thank goodness. I was getting a little worried there, for a minute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.