Edward Ganaden
United States
Buena Park
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just would like to know if the new magazine Knucklebones is worth subscribing. Is it (or will it be) the magazine for gamers like Guitar Magazine is for guitarists? I'd also like some backstory on it. Does BGG give it a clean bill of health and best wishes, so to speak? Well, just wondering...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Cannon
United States
ATLANTA
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have enjoyed the issues that I have read so far. Enough that I just sent a check for a subscription. I have really enjoyed some the historical articles (like the history of Ravensburger).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Meyer
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel that it is. Personally though, I am a big fan of Acoustic Guitar Magazine

There is plenty of variety in each issue, so you are sure to find something that suits your tastes. Some articles are history of well known games, and then there are some great Bio's, and a ton of reviews that are fun to read to get to know some of the games you may have been interested in learning more about, or perhaps never had an interest in until reading about them in the magazine.

I consider it an enhancement to my hobby. I think you would too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I promise I will not kill you until you reach the top.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
mb
I enjoy it, but if you're looking for strategy and tactics, it's probably not the magazine for you. It has reviews, history, bios, and interviews with designers and other gaming professionals. It doesn't have much in the way of how to articles - which is fine by me, but might not be what you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As stated before...It is lighter fare. You can find more data and opinions right here in an hour than you can find in the magazine. But I will say that EVERY issue has been an improvement over their previous issue (I've read 'em all). I expect it to keep improving and possibly find a nice "groove". I don't regret my subscription.

They also have a monthy contest where you have a chance to win (guess what?), more games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bender
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy Knucklebones and especially enjoy the articles that profile designers or artists. Each issue also features several 'capsule' reviews of games. Contributors include Ward Batty, Greg Schloesser, Don Greenwood and Skip Maloney among others.

The production values are good and the mixture of game articles and reviews to puzzles and brain teasers in each issue is about 80/20.

You can look at their website www.kbones.com to see the contents of past issues.

Alternately, you can try a local book store like Barnes and Noble or Books A Million, both of which carry the magazine locally here, and pick up an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good magazine. Sure, it's not the ultimate print journal for die-hard Geeks, but it has something for everyone, and definitely leans towards the Euro-game side of things.

I just think it's nice to receive a magazine that covers my hobby, in a format that is readable and enjoyable by non-gamers, and looks decent sitting on my coffee table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Swedlund
United States
Lakeville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it. I enjoy reading it. It has quality articles and the reviews are good. But for some reason, I haven't been able to muster up the desire to subscribe.

I second (or third) the suggestion to pick up a copy and read it for yourself first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Marshall
United States
Sudlersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I subscribe and I like it. My only complaint is that it focuses on puzzles near the end of each issue, which I have no interest in. That said, I really enjoy the reviews, their top game lists, the features, etc. With the demise of Games International, I'm really glad that Knucklebones is out there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Maloney
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two sides of me that peruse the magazine every month. One side is the guy who is a regular contributor to the magazine and is thus, likely to be biased. The other side is the gamer, who's thankful for a magazine that addresses his interests in a way that other game magazines do not. It's something of a reverse GAMES Magazine. GAMES (for whom I have also been a contributor) is a pencil puzzle magazine with sections devoted to stories about games. Knucklebones is the opposite. I was, as a freelance contributor, impressed with the overall production quality of this magazine when I received my first 'contributor copy.' I continue to read the articles (the ones that I haven't written) every month, including the reviews, which I find are an excellent blend of new and old releases.
I think you're getting sound advice here. . purchase a copy at your local Barnes & Noble and see if it's your cup of tea. If it is, have another cup. Then, if it continues to please, super-size with a subscription.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I pick it up at my FLGS. I like it because it offers different perspectives that we don't often see on BGG. It won't replace BGG, but I'm glad it's around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are a subscriber to Games International... hold off a bit on purchasing a subscription.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
kaysville
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it for 2 reasons: the people who contribute are all top notch and I enjoy reading their material wherever it is written; and I met the publisher as GAMA--seemed to be a real decent guy. I also enjoy the fact that its about games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Appelbaum
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I've only read one issue so far, but I really liked it. I agree totally with the poster who described it as the opposite of Games magazine; it is kind of a yin to Games' yang, with the focus being flipped. I looked for the latest issue last week but didn't see it at all; hopefully next time I'm near a Borders it will be in. My only reluctance in subscribing would be that it's a new niche magazine and I don't know how long it will last; I've lost money in the past subscribing to other such publications (in totally unrelated areas of interest) that I loved and devoured every month that then suddenly went *poof* without a trace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
I feel that the editor has just learned about all the great designer games on the market, and she's eager to help others do the same. My assignments with the magazine have been an interesting mix of the tried-and-true (history of Monopoly; history of Rummikub) with the new and different (profile of Alea; the experiences of self-publishers like Andrea Meyer, Alan Moon, and Frank Branham; reviews of Power Grid, Tower of Babel, and Ars Mysteriorum among others). Knucklebones differs quite a bit in scope from GAMES, so I hope both magazines continue to survive -- and not just because I write for both publications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the free trial issue

http://www.kbones.com/subscribe/trial.asp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Siggins
England
Bexhill
SUSSEX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen the last three issues and found something of interest in each one. Very good, not great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a good magazine but don't subscribe, buy it at the bookstore. This way, the sales will encourage the bookstore to keep carrying it and it may reach new readers/gamers.

Well I guess you can subscribe if you want but I have bought every issue so far at my local B&N because I want it to stay on the shelf and I hope my purchase will help that happen.

It's worth getting either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.