Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in somewhere in the middle of sticker sticking (fun!) and I have a couple of questions.

1) Black banner blocks. Should one put different banners on each side of the black blocks or do you put the same banner on each side? This could be a functional question that affects play but is most likely an OCD question more than anything else.

2) I haven't put the factory stickers on the factory dice. I understand that the stickers are a little too big for the recessed facings. What is the best way to handle this pro-actively? Should I trim the stickers slightly? If so what is the best way? Scissors? Razor blade? Or rather should I buy larger dice online and put the stickers provided on the new dice?

3) Storage. Right now, my stickered legions are all arrayed neatly on our coffee table and look very impressive. I doubt my wife will allow me to keep them there indefinitely ("Welcome to our home, please sit but mind the Carthaginians"). I'm worried that if I just chuck them back in the bag, it will be too much of a hassle to resort before play AND that the stickers will get damaged over time. And we can't have that. So I bought one of those plastic, divided, craft container thingies with lid that actually fits in the C&C box (robust!) but there are too many blocks and they do not all fit in the container. Any suggestions for safely storing the blocks within the confines of the box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1) Black banner blocks. Should one put different banners on each side of the black blocks or do you put the same banner on each side?
Count them and you'll see they're intended to be one side only.

Quote:
2) I haven't put the factory stickers on the factory dice. I understand that the stickers are a little too big for the recessed facings. What is the best way to handle this pro-actively? Should I trim the stickers slightly? If so what is the best way? Scissors? Razor blade? Or rather should I buy larger dice online and put the stickers provided on the new dice?
Trimming works, but we prefer using regular dice, matching "1" through "6" with the results on the CRT from left to right.

Quote:
3) Storage.
There aren't any storage boxes I could find (Plano, Toshiba) that would fit the box and handle all of the blocks, so unless you learn of something better I would suggest this: get a set of the ziplock snack baggies (they're as wide as a sandwich bag but have half of the length). Use those to store the blocks by group, then throw them all in the large bag that came with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
dkearns wrote:
3) Storage. ... So I bought one of those plastic, divided, craft container thingies with lid that actually fits in the C&C box (robust!) but there are too many blocks and they do not all fit in the container. Any suggestions for safely storing the blocks within the confines of the box?

I have my blocks in 6 (yep, 6) small Plano boxes. The model number is 3449-5. The blocks are then divided very naturally as follows:

Roman Heavy
Roman Medium
Roman Light
Carthaginian Heavy
Carthaginian Medium
Carthaginian Light

I also find that these are small enough (6.5" x 3.5" x 1") that I can place all 6 in a box. The stack 2 deep (a layer of Romans and a layer of Carthaginians). In a layer I assemble the boxes like the greek letter pi - 2 boxes side by side (| |) with the third box crossing the "T".

Maps, terrain hexes, cards (sleeved and in a tuckbox), rules and player aides all still fit and the lid closes completely. I could upload images later today if there is interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Miller
United States
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Punk Rock Warlord
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that snack baggies for each different troop type works pretty darn well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:

Maps, terrain hexes, cards (sleeved and in a tuckbox), rules and player aides all still fit and the lid closes completely. I could upload images later today if there is interest.

I'm definitely interested in seeing themthumbsup. Especially the tuck boxes. Do you have a template for them?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Tuckbox is generated at: http://www.cpforbes.net/tuckbox/tuckbox.cgi

I will edit this post when I get home with the size of the tuckbox that I used. I will also upload a couple of representative pictures and hope they pass GeekMod!

Edit:
Tuckbox size was: 2.625" x 3.625" x 1.125"

This is just a bit larger than the 2.5 x 3.5 sleeves that I am using to allow for just a bit of room and keep the box from being too snug.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1) Black banner blocks. Should one put different banners on each side of the black blocks or do you put the same banner on each side?

One sticker per side. Placing different banners on opposite sides doesn't make too much sense--that give you 7 blocks and what happens when the score is 5-3? surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin Moody wrote:
Quote:
3) Storage.
There aren't any storage boxes I could find (Plano, Toshiba) that would fit the box and handle all of the blocks, so unless you learn of something better I would suggest this: get a set of the ziplock snack baggies (they're as wide as a sandwich bag but have half of the length). Use those to store the blocks by group, then throw them all in the large bag that came with the game.

I picked up a divided storage box at Michael's craft store for $2.

It holds all the blocks and fits the box with room to spare. I did double up on a few troop types - for example, I have the archers and slings in one section and I combined leaders and chariots - but for the most part, troop types have their own section and armies are separated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
To complete my storage solutions -

Here is an image of my Plano boxes in the C&C Box:

And here is the details of inside the 6 boxes:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Takacs
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard, that storage solution is simply awesome. Great job on that, I am jealous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brader
United States
Centreville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard,

Do you have the files used to generate the box graphics on your storage containers? These look awesome, and if I can find the Plano boxes, I'd like to do the same. Really nice job!

-John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I would like to share the graphics files I used to create the inserts for each of the Plano boxes...but there are a couple of ifs I would like to complete before I do so.

First, currently these are just in a word.doc file and I would like to convert to a PDF file eventually to avoid any platform issues with the font and the like.

Second (and in my mind more importantly) - as anyone can see - I used GMT's graphics for the labels. I have sent a note to GMT asking for their permission to post the file (with their graphics) here on the Geek. I won't work on the first step until I have heard back from GMT.

Edit
The two conditions above have been handled. The file is now a PDF file and I have permission from GMT to upload the file to the Geek. Only delay now is that the file server is under repair here, so a bit longer before I can upload the PDF for others to use.

Edit 2
File is uploaded and approved: http://files.boardgamegeek.com/viewfile.php3?fileid=16655

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the clarifications and great suggestions. I finished the sticking last night and cranked out a couple of tries on the first scenario. What a great game! I do appreciate the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Perks
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard, where did you find those Plano boxes? I looked but haven't found them yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I got mine on eBay. Googling Plano 3449-5 reveals plenty of links to online sources (including Amazon - which has an incorrect image with a correct description).

As I noted in the Image Comments (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/881150) the latest version has a slightly different model number (3449-85) which may explain why there are a lot of 3449-5 cases being sold by various discounters. Also might need to use the new number as the old stock clears out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
hi folks,

can anybody tell me an alternative to the plano boxes 3449-(8)5 which i can buy in germany?
i don't find the plano boxes neither on ebay nor with google. so - german boardgame geeks - give me a hint

thanks
ingo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are around an office I have used the plastic boxes that staples come in to store some of my Columbia block games. The trouble you have to do a lot of looking to get many of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still a proponent of using zip locks (and there is another thread on the subject which has lots of details).

I ziplock by unit type and put colored stickers in the corners to make it faster to spot-- Romans get the sticker on the "RIGHT" corner and Carth. on the left. (Romans-Right. I need all the memory devices I can muster).

I kept the large bag that the blocks came in and stuff one side's zip locks into that bag and leave the other side's ziplocks in the box. So one player takes the big bag and the other player takes the box and they can dig for scenario set up. Terrain fits into a couple medium sized ziplocks.

The plastic storage things look very nice and Walmart or other hobby type areas might have them if you can't get the plano ones. (In craft shops, these are things used to hold "beads"). I found them after devisine the baggie technique and decided to stay with what I had.

With 2 expansions in the pipeline, we'll all need to revise our theories. Much as I appreciate the "armored box" which came with the game, I don't like the thought of carrying 2 or 3 of those around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
To complete my storage solutions -

Here is an image of my Plano boxes in the C&C Box:

And here is the details of inside the 6 boxes:

Do you plan on doing this again for the expansion? I'd love to have a sticker file if you do!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He has reported twice that he will work on doing the same system for the expansion game.

The chat about this is over at the expansion game folder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
He has reported twice that he will work on doing the same system for the expansion game.

The chat about this is over at the expansion game folder.

THX. I can't seem to find the thread though. Do you have a link?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Takacs
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a link:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/22605

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Waits
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not like the multiple box idea, and found that a Plano 2-3620 Utility Box works great. It's a bit of work deciding how to fit everything in, but once it's in there, it works well.

--Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
swaits wrote:
I ....found that a Plano 2-3620 Utility Box works great.

I started there, but found it too much work to get something that was efficient that didn't mix scads of units together. I would be interested to hear how you ended up allocating your blocks within the Plano 3620.

And yes for everyone who asked - I am working on the labels for the expansion. No promises, but hoping to have them done this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Waits
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
I would be interested to hear how you ended up allocating your blocks within the Plano 3620.

I'll work on a photo and an inventory of my arrangement.

--Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.