Popular Tags: [View All]
david karasick
United States
Gladwyne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.gamewright.com/gamewright/pdfs/Rules/ZeusontheLoo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie McAllister
United Kingdom
Brighton
flag msg tools
mb
Call me a pedant, and people frequently do, but the rules do not clearly outline how a player manages to spell Z-E-U-S, and thereby win...

The rules state:

Object
Be the first player to spell Z-E-U-S over several rounds by holding onto
the Zeus figurine each time Mount Olympus reaches 100.

Whoever wins the round gets the first letter of the word Zeus. (Keep
track of scores on a piece of paper if helpful.) The winner then collects
all the cards, shuffles and deals a new round. The player to the left of
the dealer starts the next round.

Ending the Game
Play rounds until someone completes spelling Zeus. That player wins
the game.

To my diseased mind there is but one interpretation of this: A player wins a round and gets a Z. No-one can win, because no-one can get anything but Z.

Furthermore, my diseased mind postulates 2 possible scenarios for winning conditions.

1. Each time an individual wins a round, they get a Z,E,U or S, depending on whether it is their 1st, 2nd,3rd or 4th win.

2. Each time a player wins a round, they get a Z,E,U or S, depending on what was won on the previous round (i.e. an E follows a Z, a U follows an E etc). Players only win when they have collected all four letters. The quickest way to do this, would be to win the four rounds on the trot starting at round one. Players could have multiple Zs, Es and Us but will not win until they get one S.

I appreciate that I need help and that given this is a children's game scenario one is probably the correct guess.

However, I wish the rules were clearer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soapyj wrote:
Call me a pedant, and people frequently do, but the rules do not clearly outline how a player manages to spell Z-E-U-S, and thereby win...

The rules state:

Object
Be the first player to spell Z-E-U-S over several rounds by holding onto
the Zeus figurine each time Mount Olympus reaches 100.

Whoever wins the round gets the first letter of the word Zeus. (Keep
track of scores on a piece of paper if helpful.) The winner then collects
all the cards, shuffles and deals a new round. The player to the left of
the dealer starts the next round.

Ending the Game
Play rounds until someone completes spelling Zeus. That player wins
the game.

To my diseased mind there is but one interpretation of this: A player wins a round and gets a Z. No-one can win, because no-one can get anything but Z.

Furthermore, my diseased mind postulates 2 possible scenarios for winning conditions.

1. Each time an individual wins a round, they get a Z,E,U or S, depending on whether it is their 1st, 2nd,3rd or 4th win.

2. Each time a player wins a round, they get a Z,E,U or S, depending on what was won on the previous round (i.e. an E follows a Z, a U follows an E etc). Players only win when they have collected all four letters. The quickest way to do this, would be to win the four rounds on the trot starting at round one. Players could have multiple Zs, Es and Us but will not win until they get one S.

I appreciate that I need help and that given this is a children's game scenario one is probably the correct guess.

However, I wish the rules were clearer!

Have you ever played HORSE? It's like the opposite of that idea. You are trying to be the first person to spell out Z-E-U-S. When you win your first round, you win a "Z." Every successive round you win, you win another letter towards the spelling of ZEUS (e.g., the second round you win, your reward is an "E," and on the third round you win your reward is a "U") regardless of how many total rounds have been played or how many letters anyone else has won.

Don't overthink it. The game as a whole works much better when you shoot from the hip and just play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude ... I'm pedantic.... the rules ARE clear.

Be the first player to spell Z-E-U-S over several rounds

Whoever wins the round gets the first letter of the word Zeus.

Play rounds until someone completes spelling Zeus.

It's clear. The game is made up of rounds.. win four rounds and you win the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.