Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Day
Wales
Llandrindod Wells
Powys
flag msg tools
mb
The miniatures in WotR are too good to be sitting idle in the box while waiting for the odd occasion when I have the time and a willing opponent to play the game. I wanted to use them in something quick and less daunting.

I own and enjoy Memoir '44 and have used the Ancients Battlecry rules interpretation available from www.nugamers.com with great pleasure - perfect for the WotR minis.

Producing a chart for my own use I thought I would share and have added the Army List on the Battlecry file pages which will allow you to fight battles using the War of the Ring minis and the self contained Ancient Battlecry rules.

Most of the minis are available for 1:1 use - but the army counters work well as tokens where extra units are required.

With the new expansion I am tempted to add the new minis to the lists - perhaps others less lazy than me would like to write some scenarios, rather than the standard meeting engagement on the chart.

Hope you enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BOTTA has some tactical battles which should take less time than the main game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Flynn
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Hey, that's a great idea! Thanks, I'll pull out my WOTR and Battle Cry sets and give it a go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave de Vil
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
BATTLES IN MIDDLE EARTH (C&C ANCIENTS)

This is an initial suggestion for using WOTR figures for C&C Ancient games. The only additional figures needed would be Eagles as a FP equivalent of Nazgul (or use normal FP leaders), and Elven ships if using fleets. This table assumes ownership of WOTR & BOTTA, and lists total unit numbers from both games.
I’ve listed the two sides with equivalent units; the only serious match up question is that of Mumakil vs Gondor Elites as Heavy Cavalry. These should really be different unit types, but have no equivalent figures. Elven riders might be reclassified as mounted archers, but again this has no Shadow equivalent.

*Requires additional figures

UNIT TYPE/ SHADOW/ FREE PEOPLES

Commander in Chief:
Witch King (V2), Aragorn
General: Mouth of Sauron, Theoden (Silver Rohan)
Lieutenant: Gothmog (use W-King V1), Boromir
Wizard: Saruman, Gandalf
Demon: Balrog, Treebeard
Flying Beasts/Leaders: Nazgul (8), Eagles* OR Gondor & Rohan Leaders (8)
Engines: Siege Tower (6), Trebuchets (6)
Fleets: Corsairs (6), Elven Ships*
Light Infantry: Orcs (36), Dwarves & Hobbits (17)
Medium Infantry: Dunlendings (12), Rohan Warriors (14)
Heavy Infantry: Uruk-hai (12), Gondor Warriors (15)
Monsters: Trolls (6), Ents (8)
Light Archers: Haradrim (24), Elves (20)
Heavy Archers: Half Orcs (12), Barding Bowmen (10)
Light Cavalry: Warg Riders (6), Dunedain (9)
Medium Cavalry: Southron Riders (6), Rohan Riders (13)
Heavy Cavalry: Mumakil (6), Gondor Knights (5)

If anyone has a full listing of unit types and abilities from C&C Ancients perhaps these can be matched to this table.

Angry Martian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.