Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guillotine - Fast, Fun and went down well with my friends

I just recently picked up a copy of this game after walking into my local FLGS. I read a bit about the game quite a while ago, but couldn't really remember anything about it, other then reading that several people like to use it as a bit of a gateway game.

So what to say, game plays pretty quick, few games took 15-20 minutes. others took longer, because they couldn't remember what cards they had and had to look at every single card in their hand every turn they had.
This can slow down the game, but with the right group of people it's fast and fun.

The game is divided into 3 days, on each day 12 nobles are lined up ready for execution.

each player starts with 5 cards in their hand, and on a players turn they do the following:

Play a card. (optional)
Cards manipulate the turn order of the noble line, can add or remove nobles from the line, and occasionally directly affect other players, such as miss a turn, or return there latest victem to the end of the line

Execute a noble and take that card and put it in front of them.
All nobels have a value attached to the card, these range from -3 to +5, some noble cards also have abilites, most of which are activated when executed. however some are active when they are in line. These abilities do things like not allowing you to play a card and taking an extra noble from the line and placing in front of you.

Draw a card.
Draw and extra card. (there is no limit to how many you can hold in your hand.)

When the line is empty that is the end of the day. (certain cards can cause the day to end early) at the end of day 3 whoever has the most points (counting the points on the nobles) wins the game.

I have introduced this game to 10 people, 9 of which do not normally play games outside of things like articulate and other party games.
They all seemed to have fun playing and wanted to play again.

The artwork is well done and pretty funny. something which my friends were contantly laughing about.

Summary:
Quick game which has alot of luck in it, (cards you picked up and noble order) but have had no-one complain about this point. it seems to appeal to alot of people and is certainly worth the low price which is asked of it. I'll be taking this game around with me whenever there is a chance we will play something. small packaging but Great Game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rogers
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Guillotine - Fast, Fun and went down well with my friend
Great review.

This is one of my new favorite card games. Quick and easy to learn and play.

All in all a whole lotta fun - who doesn't like being an executioner cutting off noble's heads?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.