Popular Tags: confessions [+] [View All]
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The primary purpose of this post is to publicly thank my wife for planning and throwing a fantastic birthday party for me this weekend. Everyone arrived Friday evening around 7:00. We had two boards of 'Memoir 44' set up. At each board there were two people playing and others who were watching and cheering. Most of the participants had never played M-44. Some had not played a board game since Monopoly in high school. Anyway, Friday night was intended to teach the rules to those who had never played and refresh the memories of those who had. Everyone had a blast. It was great to float between games when I wasn't playing. The only thing I enjoy more than playing games is teaching others to play. I was amazed at how everyone seemed to pick up the rules and get into the competitive spirit so quickly.

Having learned the rules, the plan was for the group to return at 9:30 the following morning to have breakfast and play an Overlord campaign. Because we had played until nearly midnight the evening before, I wondered how many would make it out of bed for the follow-up session. Everyone that we invited returned! The breakfast casserole was fantastic, but I think they came for the game. The Overlord version looked gorgeous on the table and was even more fun for everyone involved than the previous night's games had been. It didn't hurt that my team won the battle. It was my birthday, after all.

I'd like to make two observations:

First, my wife really enhanced the gaming experience by creating a thematic atmosphere. She had WWII-era, 'Big Band' music playing. The tablecloth, plates, balloons, etc. were green, khaki, or camouflage. My son's plastic army men were spread around the room. A special squadron had been deployed on the island in the kitchen to guard the snacks! (Fortunately, she didn't serve army-style grub). Finally, everyone was provided with 'dog tags'. My wife wouldn't allow anyone to play without the proper identification. People got into it and came up with great aliases. My favorite was, 'Berlin Sally'.

Second, I have a newfound respect for M-44 as a gateway game. I know that some hardcore war gamers have been reluctant to accept it as a true war game. I'm not sure how its card-driven system is essentially different from, say, the LAM system of Carthage. But, that is for another thread. What I am saying is that M-44 is a great game with real flexibility that can be satisfying for experienced, competitive war gamers and new gamers alike. All of the first-time gamers noted that they were looking forward to playing M-44 again and that they would also be interested in playing other new games. A fun weekend of gaming is great. Recruiting new friends into our gaming community is even better.

One final note:

The climax of the weekend was on Saturday afternoon. As the Overlord campaign was winding down, the doorbell rang. The delivery man had left a package from my parents. It contained, 'Railroad Tycoon', 'Descent: Journeys in the Dark', 'Reef Encounter', and 'Pirate's Cove'. Wow! Everyone was drooling and making plans for our next weekend of board gaming hedonism. I'm not sure when we'll get everyone together again. But if my wife has anything to do with it, I wouldn't be surprised to see Pirate's hats and eye patches.

Thanks Honey. I can't remember a better birthday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Davidson
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
www.istroyworking.com
badge
www.istroyworking.com
mbmbmb
That sounded awesome! What a great party. I love it when parties have themes and everyone gets into it. Having a few games up and running at a party is always fun.

Troy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
sauron "Happy belated Birthday" wishes to YOU and any others this past weekend!
P.S.-I did "tip" YOU for this as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great sounding Birthday - congratulations! It sounds like you had a fantastic time! I'll have to get my wife to read this thread! ninja
Happy Birthday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Stroud
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
TedTorgerson wrote:
My birthday party last night I played Apples to Apples Jr. with nephew and my two nieces who can't read and randomly put cards down.

Sounds like playing with my Fiancé's family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.