Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Gettysburg» Forums » Variants

Subject: An accurate Gettysburg OB using just the counters that came in the box. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
This is for Gettysburg '64. The '58 version has OP that aren't used here.

You'll need to find your own accurate Time of Entry Chart.

What I intend to do is use AnimalMother's idea of using the HQ units as additional Corps &/or divisional Art units [all of them are smaller] and rearrange the Union Corps and Confed. Div to get their strengths closer to right. That is, to agree with the 2 sources I linked to here a year ago. In the case of the XI corps I feel that the 3 CF div should be a 2 so it is 2+2+2. For the new III C I will use the old XI C and use the 2x 2 to represent a large div of 4 and keep the 3 as the other div = 3. The V C should be about 3+2+2, so you could use 2 dead 2s or set a 3 aside and make the Corps = 3+3+1, where the 1 is the blank. Etc. Historically, the V C = 3+3+1 may be better because you can send a 1 CF Brig to defend Little Round Top.

I have reduced the attack factor of Art to ½ or ⅔ of their DF, because Art was not that powerful attacking. I use the ⅔ because it rounds off better, round to nearest but just ⅔ rounds down to ½ and double ALL the units to figure the odds. These really need a flank bonus or to be used in pairs when attacking.
. . . . . VERY SORRY I NEED to CHANGE JUST the UNION INF.*
Union [in order of appearance, sorta]
1st Cav Div . . . . . . . . . . . . . = 1+1 (Gamble & Devin)
I C [now XI C ] . . . . .XI C HQ = ⅔-1-4 Art + 3+2+2
XI C [now V C]. . . . . . V C HQ = ⅔-1-4 Art + 2+2+2
XII C [now III C] . . . III C HQ = ⅔-1-4 Art + 3+3
III C [now XII C] . . . XII C HQ = ⅔-1-4 Art + 3+2 + 2 (the last 2 is the blank or a dead 2)
II C [still II C] . . . . . . II C HQ = ⅔-1-4 Art + 3+3+3 (this includes Stanard's Brig 1.4CF of I C)
Art Res [still Art Res]. . . . . . . = 4x 1-2-4 Art Brig + Meade HQ = ⅔-1-4 Art
V C [now I C or itself]. .I C HQ = ⅔-1-4 Art + 3+2+2 or 3+3 + 1 or 2+2+2 + 1
. . . . . (The 2s are dead 2s or a div is set aside = (3)+(3=2+1)+(1=2-1). The 1 can be the blank.)
VI C [still VI C] . . . 2nd Vol Art = 1-2-4 Art + 3+3+3
2nd Cav Div. . . . . . . . VI C HQ = ⅔-1-4 Art + 1+1
. . . . . (1st Horse Art Brig, J.I. Gregg & McIntosh; Baltimore Pike) Don't use Huey = 1.
3rd Cav Div. . . . . . . Cav C HQ = ⅔-1-4 Art + 1+1
. . . . . (2nd Horse Art Brig, Custer & Farnsworth; Hanover Road)
Res Cav Brig. . . . . . . . . . . . . .= 1 (Merritt)

For the Confed. I had to combine 1 divisional Art Bn with the 1 small Art Bn from the corps Art Res to make the combined 1-2-4 Art Bn which arrives with the Div as its divisional Art Bn. I use 2 Army or corps HQ as the divisional Art Bn of the other 2 div of the corps. There are not enough HQ pieces, so the I C will have to use dead HQ or homemade pieces. It's a good thing that all the Corps Art Res arrived close in time and place to a div of that corps.

Confederate [in order of appearance, sorta]
Heth. [III]. . . . . . III C HQ = ⅔-1-4 Art + 4
Pender [III]. . McIntosh Art = 1-2-4 Art + 4
III C Res Art. . . Pegram Art = 1-2-4 Art
Rodes [II]. . . . . . Lee HQ = ⅔-1-4 Art + 4 + 2 (for the 2 use the blank,
. . . . . . it represents a few guns & the largest Brig of their largest Div. A 1 might be better.)
Early [II] . . . . . . . II C HQ = ⅔-1-4 Art + 3 (This was the Confed smallest Div, it
. . . . . . should be McLawst's 3 piece.)
II C Res Art . . . .Dance Art = 1-2-4 Art
Johnson [II] . . . Nelson Art = 1-2-4 Art + 4
Anderson [III] . . . . I C HQ = ⅔-1-4 Art + 4 (Yes, I C HQ here, unless you
. . . . . . made a homemade counter.)
McLaws & Hood [I C] . Eleshman Art = 1-2-4 Art +4+3 +2 + a dead Corps HQ= ⅔-1-4 Art
. . . . . . (for the 2 use the dead blank = a brig from Hood's div. & 4 = Early as McLaws)
I C Art Res. . Alexander Art = 1-2-4
Stuart's Cav Div. Stuart HQ = ⅔-1-4 Art +1+1+1
. . . . . . (Beckham Horse Art, Hampton, Lee, & Lee, north edge, center)
Jenkin's Cav Brig. . . . . . . .= 1. . . . . (N edge center, this Brig could arrive soon after Early.)
The other 3 Cav Brig. . . . . = 1+1+1
. . . . . . (Imboden, Robertson, & Jones, W edge, near NW corner)
Picket [I C]. . . . . . . . . . . .= 3 + a dead corps HQ = ⅔-1-4 Art

I reuse a few pieces for the Confed. or you can make homemade ones too.

I left out Huey's Brig because he did not reach this battlefield and he gave the Union more total Cav when really they had less, because the average Confed Cav Brig was stronger than the Union average.

This OB gives the Union and Confed. just about the same total Art, this is because I needed to convert some Union Art CF into Inf of their corps to avoid changing a lot of Union Inf strengths. However, at least now the Union gets some Art units right off to soak off or add to stacks.

Analysis: these changes make the Union weaker at first [lost 3 Inf + 2 Art= -1 CF, net] and the Confed. a little stronger [gained 5 CF = 3 Art +2-1 Inf + maybe 1 Cav]. This will help the Confed. quite a bit. Although, the Union gets some Art right off, the Confed. gains even more Art right off. On the other hand my stacking rule makes Art less important because now Union Inf can stack with itself. In total, the Union gains 9 Art DF + 1 Inf - 1 Cav and the Confed gain 7 Art DF + 4 Inf.

The victory conditions also need work. Maybe a rule that lets the Confed. win if/when they have more DF near Cemetery Hill [8 sq.?] after noon 7/2 and the Union wins otherwise at 8 PM 7/3. This makes the Union stand and fight.

* I took another look at the unit strengths and while I got the order right, I made the I C & XI C too weak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
To go along with this OB I suggest some new rule changes.

See my other ideas for better rules to simulate this battle. However, I strongly recommend that you use this new as of 10/21/13 ZOC rule to make ZOC [when your units face diagonally] much more like when they face a row. It is self-evident to me that facing a row and a diagonal should be as much the same as possible.
. . . 1] All 4 corners of the unit's own sq. block all enemy movement.
. . . 2] Whenever 2 units of the same side are in adjacent sq. diagonally, they block ALL attacks, ZOC, & movement over the 1 corner that they share. Incl. friendly attacks, movement & ZOC.
. . . 3] When 2 units face diagonally with 1 sq. between them, the front corner of the sq. between them blocks enemy movement. This keeps the enemy from moving to this sq. and through the gap.
. . . 4] Moving from a sq. adjacent to an enemy unit to another sq. adjacent to that unit is almost always not allowed. This is possible only to or from the sq. directly behind the enemy unit.
. .This allows units to be more spread out and still form solid walls of ZOC sq.

I suggest stacking of 5 DF [or 4]+ 1 Art unit per sq. This can be 4 + a small Art + any Art, for example. This allows the Union to stack his 2s & 3s easily, but still lets the Confed stack too. Both sides have a number of Inf Div that they have trouble stacking except with 2 Art units. This is fair.
. .This allows more stacking. These together allow you to be both more spread out and more concentrated.

I suggest that Art have a range of about 4or5 sq. when firing to or from a hilltop. The Union 2nd Vol Brig (represented here by Meade's HQ) was really a small Brig of Heavy Art. It might have a range of 7. Can Art fire over friendly units? If yes, then it can also fire over blocked corners, see the below ZOC rule.

I suggest that flank attacks from a unit's ZOC sq. should not give any flank attack bonus. This in game terms is really part of their front. Flank attacks from the side might be just doubled, since most Div would refuse their flanks some. But, Art is still tripled and doubled at long range in the old doubled line of sq. out from a unit's 2 side ZOC sq.

I suggest 5 CRT table changes: to make the CRT less bloody and less luck dependent. In order that I recommend them.
. . . 1] At 2-1 odds change the A Elim on a roll of 6 into Half of A Elim and the rest Back 1.
. . . 2] At 1-1 odds change the D Elim on a roll of 1 into D back 1.
. . . 3] At 1-1 odds change the A Elim on a roll of 5 into Engaged. See Battle of the Bulge or Caesar at Alesia for explanation.
. . . 4] At 2-1 odds change the Exchange on a roll of 5 into Engaged.
. . . 5] At 3-1 odds change the Exchange on a roll of 5 into Engaged.
The Engaged results will sometimes make low odds attacks take more time. Loses are calculated at face value. Half of A Elim means A looses as many DF as the defender has DF (both face value).
. . . Engaged means: all the units are still fighting. During the other player's turn they exert ZOC, but during the combat phase they are ignored (they're fighting each other), but you can break this and attack them. During the original attacker's turn they must continue their fight, the attacker can add troops in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.