Subject: Jedi Mind Tricking to Victory. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
Everybody wants to be a Game Designer but nobody wants to be a Game Designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first game of Firefly: The Game. Awful Lonely in the Big Black, Making Connections looked like a nice story to ease into this.

I chose Mal and Serenity of course. I picked Wash, Kaley, Inara, a Med Staff and started at Silverhold hoping to buy some guns since fighting was my only shortcoming. All together, I had 2 Fight, 5 Tech, and 5 Negotiate with the option of rerolling failed tech or negotiate tests. Keywords I had were Soldier, Pilot, Mechanic, Medic, Companion, and Fancy Duds. Everybody was Moral so I had to keep away from as many immoral jobs as I could.

Discarded Amnon Duul and Niska's immoral jobs and kept "Big Black Cattle Drive" for Patience, "Vacationer's to Pelorum" for Harken, and "Pushing Drops" for Badger. Pushing Drops was immoral too but I had to keep three.

Bought a Glucklich Jia 642X and GJ Flashkill Pod Grenades for $1800. This raised my fighting to 5 as well as the Explosives, Sniper Rifle, and Firearm keywords. I then moved to Valentine in White Sun to load some immoral contraband into my stash for Badger.

Flew to Albion to load 2 passengers for Harken and was stopped by customs, costing me a turn on the way but not the contraband in my stash.

Made it to Murphy and the misbehave was a Knife Fight, but I had a firearm so I was able to proceed past that to get paid $2500. Easy peasy! Had to pay my entirely moral crew because they were unhappy with the immoral job I had just completed, so that cost me $1000.

Flew to Regina and encountered a Ghost Ship, salvaging $1000 from it before going down to the planet for some shore leave and fuel, then moseyed over to Kerry to load some cattle for Patience. Stopped by my good buddy Niska's to get a job from him ("From Great need Springs Great Profit"), smuggling some contraband from Ezra to Anson's World. Since I was already in Ezra, I started the job immediately.

Flew to Bellerophon in White Sun, completing the job for Patience, then Lux completing the job for Harken.

Made it to the Space Bazaar, bought a Cry Baby and some fuel, then got a job from Amnon Duul "Motherlode Ore" to ship a Heavy Load to Bernadette. Great, since the Motherlode was on my way to Anson's World. So was the Reaver Cutter that showed up, but Wash and Kalee pulled a Crazy Ivan to save me. Whew!

Made it to Anson's World where I walked away from an Unexpected Opportunity and was then Denied Docking Rights that my tech check easily passed with "These Are Not The Crooks You're Looking For..." (hence the title of the session report).

I delivered the contraband for $4500 with my massive negotiating skills,completing Niskas immoral job, then moseyed twice to the Motherload, skirting the Reaver Cutter. I loaded the heavy cargo and moseyed twice more back to the Space Bazaar for some shore leave costing me $500 that I probably didn't need to spend. I also bought three more fuel because of the heavy load.

A full burn costing me two fuel moved me one space into a Customs Inspection. Another Full Burn costing me another two fuel got me three spaces to Bernadette, completing the winning delivery for Amnon Duul and $1900. The crew didn't get paid this time.

Ended with $7800, 2 Fuel, 2 Parts, and 2 turns to spare.

Pretty fun, took 70 minutes with some rules looking (buying fuel during shore leave, evading). I moseyed quite a bit, probably too often. I did manage to work a couple of side jobs for $400 but I didn't take detailed notes on where.

Note: It wasn't until after I was finished and setting up the next game that I realised I didn't even need Wash since Mal is also a pilot! At least I kept him away from all of those sharpened telephone poles this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I take it you chose Goal #1. Congratulations; it sounds like you won your first game of this scenario even earlier than I did. Its very satisfying to understand the system and play it for all its worth!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
I take it you chose Goal #1. Congratulations; it sounds like you won your first game of this scenario even earlier than I did. Its very satisfying to understand the system and play it for all its worth!

Thanks! Yes, I chose Goal #1.

I'm not sure if I finished earlier than you though. After my first try of any game, I reread the entire rulebook while the gameplay is still fresh in my mind. After last nights reread, I'm not sure I should have been allowed to buy fuel during shore leave. Still researching that but it could possibly cost me two turns, still barely scraping by for a win.

Edit: I found my problem. While playing the game, I checked the Shore Leave section on page 10 which reads:

"When your Firefly is in a Sector with a Supply Planet, you may use your Buy Action to give your Crew Shore Leave, instead of buying Supply Cards."

I reasoned that, since I wasn't buying any Supply Cards, I could therefore take shore leave and fuel up the ship at the same time.

However, after rereading the rules on page 9 under Buy Actions:

"Taking a Buy Action allows you to purchase Supply Cards and restock Fuel and Parts. Alternatively, you can use your Buy Action for Shore Leave."

This clearly states that I cannot buy fuel while also taking shore leave.

Otherwise, this doesn't change my game much. I took shore leave twice while buying fuel, but the second time was near the end of the game and a waste of money anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Goldstone
United Kingdom
Blackpool
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game was going for the 15,000 target. I chose Mal and went for a lot of crime jobs (for the +500).

I thought I was doing well with my 1,000 crew, but alas a collection of dreadful misbehave cards saw to several crew losses leaving just Mal and Jayne (not the best of buddies) to make the money, and 2 warrants for my troubles didn't help.
A poorly made choice to risk alliance space did for Jayne, and 2k in warrant costs.

Despite a last minute pay day in of 4k I finished with a grand total of 12,800, close but not so close.

By contrast the 5 solid rep goal was easier in some ways, but i did get caught by the alliance with a hold full of smuggled beef which meant i was looking for contraband jobs anywhere so I could be solid with patience and complete the goal.

I did succeed in turn 20 - so some breathing space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nice runs, guys.

After two partial attempts, I finally got to play my first full solo game yeterday.

I went with Nandi as captain of the Bonnie Mae. To keep crew somewhat random, I've gone with only crew who are available in the "priming the pump" section (or I'll go 2-3 cards deeper if there aren't enough). I lucked into Zoe, River, Simon, and Bridgit, and on my first turn I was able to recruit Wash. Not a bad crew, but not the best at fighting.

I didn't actively set out to do it, but wound up completing two of the goals. I had 15k with about 4 turns to spare (thanks largely to lucking out and getting a few high-pay not-Immoral jobs), and was solid with everyone except Harken (and I'd been sitting on a Harken job for a while), so I managed to do both of the first two goals, as well as about 15 Misbehave cards (I had not counted before a reshuffle early in the game, so it's a guess).

I need to consult the rules, because I may have done a few things wrong. Mid-game, I hired Inara, giving me 6 crew + Nandi... but in skimming the boards, I think that would have put my over.

I have to say, it was a fun game, and I had very good luck. Three times, I rolled exactly what I needed with River, and the one time I encountered the Alliance Cruiser, I had just paid to clear my warrants with Badger and all of the crew rolled well.

Looking forward to play at least one multi-player game this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update: Just found another error, this one in my favor.

After becoming solid with Harken, I could have ignored Customs Inspections nav cards. That would have saved me at least one turn and one fuel.

Looking forward to playing again, although that 20 misbehave goal seems kind of daunting. I only misbehaved 3 times in my first game!

Thanks for the replies guys, I hope to do as well in future games but really itching to play a multi-player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raine O'Shae
msg tools
mb
oh you only had to do One of the three objectives? I did all three x.x
Go me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.