Android: Netrunner» Forums » Variants

Subject: netrunner with a regular deck of playing cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Casey Ryback
United States
California
flag msg tools
So I had an initial idea for a stripped down version of netrunner that can be useful for:

a) teaching new players
b) playing in public places (when you wouldn't feel comfortable with the full game)

You would need 2 regular playing card decks. (one for each player)

===========
corp deck
===========
agendas
- the 2s and 3s (8 cards). it even totals to 20 agenda pts!
ICE
- all numbered cards (both rez cost AND strength is its number)
traps
- Aces (4 cards). these would work just like junebugs

===========
runner deck
===========
Ice Breakers
- the Js, Qs, Ks (12 cards)

============
gameplay
============
- so the suits will represent ICE subtypes.
(diamonds, hearts, spades, clubs).

- the runners ice breaker suit must match the ICE's suit.
(eg spade to spade)

- the cost to break through the ICE is just the number of the card.
(no subroutines or complex concepts)

I think this would help out tremendously as a teaching aid.

I haven't really thought about resource/event cards etc. but I'm open to suggestions

Anyway, the idea is to have a very stripped down version.

thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Goodwin
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like a really clever idea, and could be a solid basis for a game in its own right (less deckbuilding, more tactics). You'll need to work out how players will generate money though, I'd say that's the key thing you're missing. With each player having their own deck, there are a lot of cards without an accounted for purpose in your sketched idea, so at least there's space to work with.

Go give it some think time, publish some draft rules here on the board, then start testing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This belongs in the Variants subforum, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Ryback
United States
California
flag msg tools
Miaowara_Tomokato wrote:
It sounds like a really clever idea, and could be a solid basis for a game in its own right (less deckbuilding, more tactics). You'll need to work out how players will generate money though, I'd say that's the key thing you're missing. With each player having their own deck, there are a lot of cards without an accounted for purpose in your sketched idea, so at least there's space to work with.

Go give it some think time, publish some draft rules here on the board, then start testing!

haha thx.

game in its own right eh? didnt think of that. hmmm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Variants

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would probably drop a suit of cards to go down to 3 ice types and 3 ice breakers. Then you would have 13*3=39 cards, so you could add in the 2/3/ace/j/q/k of the forth suit (hearts?) which would give you your 45 cards.

At the moment runner cards other than ice breakers are empty. I would make the 4th suit "wild" IE AI breakers, but they cost double? Extra+2? to use.

4th suit for Corp could be DataMines(the j/q/k, A/2/3 are agenda/junebug.)

Need to think of runners Ace/2-9 cards if jkq are breakers. 3 might as well be Easy Mark, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
justin hulse
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Hmmm interesting idea.

Things I might consider doing.

CORP SIDE

Jacks, Queens, Kings = 4 for 2 agendas with no abilities

Aces = Snare

Numbered cards of 'x' suite...
--Hearts = 'Heart' Ice. Strength and Rez cost is number on the card. All hearts have 'End the run.' twice as it's two subroutines.
--Spades = 'Spade' Ice. Strength and Rez cost is number on the card. All spades have 'Trash a program' and 'Trace 3: End the run.' as it's two subroutines.
--Clubs = 'Club' Ice. Strength and Rez cost is the number on the card. All clubs have 'End the run unless the runner pays 4$' twice as it's two subroutines.
--Diamonds = Zero cost economy operations. 'Gain X credits, where X is the number on the card.'

RUNNER SIDE

Jacks, Queens, Kings = Icebreaker programs for 'x' suite...
--Heart/Spade/Club = Cost and strength is number on card. Has two abilities 'Pay 2$: +1 strength for rest of run' and 'Pay 1$: Break 1 subroutine on ice of matching suite'
--Diamond = Cost and strength is number on card. Has one ability 'Pay 2$: Break 1 subroutine on any piece of ice.'

Aces = Zero cost event: Return up to two programs from your heap to your grip.

Numbered cards of 'x' suite...
--Hearts = Cost is number on card. Draw 'x' cards, where 'x' is number on card.
--Spades = Zero cost resource: Comes into play with 'x' power counters, where 'x' is number on card. Click, remove a power counter: Gain 2 credits.
--Clubs = Zero cost event: Expose up to 2 cards unless the corp pays 'x', where 'x' is the number on the card.
--Diamonds = Event: Cost is number on card. Gain 'x' credits, where 'x' is the cost of this event plus 4.

Simple enough to have everything on a index for reference, but adds a little more flavor i think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Ryback
United States
California
flag msg tools
Kandiru wrote:
I would probably drop a suit of cards to go down to 3 ice types and 3 ice breakers. Then you would have 13*3=39 cards, so you could add in the 2/3/ace/j/q/k of the forth suit (hearts?) which would give you your 45 cards.

At the moment runner cards other than ice breakers are empty. I would make the 4th suit "wild" IE AI breakers, but they cost double? Extra+2? to use.

4th suit for Corp could be DataMines(the j/q/k, A/2/3 are agenda/junebug.)

Need to think of runners Ace/2-9 cards if jkq are breakers. 3 might as well be Easy Mark, etc.

Yeah I like the 3 suit idea.

I would like it to be a stripped down version though. Ie no special exceptions to remember, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.