Popular Tags: [View All]
William Snider
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious of what games have been in the top five (or top 10 even)here since BGG started. Maybe some that have since fallen way down. I can see them hanging out with the Hasbro games in the 700's bragging about being #9 for a week in 2002. Kind of like listening to old Casey Kasem shows.
Anyone care to share their BGG history knowledge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sniderman89 wrote:
I'm curious of what games have been in the top five (or top 10 even)here since BGG started. Maybe some that have since fallen way down. I can see them hanging out with the Hasbro games in the 700's bragging about being #9 for a week in 2002. Kind of like listening to old Casey Kasem shows.
Anyone care to share their BGG history knowledge?

When I joined BGG ten years ago, Puerto Rico was the number one game. It's fallen, but not by much; it's currently hanging out at #5.

Agricola was the game that bumped it off, sometime in 2008, IIRC. Then a few years ago, Twilight Struggle claimed the #1 spot.

There was an April Fool's effort one year to get Monkey Auto Races up to #1. I forget if they actually made it that far.

So the ratings aren't really as dynamic as Casey Kasem's top 100. (No worries about coming out of a #@$#ing uptempo record, either.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
There's nearly 7 years of top 50 history (visualized in microbadges) in here: Item for Geeklist "BGG Top 50 Statistics : from 01 Sep 13 to 01 Oct 13" .

For older data, there's this geeklist: The History of BoardGameGeek / Completely Useless Statistics VI: Highest Rank Ever - Trying To Find Every Top Ten Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Snider
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well there it is. There is a geeklist for everthing.
Thankyou.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Nand
Italy
Modena
flag msg tools
Best. Game. Ever.
badge
I wrote nanDECK and BGG1tool
mbmbmbmbmb
The ranking data can be read, starting from march 2006, with the BGG API. I wrote a small program to create charts from these data, for example, these are the charts for Tigris & Euphrates and Puerto Rico:

In this blog post there are other info about my program:
BGG2Graph 1.1g
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Snider
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Who has the biggest falls from grace out of the top ten? Besides the joke ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
sniderman89 wrote:
Who has the biggest falls from grace out of the top ten? Besides the joke ones.

Warangel dropped from 3 to 2154 (ref)
Elfenroads dropped from 9 to 1686 (ref)
The Settlers of Canaan dropped from 8 to 1080 (ref)
Hard to believe these ever were serious contenders, but such were the early days of the site.

That's excluding expansions, which used to be ranked once upon a time, and now aren't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
For the life of me I cannot remember what held the top spot before Puerto Rico, maybe T&E?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
T&E, Princes of Florence, Die Macher were definitely all top 10 back in the day. Not sure if Die Macher made top 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.