Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to Code 777, Black Vienna, Sleuth, Jotto, Old Town, Mastermind, Coda, and Zendo, what else (if anything) should we try? (Thus far, Mastermind and Coda are the only non-hits on this list.) I know I could search deduction on the database and get a long list, but I'm especially interested in recommendations/comparisons -- I'm not interested in playing everything in the genre, just in finding any particularly good ones I've missed and that don't just seem like twins or pale imitations of ones already played.

Oh yeah, Coyote is in the mail and we'll definitely try it as soon as it arrives. We own Destination Tresor but when I bought it a couple of years ago, it looked really daunting (we were new to gaming and my daughter was probably 6) and made its way to the back of the games cupboard where it has remained ever since. Anyone played it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inkognito
Werewolf
Fury of Dracula
Mystery of the Abbey
Scotland Yard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Inkognito has been in the back of the cupboard too because we never have a fourth player, but this Thursday we will and I think she already know the game. What a timely reminder!

I should also have included Mystery of the Abbey, Scotland Yard, and Clue: The Great Museum Caper in my original list. We should probably re-try Scotland Yard, which was a miss the first time (again, a couple of years ago). But I suspect that we like the rules-example or example-rules kinds of deduction games rather than the locational ones (which may be another reason Destination Tresor hasn't been played yet).

How many do you need for Werewolf? I had the impression it was big crowd game. We're generally 2 or 3, with the occasional 4th.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Old Town. It's a logic/deduction game, but rather unlike the others you've mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
You (and the respondants) seem to have covered most of the ones I can think of other than Eleusis (packaged poorly as "Genius Rules" awhile back). And since it's played with regular cards, there's nothing to purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can try some of the games entered into a contest here:
http://boardgames.about.com/od/deductiongame1/index.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Saw a copy of 221B Baker Street in a thrift store on the weekened but decided to pass. Don't know much about it except it's a deduction game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Newman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Black Box

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you interested in the kind of games where you must deduce who the other players are, such as Heimlich & Co, 13 Dead End Drive, Bang!, and Conspiracy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
Are you interested in the kind of games where you must deduce who the other players are, such as Heimlich & Co, 13 Dead End Drive, Bang!, and Conspiracy?

We do like that kind of game, but it's in a different category for me --more psychological than analytical. Maybe the dividing line involves bluffing.

And thanks for the link to the contest games -- we'll try some out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Try online Werewolf right here on BGG. There is nothing else like it. The deduction element is off the charts. Real life WW is more psychological. Online WW is analytical. New games are beginning all the time.

My favorite location deduction game is still Clue: The Great Museum Caper, even though I am impressed with Fury of Dracula.

Sue, it seems like you have played several deduction games that I am interested in. How would you rank the ones you have listed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey McBeth
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Inkognito.

I enjoy Patterns 2 from Gamut of Games quite a bit

Dia De Los Muertos / Four Dragons has a not insignificant deduction aspect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re what I think of the ones I've already played.

Thus far, I think that Code 777 is my favorite. It feels lighter than the others and I marvel at the design because it's surprising how so few and such odd questions really do give you all you need to know. The fact that it's quick and can be played by two are also pluses for me.

Black Vienna is more of a challenge and I like that about it. What I don't like is the fact that it's so unforgiving. It takes a few plays to perfect your note-taking system which I don't really mind, but what gets me is that if someone else makes a simple mistake (e.g. lays down one chip when there should be two), other players are hopelessly screwed because you build so heavily on what you know that it's basically impossible to backtrack and fix an assumption and then go forward again on more solid ground. This makes it a really iffy game to play with non-gamers/newbies/kids and, given that it takes 3 players, that's kind of a problem for me. I also think it looks really cheesy, but that's fixable.

Jotto is likely to become our favorite waiting game/activity because it's essentially equipment-free. I'll just make sure I tuck some scoresheets in whatever book/binder I'm carrying around. Two-player is a plus in this context and it's easy to handicap if you're playing with a kid. But it doesn't exactly feel like playing a game, although the fact that you're simultaneously guessing and giving clues is a definite improvement over Mastermind and Zendo.

Thus far, I've only played Old Town as a solitaire game, but the rules have me really eager to try it multi-player. I suspect it might have the same light/fun feeling that I get playing Code 777. Black Vienna, Sleuth, and Jotto, by contrast, feel serious and much less interactive. Kind of like a parallel play Sudoku.

Sleuth has been my husband's fave. He likes the asymmetrical information aspects that come with everybody being told how many cards fit a description but only the questioner seeing which cards. I tend to feel that passing cards undermines the deduction aspect. I'm still trying to get a handle on how to make best use of the questioning cards, so I haven't quite decided how I think Sleuth stacks up against, say, Black Vienna. (OTOH, given that Sleuth is actually in print and easy to find, it's probably the one I'm most likely to teach people because if they like it, they can get a copy.)

Mastermind (which I loved as a child) and Coda both feel like kid stuff to me, although I haven't tried MM with empty holes or more colors (we have two sets with some different colors and same-sized pegs) which would make it harder. I had great success playing Zendo with kindergartners a couple of years ago, but this year's (much less analytically/mathematically inclined) crop of K'ers couldn't handle it. Zendo strikes me as a really neat game, but I can't usually get people to play it with me and I've spent way too much time as the Master, so I'm not sure how it feels from the other side of the table (which is where I think I'd rather be).

Mystery of the Abbey is my daughter's fave, although she's also really enamored of Code 777. She appreciates the high production values and that she gets to make up her own questions in Mystery of the Abbey. Plus the fact that there's "more going on" -- e.g. movement, special cards) makes Mystery feel like more of a game and less of a logic problem/puzzle than the others. But it's hard to find a time when 3 of us are all up for 90+ minutes of MoA and I think that the endgame is kind of tedious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cinzori
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Deduce or Die http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/19765

I haven't tried this yet, but it's on my want-to-play list. A friend of mine recommends it highly. And it's free (assuming you have 3 decks of cards available).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, thanks Sue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Easterlin
United States
Saint Peters
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fury of Dracula. <--- period

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lisa smith
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of mastermind, try My Word (1972 not the more recent game which is completely different). It's kindof mastermind with words, more challaging.

It's paper and pencil game, great for playing while you are waiting in restaurants and the like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anttoni Huhtala
Finland
Espoo
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
10 PRINT "Hello!"
badge
Hello!
mbmbmbmbmb
you might want to try timbuktu

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/691

Just remember to play with the original rules, and not let anyone write things down..

a

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jewels in the Sand is an old favourite:
http://boardgames.about.com/od/deductiongame1/a/jewels_in_sa...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also:

Deduction
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/5118

Sphinx
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/15958

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh, yeah, I forgot about 221B Baker Street, especially if kids are involved. I've often thought it would be interesting if everyone had a hand of movement cards (cards with values of, say, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, and 6). Then, instead of rollind a die, pick the one you want until you have no cards left. Then everyone gets all their cards back.

Also, if you like Code 777 (I find it interesting that you find it relaxed), then there is also What's That on my Head?

There's also an old game called Whodunit>? that is very similar to Clue, but seems to have a little more going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.