Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Ringgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
I need a healer!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried a simple house rule yesterday that turned out to be surprisingly fun, so I thought I'd share it here for posterity.
The rule change was simple:
1: Switch phase 2 (Bid for turn order) and phase 3 (place clues on the map) around
2: In phase 3 (now phase 2), instead of players placing clues on the map, place the appropriate number of clues (e.g. 3 clues in a 4 player game) randomly on the board.

The effect of this seemed to be that:
1: The bidding for position was "fiercer" for a lack of a better description as there was more "opportunities" on the board to account for.
2: There was significantly more movement on the board, making the movement options on the wheel a bigger factor in what to turn the wheel to.
3: The "weaker" (in our opinion at least) characters were selected more often, as they might be in better positions to grab clues. Also time seemed to become a more valued commodity, since more of it was spent moving characters.

For random placement we did the following, but any number of methods could be use:
We used a d12 to determine random clue position, one roll to determine the row (11 rows total so reroll a 12) and another roll for the space on that row (skipping illegal squares, rerolling if the row has fewer squares then rolled or modifying the die appropriately depending on row). (for the pedantic, yes there are 2 squares on the board that cant be generated this way, since 1 or 2 of the rows have 13 valid spaces, but in the scheme of things they don't really matter) .

For reference this was a 4 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marco valtriani
Italy
Pisa
PI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It could be a good variant, seems fun (maybe less strategy, but much more movement). I will try it. Nice one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.