Spain
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello,

As per what I read on the newly announced Beagle expansion, it seems that:
1- Portal will be releasing the Beagle expansion in english
2- Portal Beagle expansion won t be compatible with ZMan without sleeving cards

Questions:
1- Do Portal and ZMan edition have different card thickness and back?
2- Is Portal Beagle expansion fully compatible with Portal english edition of Robinson Crusoe?

What are the other differences between ZMan and Portal english editions?
I understand that ZMan edits some texts in the card and rulebook, but that Portal rules are more correct and faithful to the designer rules.

I was considering going for ZMan edition but now i m totally confused and I m thinking I shall try to find Portal english edition.

Thank you very much in advance,
y.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) According to Ignacy, they do have different thickness. The mystery cards have different backs in the Portal and Z-man edition.

2) I think so. The VotB expansion is an English version, and compatible with the Portal English edition of the base game.

Regarding the rules, there seem to be a lot of discussion about their interpretation. Actually, Z-man screwed up a very important rule on the night phase in their edition, but it seems that they didn't make a lot of changes rule-wise.

The designer official position is that if a rule is unclear just play the way you feel most comfortable with. Some people take issue at this approach; they like an official position. The new German edition of the base game apparently has revised rules. The availability of these in English is unclear yet...

So if you want to get RC along with VotB, you need the Portal edition in order for it to be 100% compatible. I don't know if there is an official announcement from Z-man about the expansion.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bishop
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I don't know if there is an official announcement from Z-man about the expansion.

I wouldn't call it "official", but a Z-Man representative stated in one of these threads that they plan to release the VotB expansion in early 2014.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Buman
United States
Harlan
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the Voyage of the Beagle only contains cards for the event deck. These cards have the same backs in the Zman and Portal editions. So the only card differences should be a thickness issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1932f20 wrote:
I understand the Voyage of the Beagle only contains cards for the event deck. These cards have the same backs in the Zman and Portal editions. So the only card differences should be a thickness issue.

Yes - the Portal expansion is also compatible with the ZMan edition, if you sleeve the cards. This is what I will do; my ZMan game is already sleeved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yann
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you very much for your clarifications!

Is portal english edition still easy to find?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
youtch wrote:
Thank you very much for your clarifications!

Is portal english edition still easy to find?

I'm afraid not. The game was very hard to find, even before the release of the Zman's version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More about compatibility here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1036229/compatibility-with-z...

In summary you simply need to sleeve the event deck to use the Portal expansion with the ZMan base game.

Portal base game is already compatible, but contains more English text errors on cards and in rulebook, than ZMan version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Norris
Denmark
Viborg
flag msg tools
?
badge
Sorry, I dont eat mouse cursors
mbmbmbmbmb
nickbolton wrote:
Yes - the Portal expansion is also compatible with the ZMan edition, if you sleeve the cards. This is what I will do; my ZMan game is already sleeved.

Hopefully you didnt use the FFG green label sleeves for the big cards as I did? The Portal cards are wider than Z-Man's cards.

So did anybody find any good sleeves that works with both Portal and Zman's versions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JNorris wrote:

Hopefully you didnt use the FFG green label sleeves for the big cards as I did? The Portal cards are wider than Z-Man's cards.

So did anybody find any good sleeves that works with both Portal and Zman's versions?

I have done Looks like I'll need to investigate a solution when my copy arrives.

I wonder why the card size isn't consistent and why Portal didn't mention this fact when they mentioned different card thickness?

Maybe FFG purple will fit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nickbolton wrote:
JNorris wrote:

I have done Looks like I'll need to investigate a solution when my copy arrives.

I wonder why the card size isn't consistent and why Portal didn't mention this fact when they mentioned different card thickness?

Maybe FFG purple will fit?

Perhaps that's what was meant by thickness? I can totally see some of us non native English speakers mistaking width with thickness...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wu
United States
Walnut
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received my copy of the expansion.

Looking for a solution to make it compatible with the Z-man Edition. As mentioned previously the portal edition are wider than the z-man therefore the FFG green sleeves will not fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Thorpe
United Kingdom
Birkenhead
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you say sleeve the portal cards to make them compatible with z-man, do you mean sleeve them in non see through backs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wu
United States
Walnut
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They have the same backs but the portal cards are wider than z-man cards.

I used the FFG green sleeves but those are not wide enough to fit the portal cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cory swafford
United States
Waterbury
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The FFG Purple sleeves work just fine for all event cards. I own the Zman Base and the Portal expansion and the purple sleeves work like a charm. They are slightly wider and longer than the cards but not too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Norris
Denmark
Viborg
flag msg tools
?
badge
Sorry, I dont eat mouse cursors
mbmbmbmbmb
mercurycs wrote:
The FFG Purple sleeves work just fine for all event cards. I own the Zman Base and the Portal expansion and the purple sleeves work like a charm. They are slightly wider and longer than the cards but not too much.

Super, thanks for the info. I will try that solution then =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.