Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JATL
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have only really been getting into board games this past year and getting my friends on board has been a challenge. The thing is, many of my friends are not new to board games, most of them are all seasoned Catan fans. Naturally, I thought it would be easy to introduce them to new games. I have made many fruitless attempts to bring new games to the table.

Resistance, King of Tokyo and Hanabi were some of my first purchases and instant hits. I scoured the nets for more light party games and as I brought more games to the table I felt more resistance to trying them. I had resigned myself to the fact that my friends just weren't that in games. What I have learned is timing is everything! Never try to teach a new game to drunk people, it will never end well.

So, some what defeated I began looking elsewhere for players,eager to pursue my new hobby. I came to find some more serious players in my office and elsewhere. I even found a meet up group to try out new games with. However, it just wasn't the same. I wanted my best friends with me. I was still determined to bring them into the fold.

It turned out to not be as big of a challenge as I thought. First, I made a bargain with them. For ever game of Settler we played, they would have to play a new game with me. Reasonable enough. Second, we all agreed that it would be impossible to play on a Friday or Saturday and that a week night gathering would be best to learn a new game. Finally, I wooed them to my house with the best damn breakfast tacos this side of the Mississippi.

After tacos, I reveal to everyone, Kemet. I will admit, I had also never played and was extremely intimidated. I gave all of them the chance to back down and play something else. To my surprise everybody said "lets go for it." I assured them it was not going be easy ride and after a brief explanation we decided that a how to video might be a good idea.

We didn't end up finishing our first game because of time but, by the end of our fourth day cycle we were egging each other on, talking shit, boasting our prowess and cheering at ever battle. The learning curve really slowed us down and I really appreciate my friends sticking through it. We all ended up having lots of fun and walked away eager to play again.

It just goes to show that timing is everything...but breakfast tacos sure help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Bribery can do wonders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adriaan
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't bother going through this poor lay-out but I agree with Enrico
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you don't have many forum posts on your account, I'll leave a friendly tip. Break your posts into sections split by empty lines. It makes it easier to read on a computer screen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micah Mulinix
United States
kingston
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tacos?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to go with the obvious, how about letting them pick some games they may want to try?

If there were already into Settlers, then perhaps they would like something similar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melface McPuggins
United States
Winooski
Vermont
flag msg tools
mb
I know that feeling. My roommate and her boyfriend aren't really "into" board games. Her boyfriend used to be, but he does more DnD/Pathfinder than anything now. Luckily we talked her into trying Munchkin, and now she wants to take a stab at games like Ticket to Ride, Evil Baby Orphanage and my new copy of Jetpack Unicorn.

I'm hoping I can sell her into something like Elder Sign, or maybe R3d November before too long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.