Jeremy Martin
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I've got nothing up my sleeves
mbmbmbmbmb
If I have all the "stuff" for the game (i.e. people are playing with my stuff), how do I split it up fairly for 2 or 3 people? I'm about to receive the game, so maybe this is all explained in the rules, but I wanted to ask about different ways to do this. For example, has anyone used a draft to distribute the ships/upgrades/crew?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drafting really doesn't work well because of the customization level of the game. The best thing I have found is to prebuild a couple evenly point costed fleets and then either randomly chose who gets what or let the players pick the faction they like.

I guess you could do something similar if you prebuilt single ships with crew and upgrades and then let them take turns picking or randomly distribute them, but you run into balancing issues if someone gets a Negh'Var at 30-40 points and someone else gets an Apnex at 15-20.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Bruun
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jergarmar wrote:
If I have all the "stuff" for the game (i.e. people are playing with my stuff), how do I split it up fairly for 2 or 3 people? I'm about to receive the game, so maybe this is all explained in the rules, but I wanted to ask about different ways to do this. For example, has anyone used a draft to distribute the ships/upgrades/crew?

Splitting up along faction lines seems the easiest way to do so. Federation need Picard as a little boost to help combat the effectiveness of cloak IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
+1 for choosing along faction lines.

I almost always play with 4 or 5 people. We are pretty relaxed, so most people get to play with what they want to play with (I always take what is left... it's my game so I'm happy to play with anything; plus I want everyone to have a good time). After choosing factions, everyone builds a fleet up to an assigned point value. We've had a lot of fun doing it this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how we do it as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scooter of the Ancients
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The other day we played a 5-way game that went something like this. Roll to see who goes first, and then in order, everyone picks a ship.

Then, we ignored the Squad Point rules, everyone was allowed to max out their ship's upgrade slots, although we were required to stay within faction.

If more than one person was playing the same faction (which was guaranteed to happen in our case) then those players took turns choosing from the pool of Upgrades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Martin
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of the reason I asked about drafting in particular was by the recommendation by a MTG player I know. Apparently they have this booster draft system where there are multiple drafting rounds. So for 2 players it would be something like 6 randomized "packs" (one pack per player, 3 rounds of drafting). You would have more than 100 points, of course, so then you pare it down into a 100-point fleet.

I looked up info on stuff like this, and didn't find much, but I did find a recommendation to put one ship per "pack", so that you had first dibs on at least 3 ships.

But I have like zero experience with MTG or Attack Wing or any other competitive gaming environment, so I feel like I have no basis to separate a good idea from a bad idea.

EDIT: I guess I'm thinking of the concept of a "Fairy Tale" draft, where you intentionally draft more cards than you play, so that you can strategically deny important cards to opponents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it was on the X-Wing forums, but one of the designers there would randomly draw a ship, then randomly draw upgrades for the ship to test out various strategies (most didn't do so well)

You could very well "draft" ships/captains/crew/upgrades this very way, but I think you would have to think of each of those segments as a mtg "pack" of cards. And it would really help if you had more than just the starter.

Lets say you build it like an MTG cube with 10 ships:

10 ships = 20 ship cards, or in a 2 player game 2 packs of 10 cards
~25ish captains?
~30 crew?
~5 elite talents?
~15 photons/secondary weapons?
~10 tech upgrades?

I'm just guessing at what 10 ships contain, but I have one of each ship in my collection. I think if you did this with one of each ship you could build a "cube" with a starter and 1 each of wave 0. You could add the upgrades and wave 1 later to supplement the cube. When a buddy and I draft, I can't think of the system it is formally but it works like this: we mix all the cards together without looking, cut the pile, then I take 4 cards off the top. I choose and keep 1, handing him the remaining 3, he chooses 2, and hands me back 1. We alternate who draws 4 off the top each time until they have all been "drafted".

We've also done this with 3 people, picking 6 cards off the top, first person gets 1, then 2, then 2, then is lastly handed 1 from the original "pack". I think this system would lend itself very well to STAW assuming you had one of each ship!

If you put the elite talents in with the captains and used that as "pack 1", then did the ships as "pack 2", and everything else as "pack 3" I could see this working very well! Of course, you'd have to use the same color sleeves for each "pack" (or everything) so you don't see me picking all the Klingons...

I may have to try this, it sounds fun!

For Reference: A MTG "Cube" is 360 cards picked beforehand by the person making the cube. They cater it how they wish (all one color, all big creatures, all the best cards ever, super combos, etc). They call over 7 buddies for a total of 8, then shuffle the whole thing and make 15 card packs so that each person has a 3 packs of 15 cards. Each person looks at their first pack, takes one, and passes the pack around the table taking 1 card out of each pack handed to them and passing the pack on. This represents a MTG Draft, only the cube was designed by someone and not just the usual randomness of MTG packs. The cube can contain more or less cards, the packs can be different sizes, but the goal is the same: to build the best sealed deck out of cards you see and can pick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C LG
msg tools
mb
Ahoy,

We've had great success with drafting in attack wing. Drafting works because most of the upgrades/captains can be used on any ship.

Set a point limit- we use 100pts.

Create enough packs that everyone will have about 24 cards (4 packs per person). Each pack should have 1 ship. We use one of every card and ONLY named ships. In creating the packs, you should shuffle up the cards sufficiently to randomize the packs. Include unnamed captains. These have to be drafted to be used.

Pick up a pack, take a card and pass it along.

We haven't found any playability issues so far.

You will have more cards than you need at the end of the draft to field an effective list. I've found that this is not only a fun way to play, but also forces you to occasionally field an upgrade that is less powerful than you would run in a constructed build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Martin
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the positive recommendation. I have 6 ships coming, so I would have to have 3 packs per person, but I think it would still work. It might be tough to draft with 3 players, though.

As for the "unnamed captains", though, why not leave them out of the draft, and just provide one for free if necessary?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C LG
msg tools
mb
We've gone back and forth on unnamed captains. Our thinking is that it forces you to make more decisions during the draft, which we like.

You could also play to 50 to 75 pts if you have fewer resources available. It still needs wider testing, but it's a pretty neat way to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jergarmar wrote:
Thanks for the positive recommendation. I have 6 ships coming, so I would have to have 3 packs per person, but I think it would still work. It might be tough to draft with 3 players, though.

As for the "unnamed captains", though, why not leave them out of the draft, and just provide one for free if necessary?

Does your 6 ships include the starter? Or did you get the starter + 6 ships?

If you will only have 6 ships total, I would recommend using all of your stuff to draft 40 point fleets for 3 players. That's either one super awesome ship or 2 bare minimum smaller ones. Once you have 9 total ships to choose from I would then bump it up to 80 points. When you get a couple more, go to 100 draft points then.

If you try and draft 100 points with 6 ships between 3 people, you may not even get a 100 point fleet and you'll be using almost every card you draft. I think you'd want to use a lower point value to start forcing choices.

As for the Free captains, I could see it going either way. House rule time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hawke
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Until we got our own sets, I just created 4 faction specific builds that were fairly balanced. In addition to players picking one of the four, it's also fun to keep track of the win-loss of each build. It can be a fun thing for the winning player to pick the least-winning build and try to prove it wrong... though overall I felt we came up with some fairly balanced ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Martin
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no problem with faction-specific builds, but a LARGE part of my excitement is exploring cross-faction fleets. I prefer generating some hilarious reason why a Dominion ship has a Klingon captain and flying with the Defiant, more than being as "thematically realistic" as possible.

Oh, and as for the ships I'm getting, it is 6 total (3 starter and 3 expansion ships). Yeah, I figured that 3-player drafting won't really be viable yet. I'll probably just have to go with faction-specific teams for that.

As a total aside, Tom Vasel just did the "top 10 3-player games" on his podcast, and Attack Wing was an out-of-the-blue #2! Awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.