Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Sink
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Somethings been nagging me for the past day and I thought I'd get it off my chest. I was just rejected form a game contest because I have published two video games in my past ( the last one over 5 years ago). I was told that because I had been published I was disqualified from this contest, however the rules were vague in saying "published game". I had no idea a video game would be considered equivalent to a board, card, or dice game, but I guess it was.

I spent a lot of time on this not aware that there was any possibility I would be disqualified for what I consider to be an unrelated field.

Someone please tell me I'm overreacting and should just take my lumps and move on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Zhu
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
louper wrote:
It sounds like you're overreacting.

Is that the ONLY reason you developed your game - to win the contest? I'd hope you look at it as a creative endeavor and that you enjoyed making it for the sake of making it rather than JUST to enter a contest.

You said it first: "Take your lumps and move on."

I think you missed the point of this post. The OP is saying that he shouldn't be disqualified from a board game contest because he's published a video game a few years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
keithsink wrote:
Somethings been nagging me for the past day and I thought I'd get it off my chest. I was just rejected form a game contest because I have published two video games in my past ( the last one over 5 years ago). I was told that because I had been published I was disqualified from this contest, however the rules were vague in saying "published game". I had no idea a video game would be considered equivalent to a board, card, or dice game, but I guess it was.

I hate to say it, but if you're designing boardgames you ought to know how to read rules by now.

If the contest rules said "no published boardgames" that's different from if it said "no published games".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Sink
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your feedback Todd. I didn't just do it for the contest and I'm always learning more every time I get involved. Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Daniels
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was a board-game SPECIFIC contest in which the qualifications were to not have a "published game" (unspecified but heavily implied to pertaining only to board game publication?). If so, I think you've got a reason to be irked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is rules lawyering at the worst. Any normal person reads that as "published board game".

So, designing and publishing a platform or shooting game for the iphone would disqualify you as a board game designer? That's just silly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
keithsink wrote:

I hate to say it, but if you're designing boardgames you ought to know how to read rules by now.

If the contest rules said "no published boardgames" that's different from if it said "no published games".

Even with careful reading there is a lot of ambiguity there, being unnecessarily insulting isn't helpful.

It does seem clear that if the contest is for tabletop games then the restriction against publishing games would be specifically in regards to tabletop games and not just any games in general. This rings true both with common sense and upon considering the spirit of the rule in the first place. You don't want any established board game designers in an amateur contest, that makes sense. However, what does work on a videogame have to do with that? It's as arbitrary a restriction as saying "no motorcyclists."

The disqualification may be true to the letter of the rule but it flies in the face of the implied rule and of the supposed logic behind the rule in the first place. It's absurd, I'd be more than a little irritating. I'm even getting irritated on their behalf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
msg tools
It's a combination, really. Do you have a legitimate beef? Probably. Should you ultimately let it go, keep working on your design and submit it to another contest with clearer rules? Definitely.

Sounds like you've got a legit complaint, and this has been a good vent, so you can now move on in peace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering if this wasn't just some misunderstanding? Did you specifically tell them you had published video games? Did they search your name on the internet and find your resume? There might have been a miscommunication, or the person who saw your name next to a video game maybe just saw the 'game' part and didn't investigate further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Richard
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I won't lie, I'd be irked too. But your best bet is to shrug it off and move on.

Any time you spend thinking it will be a waste. It doesn't matter whether they are BS'ing you or if that video games were implied... the past won't change. Just let out a nice little curse word to feel better and move onto your next project.

Again though, I repeat that I agree with you. Video Games and board games are two VERY separate products. Heck... I wouldn't even consider my VG work as me publishing anything.
I didn't have any say in the game or any recognition for my efforts... I just worked there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah it sounds like this starts to get into a grey area even questioning what does "published" mean? If you sold a single copy of a game you designed through Gamecrafter does that sale mean you are published now? I'd be insulted as well simply because the two are diverse enough, video games are not much like board games at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
louper wrote:

Is that the ONLY reason you developed your game - to win the contest? I'd hope you look at it as a creative endeavor and that you enjoyed making it for the sake of making it rather than JUST to enter a contest.

To me, it would depend quite a lot on the context.

If I got disqualified from a game-design contest on the BGG forums with a GeekGold prize, I'd shrug and move on.

If I got disqualified from a big-cash-money contest (should such a thing exist!) that I'd thought I had a good chance at and had invested significant time and effort specifically to try and win? I'd be pretty pissed off at the disingenuity of the contest organisers for wasting my unrecoverable time and energy on such a stupid technicality - or at least for not making it clear that they were being so broad in their definition from the get-go.

I'd be curious what "published" means in this context, but it already sounds stupid, I'm not sure I actually want to know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Sink
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donkler wrote:
I'm wondering if this wasn't just some misunderstanding? Did you specifically tell them you had published video games? Did they search your name on the internet and find your resume? There might have been a miscommunication, or the person who saw your name next to a video game maybe just saw the 'game' part and didn't investigate further.

They specifically told me it was because of the video games, even though there is no mention of "video" games in their rules. I did asked for clarification. Their rules don't mention "video games" anywhere, just "published game" which of course is very vague.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
The only answer is: LITIGATION!
We shall take them to court forthwith!
For DAMAGES and PAIN and SUFFERING and... whatever else we can get!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chockle wrote:
fishminer wrote:
louper wrote:
It sounds like you're overreacting.

You said it first: "Take your lumps and move on."

I think you missed the point of this post. The OP is saying that he shouldn't be disqualified from a board game contest because he's published a video game a few years ago.
Where did he say he was disqualified from a board game contest?

I suppose the implication is that it was a board game contest because he is posting this on a board game forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chockle wrote:
fishminer wrote:

Where did he say he was disqualified from a board game contest?

The OP said this, "I had no idea a video game would be considered equivalent to a board, card, or dice game, but I guess it was."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poking around your website, it seems the video game you made was a kind of card game. I can kind of see where the contest is coming from if this is what they saw too, although they should have been more explicit in their rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lewis
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hypothetical person: "Have you ever published a game?"

You: "Yes, I did a couple computer games"

Other you: "What kind of game do you mean?"

You in this circumstance: "No" {Monologue: We were just talking about board games, that must still be the scope of this question}

You didn't make an unreasonable assumption, but you did make an assumption without verifying it. It stinks, but the rules as written certainly support their conclusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Shanmugasundaram
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I don't consider a video game equivalent to a board game, but then, with a little thought, I see what a slippery slope it is.

When you port a boardgame to a video game, the only difference is the act of programming. The design aspect takes place outside of the software environment.

And if you ported a video game to a board game, it's a matter of dissection and recombobulation, and making humans to do some of the tasks a machine did automagically.

For the OP, I totally sympathize, but it would be very annoying for the judging committee to decide whether Super Mario Brothers design effort or the Ticket to Ride Android port was equivalent to developing the Tzolk'in board game or the Call of Cthulhu RPG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. What contest is/was this?
It is hard to give good advice without knowing the full details.

At face value, denying entry because you worked in an unrelated venue seems a bit... low.

But if the rules were stringent in other areas. Then it might have been a subtle clue something might be amiss.

BGG contests can occasionally go sideways in odd ways. Rack it up to a learning experience and avoid contests by that person. A few years back there was one running fairly regular contests and things tended to go poorly at some stage. Often just overly restrictive rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.