Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
Fanboy!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Travel Event card text states:

Draw cards from the current Act's Shop Item deck until a Melee weapon is revealed.

One hero may choose to perform an attack with a Melee weapon against a grey defense die. This hero is also targeted by an attack from the drawn Shop Item, using his normal defense pool.

If the hero deals more ❤ than he suffers, he may take the drawn Shop Item. If he suffers more ❤ than he deals, discard the drawn shop item. In either case, return this card to the game box.

If the heroes choose not to do this, treat this Travel Event card as "No Event".

Question(s):

1) What happens if the combat round is a tie, when both the hero and the opponent (the lone knight) deal the same amount of damage? Is it followed by a second (and third, and fourth...) round of Melee combat to finally resolve the event?

2) Does all damage on the challenging Hero remain (cumulative), until the beginning of the start of the next campaign adventure, when it can be healed?

3) What is the purpose of the statement "... return this card to the game box"? Wouldn't all Travel Event cards be returned to the game box, between two campaign adventures anyway?

Thank you in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I'd roll again until one or the other condition is fulfilled.

2. Yes, the damage would remain, as does other damage, conditions, etc. suffered by heroes during the Travel step.

3. Returning it to the box ensures that the card is used only once in a campaign — it won't come up again, unlike other Travel cards, which are shuffled back into the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Penn
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My opinions would be:

1. Since the ending conditions are spelled out as when there is a clear victor, a tier would result in rerolls until a valid ending condition exists (ie the hero deals or suffers more hearts than he takes or gives). Thematically, assume that the Hero player is having a "duel" with a monster using the Shop weapon and one grey defense die. Until one or the other is victorious, the fight continues!

2. Yes. This is true for all other travel cards as well.

3. Technically, I believe you are supposed to draw travel cards one at a time. Thus this particular travel card, having returned to the box after being resolved, could potentially be drawn again during the same travel phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the card is returned to the box, not to the Travel deck. When you return a card to the box, it means it's out of play for the rest of the game/campaign. You can see this established in the campaign rules for items — if you sell off an Act I item in Act II, it's returned to the box and no longer available. You draw cards out of decks, not the box, so if a card's "back in the box," it's gone.

Every other FFG game I've played treats "return X to the box" in this way.

The card would be shuffled back into the Travel deck if you decide not to carry out the instructions and treat it as "no event" instead. The rules say nothing I can find about when the Travel deck is shuffled; I shuffle it after each Travel step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Penn
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Aha! We always draw "from the box". Semantics really, but I suppose that in this case the interpretation makes all the difference in the world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
it is also quite questionable if the dark knight attack is affectable by overlord cards such as dark might or dark fortune. also there is no clear condition on what would happen if the hero would be k.o.ed due to multiple ties in a row

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Treskunov
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One more question - does the wording "normal defense pool" include shields or any skills/abilities, that allow re-rolls?
So should this challenge be treated just as an ordinary attack or does it imply only attack and defence dice without any modificators?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My reading is that it would include any dice you would roll as a result of your innate defense and armor (that is, any dice pictured on the righthand side of an armor card that are added to your dice pool), but not anything that, say, exhausting a skill, armor or shield card would allow, or any abilities that allow rerolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Trammell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
BOOM!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was also confused by this card. The heroes can skip it or do battle. What is the incentive for them to do battle? Or am I interpetting it wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The incentive is that if you win, you keep the item you "fought" against.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Trammell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
BOOM!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! That's how we played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.