Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
44 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions » Essen

Subject: Only hall 1-3 + gallery? SLightly worried rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just printed the hall plan. It says only hall 1-3 +gallery.

Is it smaller as other years, or is this just the game publishers, and not the LARP hall and 2nd hand hall etc?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mousey
Netherlands
Je suis Paris
flag msg tools
ESSEN The Game: SPIEL '13 Featuring Jonah
badge
RIP Jonah Lomu 1975-2015
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's bigger, those halls are real big!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Pachner
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at the image below. Halls 1-3 have more floor space than halls 4-12 combined:

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Argh! LOL. You're right! Previous years was halls4-12. Now I see!

Thanks!

I'm packing my things, going tomorrow!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We're here already. It'a huge this year. Certainly no smaller than previous years (but very confusing, as everything has moved from their usual places).
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Clarke
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
www.unhalfbricking.com
badge
EuroGamer since 1980, & online games retailer since 2003
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The noise will go up to 11!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It was fun!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus A.
Germany
Bochum
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hall 3 is HUGE!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ultra Bithalver
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thorin2001 wrote:
Hall 3 is HUGE!
This.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Vos
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a fan of the change. I used to be able to find things blindfolded. Now everything is unfamiliar again. Also, I got seriously disoriented in Hall 2 a couple of times. Expecting a gate to Hall 1, I found the Gallery or vice versa. They're too big and not enough landmarks.

I'm still having tons of fun, though. Great games, great people.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus A.
Germany
Bochum
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah! I was lost once or twice, too.
I don't like that the rows (neither north-south, nor east-west) go a straight line. That's what makes it even more complicated to find your way...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Devlin
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
After 2 days here are my thoughts on Halls 1/2/3 vs Halls 3-12:

1. Will have to wait to hear attendance figures, but it seems more crowded this year. Not sure but maybe due to the loss of perimeter space? Perhaps the jagged nature of halls 3-12 actually permit more booths against walls freeing up some more walking area? halls 1 & 2 have lots of area but maybe lots of it is in the middle...

2. A huge increase in the comic, cosplay presence. Maybe I was just under an amsterdam drug haze last year but i could have swore comics & cosplay was only hall 12 last year. I think there are many more comic/cosplay booths and this has jammed more people(vendors and fans) into the middle of these huge rectangle halls. I think the increase in comic/cosplay is great but it just happened to coincide with the new 3 hall arrangement and it made moving about more difficult this year.

3. Many of the huge booth are islands with walls in the middle of traffic flow. Walls beg for people to sit down or lean against and that narrows all the walking corridors making it seem more crowded. I think they should have all the large booths be against a wall of the hall. then they would have the walls they need behind them(making stock rooms and meeting areas) and not need to build walls in the middle of a hall floorplan.

Would be interested to hear from others about traffic flow and layout this year as opposed to the past.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Vos
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Ops wrote:

1. Will have to wait to hear attendance figures, but it seems more crowded this year. Not sure but maybe due to the loss of perimeter space? Perhaps the jagged nature of halls 3-12 actually permit more booths against walls freeing up some more walking area? halls 1 & 2 have lots of area but maybe lots of it is in the middle...

It wasn't crowded in hall 2. I often found myself retreating to the quiet of hall 2. The difference was very noticeable. But the much of hall 3 and the side of hall 1 were extremely crowded. I get the impression these were a kind of choke points that everybody passes through no matter where they want to go.

All in all, halls 1 and 3 felt very much like halls 10-12 before.

Quote:
2. A huge increase in the comic, cosplay presence. Maybe I was just under an amsterdam drug haze last year but i could have swore comics & cosplay was only hall 12 last year.

Comics and cosplay right in front of the main entrance? That would have been odd. Those were usually restricted to halls 6 and 9.

Quote:
I think there are many more comic/cosplay booths and this has jammed more people(vendors and fans) into the middle of these huge rectangle halls. I think the increase in comic/cosplay is great but it just happened to coincide with the new 3 hall arrangement and it made moving about more difficult this year.

LARP and comics were for the most part restricted to the back and right side of hall 2, so once you know where they are, they're easy to avoid. But if you treat hall 2 like any other hall, then yes, there's a lot of it. But there was always a lot of it in the back of halls 6 and 9 too.

Quote:
3. Many of the huge booth are islands with walls in the middle of traffic flow. Walls beg for people to sit down or lean against and that narrows all the walking corridors making it seem more crowded. I think they should have all the large booths be against a wall of the hall. then they would have the walls they need behind them(making stock rooms and meeting areas) and not need to build walls in the middle of a hall floorplan.

The other side of this coin is that without some kind of fencing, the crowd will use your space as walking corridor. I've seen people walking straight through the Asmodee stand, and another one had a corner that everybody always cut (Queen games? Somewhere in that area).

Quote:
Would be interested to hear from others about traffic flow and layout this year as opposed to the past.

I do think it was different. I think in the past, each hall had a more specific character, and people tended to either stay a long time in a hall, or avoid it. Now, everything was more mixed, the character of a hall can change halfway through the hall, people ended up in places they wanted to avoid, or move through it to get where they want to go. That might make traffic flow quite differently.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Grietens
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the feeling there were a lot of people on Friday. Although the walking area's seem larger than before, Slow walking and waiting are part of the adventure.

My main complaint is the enormous amount of noise in the halls. I guess that comes from the fact that we are now all in 2 big halls, and the noise of everyone can be heard in those halls.

Another complaint I have is the smell of "Bratwurst" that is present in all 3 halls.
Why do people seem to think that Boardgame and Bratwurst go together?
Because they both start with a B ?
I am still smelling the Bartwurst, and i'm 200 km away from Essen now

I was hoping that the new setup with more square meters would result in more free tables where you can play. But that was not so. All interesting tables were occupied all the time. Less people were playing on the ground though (as was often the case in previous years).

It is a bit difficult to remember where you saw what, and that often results in running around in that one big hall number 3. But the more you run around, the better you know where to look for what. It's all just a matter of getting used to the new setup, I think. And i've understood that we are going to stay in these same halls the next 5 years. So next year we will have to search less :-)

I felt more tired than after my visits in previous years. More running around, searching and the noise were to blame I think.

The positive things:
- It's possible to park much closer to the entrance, in an indoor parking.
- the entrance hall is much nicer and bigger than the previous one and has a bar.
- less people on the ground playing
- places where you can eat and drink are more comfortable and modern (and i had the impression there were more places where you could sit and have a snack or coffee).


Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my visit very much. But there is always room for improvement ;-)
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mousey
Netherlands
Je suis Paris
flag msg tools
ESSEN The Game: SPIEL '13 Featuring Jonah
badge
RIP Jonah Lomu 1975-2015
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Magritte wrote:

The positive things:
- It's possible to park much closer to the entrance, in an indoor parking.



Yes, Parking area 5 is great!
A real short walk and even closer to the highway.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heinz Kiosk
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was there Thursday and Friday. To me it felt more crowded than previous years. Hard to move around some parts of the halls by the middle of Thursday. Friday seemed very slightly quieter than Thursday if anything.

The noise and heat and sheer volume of human presence is very intense and I found myself getting tired quite quickly. Being able to go into the quadrangles between the halls was very welcome except when it rained on Friday morning (I still went out for fresh air). The galeria was a little quieter than the halls, too, and cooler.

Agreed, Hall 2 in general was quieter and more relaxing because of specialist interest of most stands.

Agreed also, far far greater choice of eating stands I thought. That is something that has improved steadily over the years. I remember being amazed on my first visit, about 10 years ago, at how *poor* the food concessions were. The Germans have caught on to how much money they can make selling food to convention visitors.

I think there were fewer people playing games on the floor because there was almost nowhere that you could do that and not be trampled.

I note the old halls still stand. I thought they would have demolished them by now. Isn't that the plan?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We got back last night from 3 days at Spiel and I must say I like the new setup better than the old halls

- the rows and booth numbers make sense, making it much easier to plan your journey from booth to booth - example : Q-106 means it's in the top left hand corner of the hall. We did a lot less walking around then previous years and saw a lot more.

- the lighting is much better - especially important for my wife who has taken hundreds of pictures.

- more and better places to get decent food & drinks

- more demo-tables - we got in fairly easily for all the games we wanted to try out.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
We got back last night from 3 days at Spiel and I must say I like the new setup better than the old halls

- the rows and booth numbers make sense, making it much easier to plan your journey from booth to booth - example : Q-106 means it's in the top left hand corner of the hall. We did a lot less walking around then previous years and saw a lot more.

- the lighting is much better - especially important for my wife who has taken hundreds of pictures.

- more and better places to get decent food & drinks

- more demo-tables - we got in fairly easily for all the games we wanted to try out.


This. And I found it MUCH easier to navigate - each hall is clearly signposted so it's easy to figure out where you are and where you want to get to.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked the new hall layout better than the old one. We were there on Friday and it never really got crowded except for the lower end of hall 3 where many of the big names were crammed in together. Maybe they should consider spreading these out a little bit more.

Hall 3 also seemed to have a somewhat erratic pattern in booth numbering due to the different booth sizes, but we found our way in the end .
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mousey wrote:

Yes, Parking area 5 is great!

Which parking was better (/closer)? Parking 5 or 9?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the new layout better. It's easier to find my way, and the crowds wasn't huge. Last year we went thursday and friday, but this year thursday-sunday.

We expected a huge crowd saturday and sunday. Saturday was more crowded then the two previous days, but not much worse. Sunday was the least crowded day of all.

One thing that would improve traffic immensely.... People have to learn to step out to the side when standing still. Often groups of 3-8 people or more, are blocking traffic while chatting or finding out where to go.

Just take 3 steps sideways, and it would be a lot easier to move around.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Downside now really is they either need to install a travelator or Move the Atlantic Congress round the corner; the short walk is no longer short!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serena
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
alfons wrote:
I like the new layout better. It's easier to find my way, and the crowds wasn't huge. Last year we went thursday and friday, but this year thursday-sunday.

We expected a huge crowd saturday and sunday. Saturday was more crowded then the two previous days, but not much worse. Sunday was the least crowded day of all.

One thing that would improve traffic immensely.... People have to learn to step out to the side when standing still. Often groups of 3-8 people or more, are blocking traffic while chatting or finding out where to go.

Just take 3 steps sideways, and it would be a lot easier to move around.


I think you've been to a different fair than I've been to. It got more crowed with every day. And this year marked a new visitor record.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert666 wrote:
Downside now really is they either need to install a travelator or Move the Atlantic Congress round the corner; the short walk is no longer short!
I'd say compared to what you'll be walking during the fair the trip from the Atlantic to the middle entrance isn't that far. Of you could just take the subway from Messe Ost to Messe West. devil

Personally I was actually surprised how the noise level wasn't all that bad. Sure the loudspeaker ads were still annoying as hell but I found the ibis playing area to be louder on average...

Also the corridor letters worked quite well I think.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd
United Kingdom
Camden
London
flag msg tools
badge
This game is bullshit.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Irgendwer wrote:

I think you've been to a different fair than I've been to. It got more crowed with every day. And this year marked a new visitor record.


Oddly, I though Thursday was busiest, followed by Saturday, then Friday and then Sunday.

On Sunday, whilst walking about, I remarked that I was able to extend my arms to either side fully for the first time all weekend. Truthfully or not, Sunday certainly felt less manic so perhaps that added to the feeling of space.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.