Popular Tags: [View All]
Spieler Gott
Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
Wow!
mbmbmbmbmb
Shogun or Wallenstein, which map is better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romain Jacques
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends which type of player you are.

Wallenstein map is more compact/square, Shogun map is more narrow/rectangular. Even with the possibility to move quickly from some coast territory to another with the dash lines on sea, it is easier on the Shogun map to isolate/protect some of your territories.

So if you like more possibilities to attack and interaction with combats you will prefer Wallenstein, but if you prefer to build you empire quietly you might prefer Shogun.

This is not as clear as I said it. I am sure there are players that would say there are as much combats/builds on both maps. It is only my own feelings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like the Wallenstein map might be better with less players. What do you all think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romain Jacques
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Sounds like the Wallenstein map might be better with less players. What do you all think?

Not sure... With less players, each player occupy more territories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spieler Gott
Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
Wow!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what to do. I have Shogun, but Wallenstein is really cheap now compared to the old price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lacey
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are fun. I prefer Shogun, not just for the theme and the more aesthetic board/content. I personally feel Wallenstein almost seems chaotic in the middle portions of the map. It is very very hard to have any semblance of a battle line in that one...but others may like that better. My buddy has Wallenstein and I have Shogun and we rotate between them both. You'd probably be happy with either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Schuman
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Galactus eats cities
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The clever thing with the shogun board is that it has two sides, sun and moon. The one is more peaceful the way the regions are sorted but the other is complete carnage. Just depends on what mood you are in..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spieler Gott
Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
Wow!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for replies.

But does the "moon side" of Shogun not encourage even more battles than in Wallenstein.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romain Jacques
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I don't know what to do. I have Shogun, but Wallenstein is really cheap now compared to the old price.

Same dilemma here. I resisted for a long time, but with the new price I decided to buy it. I am so weak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spieler Gott
Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
Wow!
mbmbmbmbmb
Now you have both? Will you keep both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romain Jacques
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought it online, so I've not Wallenstein yet. But this is the plan, having both maps and being able to play on the map my visitors would like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spieler Gott
Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
Wow!
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem I have with Wallenstein is that the box needs more space in my shelf and the map needs more space on the table. And I like the game components better in Shogun. Wood treasures instead of cardboard coins.
It would be a better solution if Queen games would sell the map separately and make it possible to play on the Wallenstein map with Shogun components. Or I can get the Wallenstein map anyhow and put the Japanese province names on it. Would be a little bit strange, to have Japanese names on a German map. But would be a clever solution in game components efficiency.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael T. Probst
Germany
Waghäusel
of the Art
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is two years old (Wallenstein) and you could not expect any re-issue or offer of single maps by Queen Games. Also their cutomer service seems unable to cope (or willing) to follow their customers...

Since three years QG is selling their games high-priced that's one of the reason I stopped purchasing their games, but now with the change to get this gem (Wallenstein) for cheap, it will be sold for around 30 Euros now, you should take it.

I have now both, Shogun is a really good game you could play with 5 players and the map and components are fantastic, but I think playing Wallenstein with it't pure "chaotic" and tightly arranged map will have a different playing feeling... But I still have to try, because I got it this week! Hope to play it soon, it depends which title my buddies will favor next week...

Space is an issue, but for the current price you should take it, especially when you have buddies playing with you such titles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spieler Gott
Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
Wow!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Wallenstein is really cheap in the moment, but I am actually thinking to sell Shogun again. I played it just once and I liked it, it is a good strategic game, but it took too long for me. And it also took too long to setup. Too many different typs of cards to separat and to keep separated during the whole game. And it reeeeaaally takes long to look through all the different japanese named cards to sort the correct ones out for a game with less than 5 players.
For a building something up/ war game I tend to prefer Cyclades, Kemet or Dust in the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I see these posts are old, but could someone define what they consider a "cheap" price for Wallenstein?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kackarschen wrote:
Yes, Wallenstein is really cheap in the moment, but I am actually thinking to sell Shogun again. I played it just once and I liked it, it is a good strategic game, but it took too long for me. And it also took too long to setup. Too many different typs of cards to separat and to keep separated during the whole game. And it reeeeaaally takes long to look through all the different japanese named cards to sort the correct ones out for a game with less than 5 players.
For a building something up/ war game I tend to prefer Cyclades, Kemet or Dust in the moment.

Gosh - when was this 'cheap wallenstein' available? 30 euros sounds extremely cheap... Is that really what it cost at the beginning of the year? (English edition too?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spieler Gott
Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
Wow!
mbmbmbmbmb
28 Euro
http://www.amazon.de/Queen-Games-60451-Shogun-Brettspiel/dp/...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kackarschen wrote:

Thank you for this, kind sir... although I was wondering about Wallenstein rather than Shogun - which on the whole tends to get better reviews, and has the expansions built in.

I'm sure both games are fun, though, so maybe this is the way to go...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has to be said - shogun is considerably cheaper right now.

If they were much the same in gameplay, it would be a no brainer to go for Shogun. But opinions on BGG sway pretty heavily to Wallenstein being more fun! (Plus it has the free expansions). Ak... Decisions, decisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spieler Gott
Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
Wow!
mbmbmbmbmb
I played both. And for me both games are too long, too boring and chaotic. I sold my Shogun + expansion. I thought it would be more of a war game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kackarschen wrote:
I played both. And for me both games are too long, too boring and chaotic. I sold my Shogun + expansion. I thought it would be more of a war game.

Haha! Well, that's another way of looking at it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.