Popular Tags: [View All]
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, my dissertation [insert "taps"] was, in large part, about the war along the Mississippi, particularly after the fall of Vicksburg. So obviously I picked this up, especially since I've been looking for a less-like-a-dissertation version of Ironclads for a while. The one disappointment: side views, which makes it look like they're capsizing. This is a very slight visual disappointment; I'm not eyeing miniatures for all the ships--YET--but I am curious if there's an easy way to create top-down counters? I have a job and I don't want to quit it. I poked around a little to see if someone already had; if so, I missed it.

Anyone thinking along the same lines? I want to emphasize that I'm still eager to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on how many counters we're talking about here, you might talk GMT into P500ing top-down counter-sheets. I would e-mail GMT customer service and put in your $0.02. They have been known to act on customer suggestions.

I'm okay with the visual layout of the counters, myself. I like profile views, but I also agree that for a game where the map is viewed top-down, the counters would be cooler if they were top-down also . . . but maybe because I'm just used to that for naval games.

If you're interested enough in the period and topic to do a dissertation on it, you sound like *just the guy* to buy minis for the game and never look back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Side view art on the counters and top down on the stat cards, what were they thinking?

There is a company selling top-down views of all kinds of nineteenth century ships. Look for Sail & Steam Navies S&SN on Wargamevault.com You might have to buy several sets ($5-7) but you could scale and print those as nice I&O counters.

http://www.wargamevault.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=5624

I slapped together some models. They turned out so-so. When I get better at it I'll document my process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i would suggest actually playing the game a few times before you figure out if the side profile makes the game unplayable to you.

Being an avid Irondclads fan, I like top down too. But given the way THIS game plays out, ship profile aspect is largely irrelevant.

I wouldn't let the side profile keep you away from what is a hugely fun and fast playing game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rest assured that I never thought it would be "unplayable," and that I am very much hoping to become an I&O fan regardless of the art; as I said, "I want to emphasize that I'm still eager to play."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Dooley
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
If you really want to get into it, try the "box minis" that FASA used in their space game LEVIATHANS. Each 'mini" was a small cardboard box that had left side, top, and right side view on them. The best of both worlds

Seriously though, reference books may have some views that can be scanned and then worked with graphics editor to color. If you are not overly concerned with every single ship view, a relatively few counters could represent the major classes of ships involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oo, box minis. Sometimes a lot of work...but cool! I have a couple of Euro games where you had miniatures made of little wooden blocks, and then you had a sticker you wrapped around it to make it look like a cart or a streetcar or whatever. That'd be sweet...assuming I didn't have to pay any extra money for it. (Cough.)

There's always this scheme from Junior General:

Anyway, yeah. Obviously I'm going to play around before I do something wild. Taking a gander at those Wargame Vault counters, though: Those look pretty cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ordered some of these.. I think they will do great.
http://www.litko.net/products/Wargame-Counter-Stand-Set.html...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not use the ship card or counter images? You can scan each image, and then print one copy correct way round and one copy reversed, glue them together and you have a standee version of the counters. The name or code will be reversed on the reversed side but you can correct that by modifying this with graphics software.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.