Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Rules

Subject: Chang rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nineteen 73
msg tools
If Chang disables a Captain, aside from disabling their text abilities and/or actions, would it also disable their elite talent upgrade?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Caputo
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I assume it nullifies the captain whenever your capt get disabled he is treated like a 0 until enabled I would say yes
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This was answered in the FAQ - right now, the Elite Talents are not disables, but they may change that in the future.

also, if a capt is disabled, and their skill number is higher than Chang, that captain will still get their turn right after Chang - they won't lose their action.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bruce
United States
Elgin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
This confirms my suspicion that Chang is worthless
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skyguard
msg tools
mbmb
DonMegel wrote:
This confirms my suspicion that Chang is worthless


Has anyone come up with a reason to use him? Koloth seems like a better captain for the same cost of 4 and both have a talent slot, plus Koloth is a 7 captain.

I think its the need to spend a target lock and an action that makes him a very poor choice. If he discard the captain I could see it, but having to use two actions to just cost the enemy 1 action seems poor.

You can make a captain that is lower then Change shoot last this turn but that and canceling Martok giving a bonus action for a turn seem to be about its best uses.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nineteen 73
msg tools
I play tested Chang last night with some friends and paired him up with Martok. I don't think I'll be using him again. As with most upgrades and actions, situations dictates the moment they can be used. As such, I don't see him being very useful in any future builds for me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scooter of the Ancients
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I actually like Chang, but he does have to be used carefully. The fact that he needs a Target Lock makes him not so effective against Klingons and Romulans but try pairing him with Martok and then use him against Jean-Luc Picard. Suddenly the mightiest captain in the game is not so mighty.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skyguard
msg tools
mbmb
Mordaenor wrote:
I actually like Chang, but he does have to be used carefully. The fact that he needs a Target Lock makes him not so effective against Klingons and Romulans but try pairing him with Martok and then use him against Jean-Luc Picard. Suddenly the mightiest captain in the game is not so mighty.


Chang will make it so Picard only gets 1 action. As Picard will always move after Chang he uses his ship action to clear the disable from Picard and then Picard's action to do something. So you have used two actions to remove one from Picard's ship. There are times where that may be useful but most of the time I rather have used the 4 pts for a more useful captain or upgraded.

Chang's best play is to take out Normal Martok as you will use two actions to cost the enemy two actions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinKase wrote:
This was answered in the FAQ - right now, the Elite Talents are not disables, but they may change that in the future.

also, if a capt is disabled, and their skill number is higher than Chang, that captain will still get their turn right after Chang - they won't lose their action.


That ruling makes 0 sense. Only the 'best' captains get elite talents, so why is some no name generic skill one bridge officer going to able to successfully run Attack Pattern Omega, be able to Cheat Death, or have the charisma and gravitas to pull off the Corbamite Maneuver.

I really wish Andrew would reconsider this ruling.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghost Runner
msg tools
mb
I did actually use Chang semi-successfully in a tournament 2 weeks ago.

Picard (skill 9) was flying in formation behind Martok (skill 8).

My opponents plan was to move Martok forward 1, then Picard forward 1.

Using Chang, Picard became skill level 1, so he activated next and ran into Martok.

Thus, he lost all of his actions (and should not have been able to get re-enabled that turn, although I think I slipped and let my opponent use Martok's bonus to re-enable Picard).

It wasn't enough to win the battle, but it was kind of a nice way to throw a wrench into a too-tight formation.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nineteen 73
msg tools
Ghostrunner wrote:


Using Chang, Picard became skill level 1, so he activated next and ran into Martok.


I'm unware that Chang's ability suggests that once a Captain is disabled, their pilot skill is reduced to one. There is no such wording in the text explicitly indicating that effect will occur.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nineteen73 wrote:
Ghostrunner wrote:


Using Chang, Picard became skill level 1, so he activated next and ran into Martok.


I'm unware that Chang's ability suggests that once a Captain is disabled, their pilot skill is reduced to one. There is no such wording in the text explicitly indicating that effect will occur.


Its the same with the crit card that damages your captain. If the captain is off the bridge, someone else less experience has to take over, hence the rating of 1.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a rather interesting way of using Chang

Also, the other ship may not choose to use its action to enable their captain, they may want to go for some other action instead hoping to break away next round and enable their captain then.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nineteen 73
msg tools
Now that I have a better understanding of Chang's ability, he sounds rather enticing. It would give you an opportunity to strike first another playing decided not to re-enable their captain.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.