Subject: Game for my girlfriend who just got into boardgames? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MadButter ChickenPie
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello there BGG folks,

I've finally gotten my girlfriend into board games after playing some Catan and Talisman (first board game she played with our group was Game of Thrones. She liked it, but it was a bit too complicated for her since she had some problems with understanding the rules). I'm looking for a game that we can play mostly 1v1 but also with other people and still have fun. It doesn't have to be super simple but I don't want anything with overcomplicated rules like Arkham Horror.

+Maybe something that's not set in fantasy world (though she really liked playing Talisman).

+She loves economics so something with it as a theme or a main mechanic would be great.

+Maybe something based more on skill, not on luck would be nice? (Though that's not a MUST)

+A game like Power Grid that is still fun to play just 1v1?

Help me and I'll love you forever kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Barbie
msg tools
mbmb
Hey, That's My Fish! is a good one. It's cute and simple but strategic and plays well with 2-4.

Bohnanza is a bartering game. It plays better with more people though.

I haven't tried Takenoko yet but I've heard people who enjoy Catan really like it.

How would she feel about cooperative games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thayne Weston
United States
Nibley
Utah
flag msg tools
The die has been cast- Julius Caesar
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would give Dominion a look. Great quick game with good stratagy.

Le Havre is a great economic game.

Both are games my wife likes a lot and both work great with 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MadButter ChickenPie
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey, thanks for fast reply!

Takenoko looks really, really lovely, though I've read there is hardly any interaction between the players :S

Bohnanza seems like a fun game, ugly as hell but it seems to be something we'd play!

Hey, That's My Fish! is also something I'll consider!

About cooperative games, I think she'd like them, though she likes to compete with me (and dayum, she loves to win...)

I've been thinking about Forbidden Island, though i have no idea how much fun is it with 2 players only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Ses
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaipur and Jambo are both simple 2 player card games that revolve around trading. They are often recommended for couples.

You already have Carcassonne, which is best with 2 players and is often recommended as a gateway game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get her Love Letter. It'll be easier than writing her one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Ses
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MadButter wrote:

I've been thinking about Forbidden Island, though i have no idea how much fun is it with 2 players only.

Just as good as it is with 4. Also you can take two roles each if you want and play it as a 4 player game. It's a solid choice for a first coop. Easy rules and very pretty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Barbie
msg tools
mbmb
Forbidden Island is a great first co-op!

I like Forbidden Desert better but it is much more complicated and you die a lot.

If she likes head to head games, Hive Pocket is our favorite, followed by Blokus Trigon and Tsuro.

How does she feel about reflex games? Ghost Blitz is a big hit with our non gamer friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would take a look at Zooloretto. You do have to manage coins so there is an economic element to an extent. The set collection mechanic is neat in that it is cooperative and competitive at the same time. I think it has the interaction you are looking for and it has a pretty high fun factor particularly for new or inexperienced gamers but has just enough depth to keep gamers interested as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Heiser
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going with Suburbia and Puerto Rico
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Friesen
Canada
Hepburn
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SimonSes wrote:
Jaipur and Jambo are both simple 2 player card games that revolve around trading. They are often recommended for couples.

My wife and I play Jaipur a fair bit as well as Morels they are both easy but still based mostly on strategy. They are also both 2 player only games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Line

Make her a custom set and she will love you forever. Best 1v1 card game I've ever played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that Battle Line is the best for 1v1 at beginner level. And it's cheap, so I recommend you toss it into your order of whatever game you get that satisfies playing with more than just two. Here are some ideas for that game:

Agricola - Just get someone to teach it to you first, then it's easy to teach. It's only hard to teach when you're trying to teach it not having ever played it. Or since it also plays great as a solo game, you could play a couple games solo before you introduce it to her.

Snowdonia - Another WP game that plays great at all play counts, 1-5.

You said the magic word when you said "economic", that's my favorite type of game:

Puerto Rico - The game page says 3-5, but it's wrong. It should read 2-5, and I'm sure there's an acceptable solo variant out there somewhere. I don't consider it a "true" economic game, but it's definitely a step in that direction.

Brass: Lancashire - This one is a bit heavier, but well worth the extra effort. It's an amazing economic game. The game page says 3-4 players, but there's a 2p variant that practically been accepted as an official variant. Highly recommended if you want to jump into the slightly deeper end of economic gaming.

Suburbia - Good one that plays well at all play counts, 2-4. It has great economic planning and the way you build up your little city makes you feel like a town-building baron. It toes the line between not being too serious, but still creating a satisfying experience every game.

Navegador - This one has a very smart economy built in the market. There is very little luck. The winner is he who plans his actions best on the rondel, which not only makes planning easier to envision, but also keeps turns going fast. It plays great at all play counts, 2-5.

Keyflower - This one involves auctioning off your meeples, which are also used for worker placement when you want to send someone to perform a task around your little town (that you're building), or even to others' towns if you like what they've built more. Aside from that, it's a logistical game, where you're plotting the movement and collection of the resources you want to try to accomplish your scoring objectives--most of which are, again, very much based on logistical planning. It plays great at all play counts, 2-5.

I hope this helps. Good luck and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Boyle
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Proud Balmain Board Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Takenoko. I have just introduced it to my non-gamer spouse and it want down well.

Second the recommendation for Jaipur and also Jambo. Morels fell a little flat. All are 2p only

Of the recent games that are simple but deep and great with 2p and more you should take a look at The Palaces of Carrara. My spouse has often asked for it. And it is also an interesting games for gamers. Check out Rahdo's review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the recommendations for Jambo and Keyflower. I don't think you would regret getting those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trystan
Sweden
Hässleholm
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a suggestion for a game, but once you've got a short list of games you think you might both enjoy. Sit down with her if she's up for it and have a quick look at the rules or video reviews or whatever's best for you and decide together what to get.

Getting her involved in buying the game as much as you can/she wants will really help in getting the right one and when you do buy it it'll be something she's already a bit invested in so she'll most likely be a bit more psyched to play when you get around to tearing off the shrink wrap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking at Carcassonne already in your collection but not mentioned as having shared with her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timmo Flynno
United States
Croydon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might I suggest trying a game that has a theme that peaks her interest. My wife hated board games, called them my nerd games. She is a fan of drinking wine though, so I got her into a game of "Viticulture" and she's played it a handful of times with me and enjoyed it. We've also had fun gambling in Las Vegas, so when I asked her to try the game "Las Vegas", she tried it and really enjoyed that one too. Her love of travel has her watching me play "Ticket to Ride", I suspect she'll give that one a try soon too. Before too long, she'll be a nerd just like me, hehe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manhattan Reject
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
+1 to Jaipur and then Jambo. Both are slightly economic Jambo more so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman
Netherlands
Haarlem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Lost Cities or A Few Acres of Snow?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nunes
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also vote for Takenoko. A very cutesy game, along with being very fun and competitive.

I would also recommend Small World and Ticket to Ride. Game is really fun to play, and very addicting.

Good luck my friend. We are the lucky ones that have our significant others playing with us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikel Blaauw
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
OH SNAP!
mbmbmbmbmb
onibaku06 wrote:
I would also vote for Takenoko. A very cutesy game, along with being very fun and competitive.

I would also recommend Small World and Ticket to Ride. Game is really fun to play, and very addicting.

Good luck my friend. We are the lucky ones that have our significant others playing with us.

Both of these have been a hit.

Also we play Stone Age quiet often and my wife really enjoys "building her tribe family"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MadButter ChickenPie
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A big THANK YOU to every single one of You for giving me a huge list to choose from! We're definitely going to use it together to choose a next new game for us.

I've been also having a chat with people that work in my local BG shop and some of the mentioned titles were unfortunately unavailable.
In the end I've decided to pick Suburbia and we're going to play it tomorrow (it's a gift and she has no idea I've picked it up).
I've watched some gameplay videos on Youtube and I'm super hyped!

Keep Your fingers crossed that she's gonna like it! I'll give You guys our opinion on Saturday so stay tuned.

Once again, thank You! BGG has the friendliest community on the internet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MadButter wrote:
+A game like Power Grid that is still fun to play just 1v1?

I'm a little late for the current round of game selection, but I just thought I'd mention Power Grid can be really fun (and really competitive) two players if you get the Robots expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Daniel
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Suburbia is a great choice, that's what I was going to recommend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.