Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking at the Coalition Surge special activity again (don't have my playbook accessible for now, sorry if it is answered there), and I had a question on the "add resources" optional die roll the Coalition can choose to take.

The applicable rule text from the Rule book, section 4.2.1, is as follows:

Quote:
Then, if desired, roll a die and distribute that number (fully) among Aid and Warlord Resources.

I am confused about the ambiguity in the use of the word "and" (is it ambiguous ordering, or is it specifically in that order?), and the use of the word "fully" (does that mean it must go all toward one or the other, or does that mean you have to add a grand total of what you roll and no more or less)?

Let's assume the Coalition chooses to roll a die. A couple of questions:

(1) Does the Coalition have to choose who benefits from the die roll prior to rolling?
(2) Let's assume, for sake of example, the Coalition rolls a 5. Can the Coalition choose to split resources (for example, declaring the Warlords get 3 resources and the Government gets 2 aid), or must it go all toward one or the other?

Thanks,

Sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It's (2).
Coalition can split the 5 (or whatever was rolled) between Government and Warlords as he likes, including to just one of them, but all 5 (or whatever was rolled) Resources must be allocated.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from diplomatic reasons, is there any purpose in giving the Warlords resources? Unless it is early in the game, it doesn't seem like they hurt for resources for very long - kind of like the other Green guys in the other COIN games...

And just another quick question - from a design perspective, is there anything else to this mechanic other than an obvious diverting of resources to a potential ally in the Warlords? The Aid boost I get, because if you are adding a bunch of soldiers, you may as well throw some money in to help the cause.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Kassel
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
For the Coalition to give resources to the Warlords is rather a desperation measure. It might sometimes be necessary to enlist their help through Suborn to stop either Government or Taliban from winning. Or alternatively it might be a form of persuasion that the Government should take a wider view rather than concentrating narrowly on building patronage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Bouffard
Canada
Chambly
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule book clarifications
From the Coalition Surge procedures?

"Then, if desired, roll a die and distribute that number (fully) among Aid and Warlord Resources."

Could you tell me why the words "if desired" are used in this statement?
Is the roll optional?

Also from the COIN Train Operations

"The Coalition may only select a Province if it has Coalition pieces and
only spends 3 Resources if it places cubes."

Does the words "it places cubes" means it's own coalition cubes or fov Gvt cubes also?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the very same question, actually. I'm glad you asked it.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bouf7972 wrote:

"Then, if desired, roll a die and distribute that number (fully) among Aid and Warlord Resources."

Is the roll optional?

Does the words "it places cubes" means it's own coalition cubes or fov Gvt cubes also?

The Aid roll is at the Coalition player's option. He may not want to roll if giving Aid to the Government at that time would just let them siphon it off into Patronage.

The Coalition doesn't place it's own cubes with a Train operation, it need Surge for that. A Coalition Train op costs 3 resources if you place any Government cubes. You can choose not to do so and just use the last part of the op, spending resources for Civic Actions, or removing 3 Patronage and adding it to resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thegreat2 wrote:
Aside from diplomatic reasons, is there any purpose in giving the Warlords resources? Unless it is early in the game, it doesn't seem like they hurt for resources for very long - kind of like the other Green guys in the other COIN games...

And just another quick question - from a design perspective, is there anything else to this mechanic other than an obvious diverting of resources to a potential ally in the Warlords? The Aid boost I get, because if you are adding a bunch of soldiers, you may as well throw some money in to help the cause.

The Coalition often enlisted local warlords' forces to help security.

We provided the ability in the game of the Coalition to use Surge to give the Warlords Resources because playtesters wanted that help to Coalition negotiation possibilities (needed, they thought, because Coalition has no Resources of its own to transfer). Coalition already has a lot to offer the Government. Coalition giving Resources to Warlords makes sense historically. But allowing them to, in effect, divert Aid to the Taliban was too much for me to swallow, so we did not go there.

Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bouf7972 wrote:

Is the roll optional?

Yes. The Coalition may want to move its forces in or out but not give anyone anything. It may do so with Surge.

Quote:

Coalition Train never places Coalition cubes, only Govt cubes, so it means Govt cubes. (Coalition gets its own cubes from Available to the map via Surge.). In effect, Coalition is only spending Govt Resources if it is doing something with Govt Forces.

Regards! Volko

[edit: Thanks Conor! Missed your post before typing mine.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all!

I can see situations where the Coalition may not want to help the Government, but may want to help the Warlords so they are willing to "overlook" certain moves on the board (or move to other regions). The Warlords are resource-hungry (with 40+ required for victory), and therefore seem like they would be willing to accept such a deal. Granted I think it is going to be less common than Government or no die roll, but it does seem like a decent option to have available...particularly if the Government is close to victory (since the Warlords can directly counter COIN Control. It could also possibly help against the Taliban, since it could negate Taliban control, making it harder for them to keep Opposition (indirectly).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.