mav man
msg tools
I am now working on the Villain Groups that will be attached to many of these Masterminds. I am also expanding some of the OG Villain groups by adding new cards meant to replace the copies in the OG sets.

AND I am of course always interest in feedback so please let me know what you think.

I will say one little caveat, most of these updates and new masterminds are meant to be harder but not unbeatable or broken, so please keep that in mind when giving them a look over. Card art and Name advice is welcome as well

VULCAN
Spoiler (click to reveal)

ULTRON

THANOS

SERPENT, GOD OF FEAR

SEBASTIAN SHAW

THE RED SKULL

NORMAN OSBORN

MALEKITH

LOKI

MAGNETO

KING HYPERION

KANG, THE CONQUEROR

HIGH EVOLUTIONARY

DR. DOOM

COUNT NEFARIA

BARON ZEMO

ARCHANGEL

ANNIHILUS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jurn
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Re: 14 New Masterminds and revamped original 4 Masterminds. (Tactics incoming later)
Wauw, great work, I see a lot of those I would like to try out! Interested in what you did with the villain groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve gallagher
msg tools
Re: 14 New Masterminds and revamped original 4 Masterminds. (Tactics incoming later)
They seem cool but still need work. Thanos is missing the work "in" after master strike. Dr Doom should change Heros to Hero.. Malekith.. Needs reworded.. Doesn't sound right at all... Overall good but wording needs fixed and the alignment needs fixed on some. Some are hard to read because the wording is not in the "white space".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
slyfox_00 wrote:
They seem cool but still need work. Thanos is missing the work "in" after master strike. Dr Doom should change Heros to Hero.. Malekith.. Needs reworded.. Doesn't sound right at all... Overall good but wording needs fixed and the alignment needs fixed on some. Some are hard to read because the wording is not in the "white space".

Just about everyone's homemades have wording issues, but the ideas here are better than most. I'll try to leave specific thoughts later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mav man
msg tools
slyfox_00 wrote:

I know I need to go back and edit all the wording, I will do that before I post up all the Tactics. As for how hard they are to read I am using someone elses (I forget whos) custom card maker because I am not very photoshop savvy I have been unable to make these cards myself. I will test out the maker though and see if I can line the wording up better

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Skull: Like it.

Loki: The number of twists used for each Scheme seems to be chosen pretty carefully. Adding another *5* seems just too brutal. I love the Global effect, though. Maybe just make that the Master Strike effect?

Magneto: Like the Global effect.

Doom: Wasn't crazy about it until I realized the synergy between the Global effect and the Master Strike. Nice.

Thanos: Something seems off here. The second part of his Master Strike effect would almost never occur, since you usually see the Master Strike at the beginning of a turn. And there's no "natural" way to keep track of his attack (e.g. stacking twists next to him). Here's how I'd change it:
Global Effect: Thanos gets +1 Attack for each non-grey Hero KO'd by a Master Strike.
Master Strike: In turn, each player reveals his hand and KO's a number of their non-grey Heroes equal to the number of Master Strikes in the KO'd pile. If unable, a player KO's each of their Heroes and plays the top card of the Villain deck.

Serpent: Cool. Reverse the order of the sentences on the Master Strike.

Shaw: Okay. It would be neat if he had an Apocalypse-style "shuffle back in" tactic so he could get really huge, but again, I don't know how you'd keep track. Maybe change the Global effect to: "Stack a Wound next to Sebastian Shaw whenever he is defeated. Sebastian Shaw gets +1 Attack for each Wound in this stack."

Osborn: Love it. But should the Attack of the villainous Heroes be cost +2, like in the Secret Invasion?

Malekith: Honestly, I'm not sure what this one is supposed to do.

Hyperion: Seems decent.

Ultron: Love it.

Kang: Nasty. I'm not sure how I feel about the Global Effect. Would be interesting to see how players would try to get around that in a game situation.

Evolutionary: LOVE IT

Vulcan: Kind of boring? The Global and Master Strike effects are kind of at odds with each other.

Zemo: Seems like it's missing something. What's the endgame for KOing all those cards from the HQ? Doesn't affect too much unless he's aiming to achieve a number of KO'd heroes or an empty Hero deck.

Nefaria: Okay.

Annihilus: Love it. Combine with Detonate the Helicarrier for maximum grief!

Archangel: Same issue as Zemo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner DG
United States
California
flag msg tools
Cool Pics - Some really cool ideas cool ...

Couple of things to point out:

Thanos:
Getting extra power from scheme twists is going to lead to 'brutal' power scores - With a typical of 8 twists, and some villains having the ability to create twists, you can end up with +18 (and more) mastermind. That's pretty tough to beat.
So I'd switch this, and say the power bonus comes from Master Strikes
Idea: Each tactic triggers a master strike (so you will end up with quite a few in the end too)
Master strike: I'd remove the scheme twist rule.

Norman Osborn:
The idea of the Master Strike is good, but with a game with 4 or 5 players, you are going to 'flush' a BUNCH of villains out and force them to escape. And that's going to create a too disruptive game effect....
So I would either limit the number of heroes that are forced into the city (and put the rest on top of the Villain deck, or make players shuffle them in the deck or something)
Idea:
Each player shuffles a hero from HQ in the Villain deck. Play the top 2 cards from the Villain deck

Kang:
This is another one that is going to be disruptive, but this time for solo players (and even 2 player games)
With a villain set of 8, and 10 henchmen, you end up with a power 26 mastermind: Not realistic... And with more players, you can have multiple henchmen sets, which can drive up the power here to just 'unbeatable'
So options for this one:
- Keep as is, but have some kind of power bonus for hero's (Think: Cosmic Threat - Like Cosmic Threat 'Instinct', which would kind-of match the Kang storyline)
- Change it to 'unique villains' - Which means a henchmen is only 1, and for the standard villain sets, you only get to 4 - That's still a power 13 mastermind for a solo game...
- Change it to 'one per villain set' - Not as powerful, but can scale up, based on the number of players, and the different sets of villains added to the game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mav man
msg tools
DiggetyDog46 wrote:
Red Skull: Like it.

Loki: The number of twists used for each Scheme seems to be chosen pretty carefully. Adding another *5* seems just too brutal. I love the Global effect, though. Maybe just make that the Master Strike effect?

Magneto: Like the Global effect.

Doom: Wasn't crazy about it until I realized the synergy between the Global effect and the Master Strike. Nice.

Thanos: Something seems off here. The second part of his Master Strike effect would almost never occur, since you usually see the Master Strike at the beginning of a turn. And there's no "natural" way to keep track of his attack (e.g. stacking twists next to him). Here's how I'd change it:
Global Effect: Thanos gets +1 Attack for each non-grey Hero KO'd by a Master Strike.
Master Strike: In turn, each player reveals his hand and KO's a number of their non-grey Heroes equal to the number of Master Strikes in the KO'd pile. If unable, a player KO's each of their Heroes and plays the top card of the Villain deck.

Serpent: Cool. Reverse the order of the sentences on the Master Strike.

Shaw: Okay. It would be neat if he had an Apocalypse-style "shuffle back in" tactic so he could get really huge, but again, I don't know how you'd keep track. Maybe change the Global effect to: "Stack a Wound next to Sebastian Shaw whenever he is defeated. Sebastian Shaw gets +1 Attack for each Wound in this stack."

Osborn: Love it. But should the Attack of the villainous Heroes be cost +2, like in the Secret Invasion?

Malekith: Honestly, I'm not sure what this one is supposed to do.

Hyperion: Seems decent.

Ultron: Love it.

Kang: Nasty. I'm not sure how I feel about the Global Effect. Would be interesting to see how players would try to get around that in a game situation.

Evolutionary: LOVE IT

Vulcan: Kind of boring? The Global and Master Strike effects are kind of at odds with each other.

Zemo: Seems like it's missing something. What's the endgame for KOing all those cards from the HQ? Doesn't affect too much unless he's aiming to achieve a number of KO'd heroes or an empty Hero deck.

Nefaria: Okay.

Annihilus: Love it. Combine with Detonate the Helicarrier for maximum grief!

Archangel: Same issue as Zemo.

Loki
Fair enough on the adding another 5 twist. Adding that many to something like the Cosmic Cube could end the game super early. I think of him as a schemer though, perhaps his current Global becomes a Master Strike and his new Global is whenever a Scheme Twist is played play another card from the Villain Deck. Ya??

Thanos
We had a game the other night where we kept getting our hands crushed before our turns (Apocalypse) and thus the thought of not having a full hand to KO from came to mind, but I agree this would rarely show up with this Mastermind. This may make his attack to high as well if it is based on each player and you play a large person game. Could stack twist next to him but some schemes require that as well. We just use counters for things like this but I understand not everyone uses that kind of stuff.

Serpent
Good point

Shaw
I like that idea a lot actually. Perhaps allowing player to draw cards equal to the number of Wounds he has +1 to make up for not getting to keep the tactic? Kind of like the rescue bystander ones

Osborn
I originally had the attack at +2 but thought that might be to hard.

Malekith
It is missing some words but basically it just helps villains escape faster as they all move forward as if a new villain came into the city

Kang
In order to avoid how hard this could be in solo or smaller group play his bonus could change to +Fight equal to the highest victory point total villain in your victory pile

Vulcan
I was having trouble with his master strike. He is a energy absorber so I was unsure what I wanted to do with that concept. I will re evaluate

Zemo
I could add his Win Condition is if the Hero deck is empty, so instead of a draw then you get a Lose

Archangel
Just thinking about Death but again I could add a win condition of a empty Hero deck. Also I was thinking of changing this down from random to a Hero you select +1 or 2. That way you can choose to KO Shield Heroes but do not accidentally KO a 9 Cost Iron Fist (which would be super lame)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mav man
msg tools
wgruyter wrote:
Cool Pics - Some really cool ideas cool ...

Couple of things to point out:

Thanos:
Getting extra power from scheme twists is going to lead to 'brutal' power scores - With a typical of 8 twists, and some villains having the ability to create twists, you can end up with +18 (and more) mastermind. That's pretty tough to beat.
So I'd switch this, and say the power bonus comes from Master Strikes
Idea: Each tactic triggers a master strike (so you will end up with quite a few in the end too)
Master strike: I'd remove the scheme twist rule.

Norman Osborn:
The idea of the Master Strike is good, but with a game with 4 or 5 players, you are going to 'flush' a BUNCH of villains out and force them to escape. And that's going to create a too disruptive game effect....
So I would either limit the number of heroes that are forced into the city (and put the rest on top of the Villain deck, or make players shuffle them in the deck or something)
Idea:
Each player shuffles a hero from HQ in the Villain deck. Play the top 2 cards from the Villain deck

Kang:
This is another one that is going to be disruptive, but this time for solo players (and even 2 player games)
With a villain set of 8, and 10 henchmen, you end up with a power 26 mastermind: Not realistic... And with more players, you can have multiple henchmen sets, which can drive up the power here to just 'unbeatable'
So options for this one:
- Keep as is, but have some kind of power bonus for hero's (Think: Cosmic Threat - Like Cosmic Threat 'Instinct', which would kind-of match the Kang storyline)
- Change it to 'unique villains' - Which means a henchmen is only 1, and for the standard villain sets, you only get to 4 - That's still a power 13 mastermind for a solo game...
- Change it to 'one per villain set' - Not as powerful, but can scale up, based on the number of players, and the different sets of villains added to the game...

Thanos
I did want Thanos to be a crazy powerful Villain but maybe 18 is to high. Perhaps 8+ instead? I think 16 (on average) is super reasonable and achievable (at least it seems to be in our 2 or 3 player games) I did not want his bonus from Master Strikes because I did not want to copy Stryfes ability. I agree about removing the scheme twist rule from the Master Strike though.

Norman Osborn
Fair enough on the to many players. We rarely play with more than 2 or 3 so I did not think of it in that way. Since the Heroes do not have Escape effects (other than standard KO a 6 or less hero from the HQ) I do not think this is a complete deal breaker on difficulty but I can see your point, though I think like Apocalypse some people just become harder the more and more players you add.

Kang
I was thinking about changing this to the most powerful defeated Villain in your Victory Pile. I think Villains cap at 5 or 6 for the stronger ones. Also with the unique villain angle we play with unique villain groups of 8 not 4 doubles as the standard game is made, so the same problem would almost arise anyways. Perhaps Henchmen do not add to this number at all, that could help some as well if I do not change it to my other idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner DG
United States
California
flag msg tools
maverick0023 wrote:

Thanos
I did want Thanos to be a crazy powerful Villain but maybe 18 is to high. Perhaps 8+ instead? I think 16 (on average) is super reasonable and achievable (at least it seems to be in our 2 or 3 player games) I did not want his bonus from Master Strikes because I did not want to copy Stryfes ability. I agree about removing the scheme twist rule from the Master Strike though.

Idea: How about this:
- Stack Scheme Twist cards next to Thanos. Thanos is +1 for each stacked card. You end up with a max of 8+8, which is 16. Still pretty high...
- And do something 'nasty' with extra scheme twists in the tactic cards (but since they are NOT extra cards to stack next to the mastermind, they wont beef up the power)

maverick0023 wrote:

Norman Osborn
Fair enough on the to many players. We rarely play with more than 2 or 3 so I did not think of it in that way. Since the Heroes do not have Escape effects (other than standard KO a 6 or less hero from the HQ) I do not think this is a complete deal breaker on difficulty but I can see your point, though I think like Apocalypse some people just become harder the more and more players you add.

Idea (Just occurred to me after posting the Aldrich mastermind):
- Each player still plays one hero from HQ
- But only unique heroes take up a space in the city, and dupes of the same hero just 'stack' in the same city space (You then have to figure out then what that 'stacked' hero means: Extra Power? Nastier attack?)
- That way, it becomes more of a 'strategy' question of each player to allow Villains to get flushed out of the city or not...

maverick0023 wrote:

Kang
I was thinking about changing this to the most powerful defeated Villain in your Victory Pile. I think Villains cap at 5 or 6 for the stronger ones. Also with the unique villain angle we play with unique villain groups of 8 not 4 doubles as the standard game is made, so the same problem would almost arise anyways. Perhaps Henchmen do not add to this number at all, that could help some as well if I do not change it to my other idea

- Not allowing henchmen to count will help :-) - Takes 10 power away already
- Capping it is another way
Dont know of a 'cleverer' way for this just yet... :-/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Suetens
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also don't forget to substitute text with symbols. They are all still in text on your cards.

Fight, cost, Affiliations, ability types...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mav man
msg tools
i just figured out (and by that i mean looked for 30 seconds to see how) symbols instead.

i will certainly fix this as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mav man
msg tools
I added the first draft of all of the Tactics finally as well as tweaks to some of the Masterminds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Wickstrom
msg tools
mb
This may be a dumb question. How do we print this off? Are they in a file somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Durden
msg tools
mbmbmb
Anyone else having trouble seeing these

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Suetens
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For some reason, he put them in 'spoiler' tags, don't know why... Try clicking the fields.

Honestly, I'm a bit disappointed by some of the chosen artwork and the sloppy style of finishing the cards. The text pops out of the white field from time to time, the tokens look of pitiful quality,...

Even though some of these rules might be good, I'm not going to try to figure it out since I will never print these out. No point in printing something out you're never going to put on the table because you can not stand the poor card quality...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Wickstrom
msg tools
mb
SO I just finished printing and sleeving all these masterminds. Problem is, most of the villain groups they always lead do not exist in custom cards. Does anyone have interested in creating them?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Char Rizard

New York
msg tools
i was going to point out the same thing about the Villain groups.

However you have some GREAT and creative mastermind ideas, i can't wait to try out Magneto and Dr. Doom, especially. I plan on making my own Norman Osborn card (no offense, but i have some ideas now with the multiple spiderfriend cards) but great job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Wickstrom
msg tools
mb
swordsdance wrote:
i was going to point out the same thing about the Villain groups.

However you have some GREAT and creative mastermind ideas, i can't wait to try out Magneto and Dr. Doom, especially. I plan on making my own Norman Osborn card (no offense, but i have some ideas now with the multiple spiderfriend cards) but great job!

You should make them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's lack of attention to text and placing of text but since I have no GIMP skills of my own, I can't criticize much.

Overall, these masterminds are too samey in their strikes and tactics. Far too many:

- shuffle tactic back
- bring villain back to board
- this tactic is a master strike
- color hoses
- random cards get KO'd
- mastermind's power reaches sky high numbers
- unfair immediate effects that could end the game like the Serpent's massive automatic escape of villains with bystanders (in a Midtown Robbery Bank, that would be an automatic loss and all you did was fight the Mastermind).

They are too challenging in the sense that you can't do random setups of heroes as you'd probably need to handpick them to fight these guys. Most of the time, they sound more of a hassle to have in a game that providing a good (not crazy) challenge level and being fun.

Now, if you are a hardcore, I-wanna-find-out-how-to-beat-this-crazy-mother, then that's fine, but if you are more casual friendly like most Legendary players, then these are too annoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Horace Darksaber
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shame you didnt include the villians/henchmen listed under Always Leads.. these would be printed out on my table tomorrow if so!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I like the beefing up of the Basic Set Masterminds 2.0, and about half the other Masterminds interest me, but I have one idea and one criticism.

1) Don't forget about beneficial effects for beating up a Mastermind. Almost all the effects I saw were ways to screw with your opponents. It could just be me, but I prefer the benefit you effects to screwing your opponents effects best exemplified by the official game's Apocalypse.

2) There's a pretty big amount of covered or missing text and spelling or grammar issues on the cards. I could easily just be too uptight about that kind of thing, but a few others noted that as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Maverick, if you're still around (and you might not, as I got to this party over a year and a half after this was made), I found a pretty huge mistake. It's my own fault for not reading the cards before saving them as image files.

Loki is invincible. Two Tactics (I want to say Vanishing Illusions and Erased from Book of Hel) are shuffled back into the Tactics pile if they're not the last Tactic, and obviously both cannot be the last one.

His Strike is very much in keeping with what he does and who he is, and you should get praise for that alone, but this is a huge mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.