Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sylvester Stachovicz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if there's another thread on this matter, nonetheless here's what I have to say:

Why there are no archived videos to watch after hours on daily basis? If you are not going to fix this ASAP, it's absurd. If you publish all demoes in a week or so, you'll kill the magic moment. Essen is NOW. Magic is NOW. It's like Christmass without presents. It's like "You'll get something in a week, be patient".

I don't care for patience, because our hobby is to feel like a kid, to have fun. And Spiel is the most important week in this business, at least for euro-gamers. Give us a Santa Claus right now!

After all, BGG was meant for gamers, not publishers. There is thin line between live coverage and video advertising. The former is for geeks, the latter for publishers. So who's the target?

Tell me you'll fix this.

Sorry for emotional approach, but I need some magic right now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
I "think" you're joking?

Putting videos together and publishing them is a pretty hefty task. The fact that there is any live stuff at all is a great thing that BGG does. Having them post the archives would require a dedicated person working 24 hours a day, especially with the amount of output. I'm pretty sure we can wait a week.

But then again, I think you're joking. Right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvester Stachovicz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom, I just wanna the same kind of video archiving as was a year ago. Nothing more. I know it's hard work, but that was doable before, so what's changed? Not the video coverage philosophy, I hope...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Polewka
Poland
Gliwice
slaskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think he's joking - afair last year live coverage was almost instantly available for viewing, on the same day for sure. I doubt it was edited at all and for me it didn't matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Swoboda
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe not a disaster, but disappointment...
how about full day coverage if divided presentations are too much trouble right now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah: last year almost all the interviews were available later the same day as recording. I'm not doubting at all Tom's statement that doing such a thing requires a heck of a lot of effort; but why was this "heck of a lot of effort" doable last year, but not this year? Has it something to do with the use of twitch as opposed to ustream (which I think was used last year)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mellby
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree this is a major disappointment.
Last your I could backup and see something I missed.
I could review those games at night.
Furthermore on ustream I could watch the videos, in the
background, from work. Twitch is closed off.

So the video feed is, for me, almost useless this year.

This is really a disappointment.
John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Clark
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a teacher - so I can't get to Essen till Saturday. I'd like to watch the video clips to help me work out what games I'll be buying on Saturday, but I can't interrupt my lessons to watch the live stream (well, I -could-... :whistle: but it's not a good idea), so I was hoping to see the clips tonight to inform my choices for this weekend...

So I'd also like to say that having them online now would be useful, and waiting a few days would be, for me, completely pointless as well. For others not going to the fair, I see there's less of an issue with it, but at least for me, it's not as good as it was last year...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree this is a step backwards. I miss the almost-instant posting of finished demos so I could watch them when the live feed was finished.

On top of that, twitch tv is aptly named on my Mac Air, as the movements are a constant twitching, glitching, jerking annoyance. I watch on my iPad but it doesn't show the chat dialogue.

I also miss having the name of the game displayed somewhere so if I miss the intro, I can still find out the name of the game being demoed.

Disappointing for someone spoiled by past years' standards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Tierney
United States
Newton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Twitch on the iPad, I just swiped in from the Right edge of the screen and the chat window appeared.

I too am bummed there won't be an unedited archive of the day available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chung Chit Hang
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my biggest disappointment is I couldn't hear a thing at what the designers are saying. They need a microphone!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinpdx wrote:
For Twitch on the iPad, I just swiped in from the Right edge of the screen and the chat window appeared.

The chat window is there but the conversation won't load. Maybe, unlike ustream, you have to sign in for the conversation to show, but I don't want to register at another site that I don't use regularly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Patriss
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope Joel made enough money in his Kickstarter to get to Essen next year. We KNOW he will have 50 videos up in no time flat like at Gen Con this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David van Damme
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
Disaster is a big word. But it is a shame that when you are not able to watch the live broadcasts, because you are walking around at Spiel for instance , you are basically unable to watch the demo's and presentations, and thus not able to appreciate the hard work which has gone into making these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
West
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have to agree this is disappointing, but rather expected this as it looks like the same arrangements as used at gencon. At least with ustream in past years the feed was archived and available for viewing pretty quickly after the live stream, even if it was unedited.

However appreciate the efforts that is put into this, and do look forward to watching the edited content whenever it arrives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I want a pony, and I want it now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Tierney
United States
Newton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sodaklady wrote:
kevinpdx wrote:

The chat window is there but the conversation won't load. Maybe, unlike ustream, you have to sign in for the conversation to show, but I don't want to register at another site that I don't use regularly.

This morning was the first time I have used Twitch. I downloaded the Twitch app and didn't register anything. I just started trying to resize the video and somehow made the chat window appear. I could see all the messages coming through, but didn't try to participate.

I was seeing the same choppy video as you when I watched from my mac. Looked great on iOS though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

But you gave us a pony last year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IF YOU DO NOT DO EXACTLY AS I DESIRE IMMEDIATELY YOU ARE A FAILURE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Tierney
United States
Newton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

While I'll agree that the OP's use of the word "Disaster" is a little extreme, I don't find your comment in any way helpful or constructive. Normally I would ignore it but since you have an Admin icon I'll take the time to follow up.

I really enjoyed the coverage last year, as well as the Gencon coverage this year. In both cases, I enjoyed it because I watched the unedited live feeds. There is no way I will take the time to visit every game page and watch the videos three weeks from now. I will watch the ones that got the most buzz, but I'll probably miss at least 3 or 4 that may be great games for my family.

Plus, the stuff that happens between the "official" presentations is sometimes the most entertaining. I had about an hour this morning where I was able to see the live feed, and one part I enjoyed was the hosts opening Hanabi Deluxe Edition while waiting for the next demo to arrive. I doubt that will survive the editing room when the videos are archived.

Bottom line is if I could "dvr" the live feed, I would. It is a shame if Twitch did not offer this service if last year's provider did. If it was all done by hand for the other shows and the awesome BGG crew just doesn't have the manpower this time, I understand. Maybe we have been spoiled in the past, but it is still a valid response to be a little disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinpdx wrote:
sodaklady wrote:
kevinpdx wrote:

This morning was the first time I have used Twitch. I downloaded the Twitch app and didn't register anything. I just started trying to resize the video and somehow made the chat window appear. I could see all the messages coming through, but didn't try to participate.

I was seeing the same choppy video as you when I watched from my mac. Looked great on iOS though...

Ah. You still went one step further than I since I didn't download the app, just followed the link here to their site.

Thanks for the info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvester Stachovicz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer:

headline is overdramatic as I wanted it to be.

tags: kid, Christmas, no presents, Santa Claus.

Please, read between the lines.

I'm not a kid. I have a kid.

I know BGG crew can do whatever they want to. It's just my statement vs. their actions. I know I'm not gonna win this duel but I wanna loose trying.

btw: they could kickstart additional crew member easily. Just a thought...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Wagner
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Glowacki
Poland
Poznan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Your comment was ironic, funny and hit the spot (probably), BUT...
ADMIN should be above this. Getting into a face-off is a last thing an admin is expected to do. And still nothing is explained away.

You are like a doctor, who tries to treat a symptoms, instead of a causes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If we complain this year there is high probability they will change it next year.
I don't complain as I do have time to watch it all live, but I do understand those who was counting on it, as it was a great tool to pick games you would like to buy during the weekend.
Unless BGG admins are doing it only for Americans...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.