Hide
7 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Star Trek: Fleet Captains for extra ships.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
eris lulz
msg tools
Having just got started in attack wing and picked up one of everything up to this point, I did want to expand my options, get in some crazy big games with friends and see if there were any better sculpts out there. The Fleet Captains sets seem to have been a good solution for this. You get 12 Fed and 12 Klingon ships with the main starter and another dozen Rom ships with the Romulan expansion. Which turns out to be decent value for your $. They also seem to be better models imo, I'll post some comparison pics this weekend if anyone's interested.

You do then have the challenge of painting and re-basing them to be suitable for use in attack wing, but this doesn't seem like it's that big a job. Cards can be duplicated pretty easily, the only issue i guess is movement dials, tho I did like someone's idea of just printing off the movement cards, trimming them down, coating them in plastic, then using a dry wipe marker to indicate the maneuver each turn.

Anyone else had any experiences retasking Fleet Captains for Attack Wing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Dice
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I did when I first got into the game. I have some old MicroMachines and Tactics models.

Very quickly I realised there's a lot more to a ship than a model. You need a proper base, firing ark marker, captain icons, cards, tokens and so on. It fully justifies buying the expansion and not trying to save money by cutting corners. The amount of time it takes to replicate decent props costs more than the hard cash for buying a proper ship.

Also, if you want to attend OP events, you can't use proxies. Considering how good the events are (FREE STUFF), I'm happy to both support the game I want to see grow, and stick to official components.

That said, I intend to replace a few models with alternatives (such as the Constitution), but using the rest of the components for that ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cromer

Florida
msg tools
mb
I have some of my old tactics models which I have redone for attack wing and work quite well for recreational games. I simply cut off the tactics stand sanded the nub and then drilled a hole. I cut one of the little clear stand connectors in half so I would have the female end and then glued it in. You can't even tell the difference between the tactics one and the real one. Since it now works on a normal attack wing base I just took old cardstock that I had left over after punching out the tokens and such, found a piece big enough and cut it to the size of the base plate. After that all I had to do was photocopy the original for firing arcs and such and glue the copy on. Aside from a slight difference in color it works exactly the same. You could make movement dials this way as well but I much prefer the above idea using the sleeved cards and a dry erase marker. Then all you need is the extra generic card that came with the original and you are ready to go!

Again not for use in tourneys but fun for home games if you want to expand your fleet a little (especially if you hate tactics as much as I do. Attack wing is such a better game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eris lulz
msg tools
Well exactly.. I worked it out as if you pick up the two fleet captains boxes then you're looking at each ship being about 1/4 of the cost of their Attack Wing retail counterpart. Even if you add in the cost of buying a suitable stand and dial, then you're still at about half the cost of retail. For me I'm really looking forward to getting them sorted and playing some games with some serious fleets. 20+ ships on each side, 1-2000 points on the table and some real attack wings flanking or drawing fire etc.

In terms of supporting the game, I've picked up at least 1 of everything they're released so far and will likely continue to do so, so I feel relatively comfortable with cutting a few corners (fleet captains is made by the same guys) in order to increase the fun for me and my friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
traitor armor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if you're looking into expanding your fleet with another line (for no tournament play, of course) that Tactics would probably where you'd get better results.

Unless you already have Fleet Captains in hand.

Tactics ships can be picked up fairly cheaply from sites that sell singles or picking up 'lots' of ships on evil-bay.

If you're already going to be making extra maneuver dials or picking up some from a 3rd party company and printing up some cards and you are thinking that will work for you I'd be looking at Tactics......which also gives you access to more than just the Klingons, Federation and Romulans.

I think someone was also working on a cover of some sort to go on Fleet Captains/Tactics dial so they'd be usable for Attack Wing but I'm not sure where that is the development phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eris lulz
msg tools
Fleet Captains and Tactics are basically the same ships, just not painted. Tho my Fleet Captains Defiant does seem to have a fair bit more detail that the Attack Wing version which was a surprise.

The problem with both is that they come on those heroclix stands, which really do need to be replaced. You can mark firing arcs on them easily enough, but they're circular so are about as useless as they could be for movement purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eristicle wrote:
Fleet Captains and Tactics are basically the same ships, just not painted. Tho my Fleet Captains Defiant does seem to have a fair bit more detail that the Attack Wing version which was a surprise.

The problem with both is that they come on those heroclix stands, which really do need to be replaced. You can mark firing arcs on them easily enough, but they're circular so are about as useless as they could be for movement purposes.

Tactics had two models for several ships. A more detailed normal one and a less detailed "cloaked" version. It appears that they used the less detailed ones for some reason to make the ships for Attack Wing. A good example is the D7 in AW is based off the cloaked D7 from Tactics which had the tower turned the wrong direction as opposed to the higher detailed model which had it the right way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.