Subject: Caylus - has all the hype died? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Dawson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am curious if all the hype over Caylus has died? I haven't seen many strategy posts lately. I made a post recently and got a lukewarm response, at best. Is everyone burnt out, or have they just moved onto the next game? I find it hard to even get a game of Caylus on Brettspielwelt.de anymore. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
People have been tossing around the word "hype" with Caylus before it was even released and there simply wasn't any hype by definition. Hype is defined as:

1. "Excessive publicity and the ensuing commotion."

2."Exaggerated or extravagant claims made especially in advertising or promotional material."

There was very little, if any, mainstream promotion of Caylus by Ystari (I never saw any ads ) and everythiong that I heard about the game before and after it's publication was word of mouth by people who had actually played it. It's also ranked #2 on this site. I think it's safe to say there was never any hype and Caylus has stayed put even though there were many screaming about how it was a flash in the pan and it would quickly plunge in ratings. Let's face it. It's a very good game and it would be where it is today, many months after its release, if it wasn't a good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ward Batty
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
I think the fact that the game has been generally unavailable here in North America has dampened the conversation. Those of us lucky enough to have purchased it had their say, and others haven't been able to get a copy. I believe the next batch is due in May. Of course there will be the Nurenberg batch of games starting to come in at that time as well. They absolutely missed an opportunity not having the game available for most of the winter. That said, of the Essen games, I think that Caylus, Hacienda and maybe Elasund are the three games that have the potential to be evergreens, games that retailers continually stock and sell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Jones
Wales
Newport
Wales
flag msg tools
I expect many gamers are/were in the situation I was in, where I was very interested in giving it a try but needed to wait for the reprint to get hold of a copy.

I picked up my copy two days ago, and probably won't get a chance to play it now for another week or two (argh...) before I can make any comments about it.
There may be a 'second wave' of Caylus players in the pipeline?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Ward has hit the nail on the head. If most of us can not get a copy, or even play a copy, we can't really say much. At BGG.Con, I felt that the game was being pushed a bit heavily by the demo team. I was willing to give it a try, but the timing just did not happen. On the other hand, I never felt like the demo push or the buzz - as others have termed it was hype. I'm very sensitive to hype and tend to react rather negatively to it (just ask my wife about overly-hyped films and my aversion to watching them).

I missed out on the initial distribution of the game in the US, but was lucky enough to pick up one of the few second edition copies that slipped out two weeks ago, and, after a couple of plays, I have to say that I am very happy with the purchase. I have only played it two player and that is one of the things that I am happiest about - it plays well with two. I am reserving my rating until I have a chance to play it with more, though.

Advance assessment - the game is worthy of the praise being given to it. It is direly in need of some player aids, but the ones that you can find here on BGG serve pretty well in the absence of ones in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dawson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ixnay66 wrote:
It's also ranked #2 on this site. I think it's safe to say there was never any hype and Caylus has stayed put even though there were many screaming about how it was a flash in the pan and it would quickly plunge in ratings. Let's face it. It's a very good game and it would be where it is today, many months after its release, if it wasn't a good game.

Slow down there Chris. I love the game. It seemed for a while there was new content on the site for Caylus every day: thoughts, strategies, questions. It's seemed to slowed down or died lately. I was just curious as to why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woohoo!!! Yah Caylus!!!

Nope, I guess not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hirsch
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up a copy a few days ago and played a few times. The balance is great and every session seems to increase my enjoyment with it with no game being the same as the one before. This will defintely be a contender for game of the year.

The chatter has probably died down because everyone is out playing the game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dawson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coffeeandgames wrote:
The chatter has probably died down because everyone is out playing the game...

LOL, maybe so. It seemed to die down as soon as people in the US started to get their copies. yuk I don't think that is why though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dawson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BrentCase wrote:
The infamous "Facts about Caylus" thread is still active at times.

I'm not familiar with this thread. Where is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
The hype isn't dead, but I think that the easy things to say about Caylus strategy have been said. There's enough to give a new player some grounding, and a basis to start on.

That being said, I think there's still quite a bit. Nobody's written on the endgame, or the late opening, or the (very complicated) middlegame. And the theory for 2 player may not generalize for multiplayer. I've been thinking about positions, but I can't quickly state conclusions ... I just have feelings. There's much about Caylus that's positional, in my mind. I can't always say why X is better than Y, but I'm confident it is. [Of course, I often can say why...]

And I have recently been informed that no university offers scholarships in this field, which means that I needn't publish as quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
checkmate123 wrote:
BrentCase wrote:
The infamous "Facts about Caylus" thread is still active at times.

I'm not familiar with this thread. Where is it?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/90227

You must read it. All of it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dawson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the hype hasn't died...it's back up to #2!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I extended the facts about caylus thread a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mitchell
United States
Elk Grove
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at games played for 2006. The numbers for Caylus..

January #2
February #7
March #3
April #2

And this is with limited copies.

David
"Spooooon"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Cauet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wardo wrote:
They absolutely missed an opportunity not having the game available for most of the winter.

Take it on the bright side: many people weren't fooled by the hype because they cannot buy it I found this fact quite illogical with the term "hype". If the game is good, it will be published again and again, so one just need to be patient. I think there are many good games to play while waiting! And you can still play it online.
Btw, with the next batch coming in May, it will be 25 000 copies produced (worldwide), which is definetly quite a bit for such a gamer's game.

I think it has been a bit crazy for the last few months around the game, it's becoming normal now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Holman
United Kingdom
Harrow
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
checkmate123 wrote:
I find it hard to even get a game of Caylus on Brettspielwelt.de anymore. shake

I got Caylus a couple of weeks ago, but couldn't get a game together F2F. I went to BSW and played 2 games no problem, and have watched many. There always seems to be at least 3 or 4 games going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Holman
United Kingdom
Harrow
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of you wanting to try it but unable to get a copy, the conversion at BSW has a very similar look/feel to the boardgame (unlike Puerto Rico), and there seem to be people prepared to teach n00bs - I got help in my first game with the interface, and I've seen several "teaching games" going on.

Given the info available online, it would probably be possible to construct your own crude copy to use until you could get your hands on a proper copy. I can guess the copyright etc implications of doing that, but morally I see nothing wrong in that if you buy the real game when you can get your hands on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dawson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Osidarta wrote:
Take it on the bright side: many people weren't fooled by the hype because they cannot buy it I found this fact quite illogical with the term "hype". If the game is good, it will be published again and again, so one just need to be patient. I think there are many good games to play while waiting! And you can still play it online.
Btw, with the next batch coming in May, it will be 25 000 copies produced (worldwide), which is definitely quite a bit for such a gamer's game.

I think it has been a bit crazy for the last few months around the game, it's becoming normal now

I actually think, in a strange sort of way, that the lack of access to the game has lead to greater hype. Let me explain.

When I saw a game that jumped to #3 in a matter of months, I wanted to know what the game was like. I read the rules (even though I'd never seen the game), I read reviews, even strategies. I'm a dork

When the game became available on BSW I jumped to play it. The "hype" made me more eager to play it then a game that I'd never heard of. I think the build-up made me hungry to play it more and more, to see how deep the game could get, and make up my own mind.

Now that the game has been made available to "most" everyone who wanted to play it or own it, some of the excitement over the "unknown" is gone, at least for me I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Cauet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
checkmate123 wrote:
I actually think, in a strange sort of way, that the lack of access to the game has lead to greater hype.

I think it is more a lack of concurrence in the gamer's game area during this period (for example, publishers at Nüremberg presented lighter, nonetheless excellent, games).
Well you may be right, I am not in people's head But this lack is nothing intentionnal but rather a consequence of an unexpected success.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rosewater
Switzerland
Zürich
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ixnay66 wrote:
People have been tossing around the word "hype" with Caylus before it was even released and there simply wasn't any hype by definition.

I am with you Chris. Everyone misusing the term "hype" should be deducted 1 GeekGold (no matter what game he/she is talking about). They would learn to use delicate terms more carefully.

The better apt expression here would be "buzz" about Caylus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add some hype:

OMG best game EVAR!!!!

Well... it's pretty good. I recently got it and played a couple of times and thought they were great gaming experiences. If my fiance enjoyed it more (she feels like she is doing work when playing Caylus) then it would probably hit the table frequently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dawson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goodsound wrote:
ixnay66 wrote:
People have been tossing around the word "hype" with Caylus before it was even released and there simply wasn't any hype by definition.

I am with you Chris. Everyone misusing the term "hype" should be deducted 1 GeekGold (no matter what game he/she is talking about). They would learn to use delicate terms more carefully.

The better apt expression here would be "buzz" about Caylus.

I'm sorry Dan but your comment struck me as pretty condescending. Hype defined earlier was

1. "Excessive publicity and the ensuing commotion."

I think the commotion about Caylus fits the definition of "hype". For some reason I think some people feel that hype has a negative connotation. I don't. I think Caylus lives up to the hype. It had a high ranking, I really wanted to play it, I think the high ranking is appropriate. IT'S A GOOD GAME!!!

The definition does not at all infer that the publisher has to push a game for it to be "hype" as Chris inferred earlier. The rating system, by this definition, creates hype about EVERY game, rather good or bad. The rankings gave Caylus "Excessive publicity" and the shake up in the ranking caused "ensuing commotion". Please explain to me where I've gone wrong?

Oh and here's you GeekGold Dan. yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
Are there really BGG users in the US who can't find a copy? I can't seem to sell mine in the BGG Marketplace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Potvin
United States
Brooklyn Park
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hype in my dictionary (Webster Handy College Dictionary) is defined as - Flattering Publicity.

How dare anyone say this game has had flaterring publicityangry, lighten up some of you Caylus fans (you know who you are).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.