Dark Darker Darkest» Forums » Rules

Subject: Destroyed Rooms and Darkness Track Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Polk
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I really like the game so far, but like other people I have a few questions about how to interpret the rules.

The rules say that, prior to the final showdown, when a room is completely destroyed by fire, the Darkness Track is advanced one spot. They also say that when the Darkness Track reaches 5, "the final round starts" and "If the players fail to enter the lab during this round, the game ends and all players lose." Does this hold true, even when a room is destroyed during the Action Phase because of fire spreading after enemy reactions, and the players have already used all their APs? Or does "the final round" start at the beginning of the next Upkeep phase?

For instance, at the start of the turn, during Event Resolution, the Darkness Track advances to 4. The lab has previously been unlocked, and all the players are heading toward the lab. All the players start the turn in the same room, so they are on a single team, for regrouping purposes. They all moved in tandem toward the lab, and after the enemy reaction phase the fire spreads and results in a room being destroyed. Therefore the Darkness Track advances to 5. Does that mean the game was instantly lost? All the players had used all their APs already, and so there was no way to get anyone into the lab that turn.

I feel like the intent of the current phrasing of the Darkness Track rules is to give players one more turn to get to the lab, but in this instance they don't have that opportunity. It seems like you should get one more set of actions after the Darkness Track gets to 5 no matter what (which would normally happen, if the Darkness Track was advanced during Upkeep, and you still had the Action Phase to go).

I guess I feel like the rules imply that yes, the game is lost at the moment the room was destroyed, but I am hoping that is not the case. It seems unfair to lose because of an unfortunate dice roll. (And in the example above, the Darkness Track had just reached 4, so there would have been plenty of additional time!) Does anyone have any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Johnson
United States
Orinda
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you saying you had unlocked the lab but not entered it yet? In that case you would lose the game, but only one AP away.
THe moment you enter the lab you flip the multitracker and get a new Darkness track.
Otherwise the game is not lost the moment the Darkness track advances to 5, but at the end of the round, so in most cases I think you would have a last set of movements to get into the lab. If I understand your case correctly, you had used all your APs so yes, you do lose. angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"The players win the game if they manage to eliminate the nemesis before he is able to destroy 3 corner rooms. If he manages to complete his destructive mission, the team loses."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Polk
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
P Johnson:
Yeah, in the scenario I described we had unlocked the lab, but had not yet made our way to it, and the Final Showdown had not begun yet. I think I agree, and we actually lost at the moment the fire destroyed the room. What a drag.

Tyrone:
We had not yet made it to the lab yet, so the Final Showdown rules were not in effect. Unfortunately, we didn't get to that part.

However, in the "tweaks" section on the last page of the instruction manual, it provided the suggestion of possibly giving players one extra turn to reach the lab after reaching Darkness Level 5. Since that was a suggested rule change, I feel a little less bad about fudging the rules and continuing to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.