Subject: I actually saw a Monolith installed today! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Rooster
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am still pretty new to the game but I actually played a game on OCTGN against someone who installed a Monolith today. He spent quite a few turns churning through cards and building up credits to do it but when it was installed it was pretty impressive. An instant breaker suite appears out of thin air. However by that time I had a San San installed and protected and had scored 5 agenda points already. I was just thrilled to see it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monolith - Losing games since 2013
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daine .

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
OCTGN - where bad decks go to practice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rooster
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
It sure seems that way. I always thought it should be install 3 up to three programs from your grip or stack with the reduced costs. That would seem to me to make it a bit more versatile but perhaps that would be overpowered too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain Less
Canada
Gatineau
Qu├ębec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had one in my Kate deck just for laugh. I got it out once I don't remember how, my opponent was all amazed to see it! The funniest thing was that I died to net damage, completely forgetting about the ability to prevent damage. I guess I was blinded by it, it's so big!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Master Fwiffo
United States
California
flag msg tools
At my last tourney, I ran a Professor deck with Monolith on a whim.

On my final game (when I knew I was pretty much last place for certain), I got Monolith installed on the third turn.

I still lost, but all the tournament goers agreed I had the moral victory in that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vuud wrote:
I had one in my Kate deck just for laugh. I got it out once I don't remember how, my opponent was all amazed to see it! The funniest thing was that I died to net damage, completely forgetting about the ability to prevent damage. I guess I was blinded by it, it's so big!

It doesn't really prevent netdamage; only lets you choose to discard a program instead of a random discard. So you would have died to the net damage either way. It does let you convert brain damage into discarding a card of your choice though, which is really good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Keys
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Interrupt.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a single deck with Monolith once. I had an opening hand of Peronsal Workshop, Kati Jones, Monolith, Sure Gamble, and one of the three breakers I wanted to install with it. I got it installed by turn five or six, I think, at which point I had more than enough cash and all of my breakers that I wanted to install in-hand. It may have been an exciting feeling to get it out, and I did go on to win the game, but I didn't feel that getting an instant rig like that was worth the time and investment. Still, I haven't played it again so that I can say I have a 100% win rate with my Monolith decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
Daine wrote:

Haha! Yeah, stupid stupids, having fun with their non-championship decks. Stupid!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Freeman
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
But here is the real question. Will Eureka! make Monolith viable? I think it is a possibility in Exile or Professor decks running big programs and motivation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corwin David
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CapAp wrote:
Daine wrote:

Haha! Yeah, stupid stupids, having fun with their non-championship decks. Stupid!

That was exactly what I was thinking. How many times do you have to play HB fast advance or Katman to know what it does? I've played against those 2 decks more on OCTGN than against people in real life.

The lack of creativity and the negative stigma attached to decks that are operating outside of the box shakes my faith in this community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Law
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
DJhedgehog wrote:
CapAp wrote:
Daine wrote:

That was exactly what I was thinking. How many times do you have to play HB fast advance or Katman to know what it does? I've played against those 2 decks more on OCTGN than against people in real life.

The lack of creativity and the negative stigma attached to decks that are operating outside of the box shakes my faith in this community.

To be fair, people need to play with those lists to understand them properly, and OCTGN is the go to place. I can't count how many times on BGG I've seen someone post about something critical about one of a top deckbuilder's list and gotten "Have you even played with this list?" in response.

Of course, I type this as someone who has loaded exactly two decklists into OCTGN, an experimental Whizzard denial list and an abysmal Next Design list, so I guess I shouldn't talk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Double Plus Undead
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DJhedgehog wrote:
CapAp wrote:
Daine wrote:

I saw the same thing happen with Magic, during Revised. Every white deck had 4x Serra Angels, 4x Healing Salve, etc. etc. Every red deck had 4x Shivan Dragons, 4x Fireball, etc. etc. It was stupefyingly dull. What happens is a certain strong deck type becomes popular, and everybody copies it. That doesn't mean that it's the only strong deck type, or even "the best"...it's just the most popular. However, because of its ubiquity, a deck type will come to be perceived as "the best". When you have tournaments, that tends to shake things up, though.

(My current play style is to have 2 tournament decks, and 2 experimental decks. The experimental decks are where I put my unusual, half-baked ideas, such as Professor decks.)

Having said that, I have no freaking clue how to use Monolith. Maybe you can Stimhack it off a Personal Workshop, but that still sounds pretty expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
pirate_chef wrote:
I saw the same thing happen with Magic, during Revised. Every white deck had 4x Serra Angels, 4x Healing Salve, etc. etc. Every red deck had 4x Shivan Dragons, 4x Fireball, etc. etc. It was stupefyingly dull. What happens is a certain strong deck type becomes popular, and everybody copies it. That doesn't mean that it's the only strong deck type, or even "the best"...it's just the most popular. ...

My knowledge of Magic is limited to say the least, but isn't there a very popular article called 'who's the beatdown' that addresses that exact point?

It's a recurring phenomenon in modern card games.

In regards to LOL-decks on OCTGN:
I used to play Warmachine and Hordes competitively. I can't, for the life of me, bring myself to obsess over competitive decks and builds anymore. I play to have fun and netrunner, by far, is the best game to do so. Even slightly silly decks can often perform just fine if you know how to swing them just right. No other game I've come across does this. Honestly I'd suspect that Netrunner attracts a tremendous amount of casual gamers because the game is tremendously good on a casual basis. If you want to measure e-peens isn't is possible to make a ranked and an unranked league on OCTGN is sort of the same way that http://fumbbl.com/ does?

It works so well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DJhedgehog wrote:
CapAp wrote:
Daine wrote:

You should play me sometime

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.