Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mb
Brass: Lancashire

Age of Industry

Or.

Shipyard

I am currently trying to add mid to heavy weight Euro's to my collection:

After watching Rahdo's video on Shipyard I thought it would be something that I would enjoy. It seems to have the right amount of depth for me and my group and we currently don't have a Rondel game in our collections, with the exception of Tzolk'in.

Then as I looked at it in my checkout list I second guessed my decision. Brass and its successor Age of industry are games I have looked at in the past and considered purchasing. Due to self imposed limited collection size I feel I will most like only ever buy one of these three games.

Would I be making a grievous error in picking Shipyard over these other games. The only other Wallace game I've played is A few acres of Snow, and its a game I like quite a bit. Not really a good indicator as the mechanisms in these games seems to have nothing in common.

experienced players of these games please share your thoughts on the games in question and if any in your opinion is the superior experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
This is the best thread title I've seen in a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Spencer
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mb
Glad you enjoyed it,
was fearful It might make me seem like a PUCKERING DANDY PRAT...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
This is the best thread title I've seen in a long time.
But there was no need to shout it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both Brass and Shipyard, though not AoI.

I like Shipyard a great deal, though it can be long with four, and set up and tear down are both long because of the many bits. It's strengths for me are that it is a peaceful and intellectual exercise trying to put ships together which meet your secret goals in the most advantageous way. It is quite solitary, so if that bothers you, you may want to look elsewhere.

Brass is a game I like, but less so than Shipyard. To be fair, I only played it once and against experienced players which may have soured the experience for me a bit. It requires a lot of long range planning, and is a less solitary experience than Shipyard as you can more directly affect your opponents.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brass. If you want a rondel, Navegador.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:

I disagree. If ever there were a time when shouting is appropriate, it's when you're speaking a lot of nonsense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Spencer
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for your thoughts Thomas, the solitary aspect of Shipyard is not something that bothers me. We have plenty of games that let us bloody up each others SMELLERS(noses) and offer up a few HALF MORNINGS (black eyes).

And the setting up of games is not something that really bothers me, it's actually something that I enjoy doing. I often unbox and set up games on my table from time to time between sessions knowing all the while that the game is not going to get played. Weird yeah.

Another thing about Brass and Age of Industry that puts it in the runner up position at the moment is the graphic design of the board(S). The stark blue on the Age of Industry board is something I don't think I could overlook, the game would have to be the clear winner in game play for me to take that leap. I LOVE IT LIKE THE DEVIL LOVES HOLY WATER.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy both Shipyard and Brass, but they're very different experiences. Brass is an economic game that's very confrontational in terms of board play. You will get screwed by your neighbor taking your spot, or using your coal, or delivering to your port, etc. etc. Some gamers like that sort of angst, others don't. It's very thinky.

There is a lot less confrontation/interaction in Shipyard. While it may look like an economic game, it's not--it's really about set collection. It's definitely a more relaxed game, though there are still a ton of different options.

I wouldn't get Age of Industry as I see it as strictly inferior to Brass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Brass is an utterly amazing game. If you can get a steady group of 3P or 4P (four is a bit better but either is good) to delve into the game, you will understand why it is so highly rated. It is deceptive from the short rules (poorly written) and offers more than meets the eye.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Spencer
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mb
Another point of interest,
I have read all about the broken contracts in Shipyard and how they create a broken end game scoring. This is not something I particular worry about either. As i stated above, we have played and continue to play A few acres of snow without the Halifax hammer ever rearing its ugly head.

We are casual gamers and don't usually try and break games down or even play each again enough in succession to run into the combos that may seem broken to the more experienced and learned board gamers that roam these waters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Spencer
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mb
Three or four you say, that is the composition of our usual game group. I'm thinking I will have to re watch the Rahdo video breakdown of Brass, though he covers it as a 2 player experience using variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I much prefer Shipyard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Spencer
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for chiming in Curt, I appreciate your opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mademan wrote:
Would I be making a grievous error in picking Shipyard over these other games?

I think you would be. Not because Shipyard isn't a good game--I've never played it. But I know enough about Brass and Shipyard that it would be a mistake to consider them similar enough to force yourself to choose one or the other.

Get Brass. It's amazing. When you want a rondel game, consider Shipyard. Please don't lump them into the same buying category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:

I DISAGREE. IF EVER THERE WERE A TIME WHEN SHOUTING IS APPROPRIATE, IT'S WHEN YOU'RE SPEAKING A LOT OF NONSENSE.
ftfy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn. I thought this was a spam thread. Damn.

Nothing to see here, move along, keep moving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:

Me too, I was curious why there were so many replies to a bot spam thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Industry is one of my favorite games. Unlike what others have said of Brass, it is not confrontational. There is a lot of player interaction, however, just not a lot you can do to screw somebody else over. The interactions between players are one of the things I like a lot about it. Players must play things that end up helping other players, and by helping other players, they get ahead. For example, not every Cotton Mill will be able to sell their goods if other players don't build Ports. Building Ports will make you money only when a player sells their goods. But you can't really build anything unless you have Iron and Coal, so players that supply Iron & Coal will end up making money simply from you building things. There is a lot of subtle interaction, and it is difficult to arrive at a solid strategy, so you have to consider the game turn-by-turn, according to what other players have done and what you think they will do. It differs from Brass in that Brass is meant to be a challenging game with a lot of the conflict being just from staying afloat. Instead, AoI relies on subtle player interaction. It is also shorter and much more streamlined.

I felt Shipyard was too fiddly. It didn't achieve anything I hadn't seen better done in other games, and the gameplay is fairly straight-forward, so I didn't enjoy it much. It also takes a LONG time to play with 4. The feeling (and there are plenty, I'm sure, that will disagree) I got from the game was similar to that of Dungeon Petz, in that you're taking actions and accumulating things to better serve your ships (or pets) to accomplish goals (customers and exhibitions in DP). The mechanics between the two are pretty different, as Shipyard uses rondels, but as the game plays out similarly, I felt Shipyard was needlessly complicated, and that its complexity didn't translate into depth. I ended up trading Shipyard awhile ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Spencer
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mb
As for the thoughts on this being a spam thread,

The words above are simply slang, euphemisms, and terms from the late 1800's many dealing with the work people did during that time. I thought it was quite fitting to the question being asked inside.

Granted even as I wrote it, in all caps I debated how it would be recieved. O' well, it accomplished its purpose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mademan wrote:
As for the thoughts on this being a spam thread,

The words above are simply slang, euphemisms, and terms from the late 1800's many dealing with the work people did during that time. I thought it was quite fitting to the question being asked inside.

Granted even as I wrote it, in all caps I debated how it would be recieved. O' well, it accomplished its purpose.

I LIKED IT. surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Spencer
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the imput Aaron, interesting comparison to Dungeon Petz. Which happens to be my wife's favorite game. Granted the theme of raising lil cute monsters probably appeals to her more than building ships and taking them for joy rides down the english channel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: RUFFLERS, etc
JohnnyDollar wrote:
EYE of NiGHT wrote:

Me too, I was curious why there were so many replies to a bot spam thread

What? Can that mean you have not seen that sort of thing before? Perhaps in the BGG National Treasure?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Spencer
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for sharing that, I don't often venture outside of the normal game threads and this is certainly random and OOC for the site. Offered up a few laughs. Gratitude.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek S
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first saw the thread title, I thought "now there's a fellow newfie!". I was wrong, but close!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.